It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

They’re not saying it’s aliens, but signal traced to sunlike star sparks SETI interest

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Mclaneinc

Just as surprising; we find no one.

Its certainly a possibility but logic dictates the chances are otherwise..

The idea is definitely a cruel one, I doubt we would feel special as being the only ones, more like a mistake that was never repeated, certainly a very lonely idea...

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tjoran
With the experiment that possibly shows life after death.

What experiment are you talking about?

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: Greggers

Well in a way we already have been broadcasting our presence as a species since the invention of TV.

God knows what any potential alien species will make of our race with crap such as this polluting the cosmos all the same.

Just wait until they encounter Coronation Street.
LoL

Well, the problem (or maybe we shouldn't call it a problem, considering the Hitler video) is that our television signals are omnidirectional and relatively weak and would fade into the background microwave radiation by the time they reached a distance of about 200 light years from earth. So yes, we have been broadcasting, but to a very limited distance. This is one reason why the Fermi Paradox isn't really paradox.
edit on 29-8-2016 by Greggers because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-8-2016 by Greggers because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

the problem isn't whether or not we are alone in the universe, but are we alone at this point in time right now as I type these words.

On a universal scale, the amount of time we have as a species existed is so small, that there could have been millions of other civilizations out there, the issue is, are they still around right now. The same goes the other way, there could be millions of other civilizations in the future after our species has gone extinct.

I believe that the universe is thriving with life, the issue is more of a when it was or when it will be, rather than are we alone.
edit on 29-8-2016 by pigsy2400 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   

This star system is only 95 light years distant so i suppose there could at least be some chance of signals that originate hear on Earth being picked up, possibly even by now.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
because the likelihood of an artificial radio signal is plausible even...
-the chances of another species evolving in the same manner as us has the same probability metrics as us finding another species who's evolved to the same point we're at technologically.

ill elaborate slightly...

we presume other races would develop in similar fashion as us, or have senses and numskull like we do, or the way we translate things to understand them is how potential ETs would as well, and thus would build or have technology to read and detect the forces as we do.... no respectable scientist would ever make such claim, if evolution happens randomly and would differ each time.

we're not looking for ETs, were looking for ourselves.

we're 1% different than Chimps, and look at our differences, imagine a species 99% different than us, would we even recognize them ro think theyre alive?

science has failed and sensationalized the extra terrestrial idea for so long. so now, any anomaly is a 'potential' of 'something'... just not saying what it is
i smh every time we try to humanize every modicum of interesting findings not from earth. i.e. the 'dyson sphere', why would we think an advanced race wouldnt secede the need to use ungodly amounts of energy, advanced civilizations would use less energy to do more unlike us...
science is now pandering to the masses and telling them what they want to hear.

Yeah ok. But you have to understand that one of the reasons we developed the use of radio signals is because it's just fundamental technology. It's like mathematics, or harnessing electricity, or microwaves, things that any culture would figure out with time. So the idea of ET using radio waves isn't far fetched but it would be obvious that whoever out there is sending signals that we can receive probably aren't the ET's that visit our planet.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Tempter

No!
I didn't!

What if it held the information on how to cause a star to nova? Did you think of that? I didn't.

What if it was an alien LOL reply because the priest who saw
the Virgin Mary and the spinning jumping Sun in New Zealand
was named Andrew Nutter.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   

This star system is only 95 light years distant so i suppose there could at least be some chance of signals that originate hear on Earth being picked up, possibly even by now.

Given this star's proximity, that's a fair point.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Some more info -

Is Earth being contacted by ALIENS? Mystery radio signals coming from a sun-like star baffle scientists

A spike in radio signals coming from the direction of a sun-like star has excited astronomers. Scientists suggest they are likely to be the result of a natural phenomenon, such as 'microlensing', in which the star's gravity strengthens and focus signals from farther away

'Working out the strength of the signal, the researchers say that if it came from an isotropic beacon, it would be of a power possible only for a Kardashev Type II civilisation.'

'If it were a narrow beam signal focused on our solar system, it would be of a power available to a Kardashev Type I civilisation.'

The Kardashev scale is a way of measuring an alien society's technological advancement based upon how much energy it has at its disposal.

A Type I civilisation is given to species who have been able to harness all the energy that is available from a nearby star, gathering and storing it to meet its population's demands.

A Type II civilisation is much more advanced and can harness the power of their entire star.

Type III is a species that has been able to master everything having to do with energy. Earth doesn't feature on the scale.

'This is a bit of a puzzling story, as the Russians found this signal a year ago or so, but just didn't let others know,' Seth Shostak, senior astronomer at the SETI Institute told GeekWire.

edit on 29-8-2016 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   
You sound like a very depressed dumb@$$ when you say things like that.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   
A year ago? If that's the speed of our reaction time we'll never find Aliens.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Vdogg

'This is a bit of a puzzling story, as the Russians found this signal a year ago or so, but just didn't let others know,' Seth Shostak, senior astronomer at the SETI Institute told GeekWire.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Lol or black adder

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   

We've been broadcasting for about 100 years now, so yeah. A bubble of 200 lightyears across is now enlighted with our superb culture through radio transmitions. Maybe they catch Orson Welles' episode of war of the worlds and come try to rescue us. I hope they don't mind a joke or two. ;-)

And that 200 lightyears is nothing, a small dot in the Milkyway. And with so many galaxies, my mind explodes when trying to put perspective on it.

extent-of-human-radio-broadcasts
edi t on 29/8/2016 by chrismir because: typo

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Interesting find and the first thread that has interested me enough to read it in its entirety for some time now.

The 'spike' only lasted for two seconds and hasn't been repeated?

I would have thought that if the source had been from some sort of alien civilisation then it would be a constant stream or repeated at regular intervals.

But neither does a one off signal suggest that there is some natural occurring source to the signal.

Then again, we have only been 'listening' for a very, very short time - who really knows exactly what is out there?

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   

I wonder if anyone, in a position of responsibility, had ever thought that a culture which could have picked up our transmissions may have abandoned radio waves so long ago they may not even recognize them as communications. They may not even be looking for or expecting to find another "advanced" civilization beyond themselves. They could have given up the search for others a long time age and done something which they found more productive with their technologies. After all WE are not the center of this galaxy much less the universe.

Except for the real estate, I don't think we could have much in the way of resources an alien race could need very badly.
edit on 29-8-2016 by tinymind because: After thought

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   

hey op in that video from 0.56 to 0.59, do you or anyone see the Virgin Mary?

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

Hey any pictures of this phenomenon

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   

I'm a Negative Nancy on this topic because I truly believe we are alone - technologically, environmentally, and psychologically trapped on our lovely blue planet.

As you describe, yes we are explores and it's likely in our DNA. I believe thru our explorations of space we'll learn more about sciences and technology, maybe even religion and philosophy, but I don't think we'll find anything alive out there.

We're trapped. And alone. At the very least we should try colonizing Mars if we can get our act together.

ETA. And maybe we'll make new life forms with advances in science beyond donkey's and sheep, that would be grand. We can create "aliens" and maybe that's real artificial intelligence, and maybe that "life form" can venture into deep space. But humans, no such luck.
edit on 29-8-2016 by Jason88 because: Tangent addition

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinymind
Except for the real estate, I don't think we could have much in the way of resources an alien race could need very badly.

Humans are the resource, we're the rare item in the universal ocean. Quantum minds are surely an asset. But, we're alone.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join