It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

They’re not saying it’s aliens, but signal traced to sunlike star sparks SETI interest

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 01:15 AM
a reply to: Xcathdra

I hope this yeilds real results and is transparent. This ia very exciting!

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 01:45 AM

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Tempter

I didn't!

What if it held the information on how to cause a star to nova? Did you think of that? I didn't.

Oblig: Link

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 02:58 AM
A single spike? What did the signal look like? Why do they speculate it may have been "intelligent"?

Why send a spike into space? It kinda looks like aliens but could be something else. If you're going to spend the money and make that powerful of a signal then why not send one thats distinct, removing all doubt? Hw come space isn't filled with broadcasts and traffic?

Imo because we are primitive, the signals are there, we just aren't in the right spectrum, dimension, whatever. Like listening for radio signals through a conch shell. Or they aren't telling us what they are receiving, just like they hide all the real UFO evidence, too.
edit on 29-8-2016 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 03:08 AM
a reply to: imsoconfused

maybe a signal they sent 500 years ago. Maybe like our Voyager.

Not likely.

Voyager is just over 15 light hours out. At that distance, huge satellite arrays have to be focused precisely on a tiny spot to receive the signal. About like detecting a garage door opener on Mars.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 03:56 AM
a reply to: intrptr

Only 15 light hours.

Damn. That's very, very far.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 04:03 AM
finding possible mega structures at a distant star

and now this ! but it was a Year ago ...

now being reviled to the public ??

wow a lot have been discovered and exposed

wormhole like portals too and from the Sun

Natural partial accelerator over earth

New ideas and theories in Quantum entanglement

phantom unknown particles in CERNS accelerator ..

Weird unexplained Mandela Effect type stuff ...
been going on lately.. like the Latest here on ATS

DOLLY JAWS Love of his Life ...
from Ian Flemmings ... James Bond MOONRAKER
Had Braces and now she doesn't ?

a Mind Trick Game ?

more Oddities on the Rise ...

We going in the 4th dimension i guess ...

hold on!

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 04:05 AM

Only 15 light hours.

Not really, Sir Richard Branson and Virgin are already planning a night train service to there

Seriously, who is to say that we won't solve distance travel, of course it will be long after I've passed and probably a few hundred years but I firmly believe we will get there and then the game really begins, what and or who we will meet could really be a surprise...

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 04:06 AM
a reply to: Mclaneinc

Just as surprising; we find no one.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 04:07 AM
a reply to: odzeandennz

You appear to be under the assumption that this Radio signal would have to be the result of some far off alien equivilent
of our seti, tv or some random ham radio operator with a jigawatt burner lol. The radio telescopes pick up freqs way outside the narrow bands of our telecoms systems. What they look at are bursts of energy that exibit not random characteristicts that float above the normal background mush of space, filtered out from known sources such as quasars that produce steady radio emissions as part of their natural process.

Were more likely to pick up the em radiation from an exploding piece of their tech than ever the alien equivilent of "breaker 19 for a copy"

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 04:28 AM

Only 15 light hours.

15 light years ?

it like 20 Now!

anyhow Carl Sagan would be Amused !

Contact Vega in all

if it start pulsing with prime Numbers let me know!

Sorry couldn't resist myself ...

I can see it Now!!

in a Planet in the constellation Hercules, known as HD 164595.

a civilization like us 95 light years away !
Had sent a Radio signal to our star system ..
and we finally got it !

the Signal was sent when we started radio signaling in broadcast stations
in 1920 ...

how odd !

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 04:33 AM

Looks like the dish at Parkes.

Be cool if it was also first contact as well as first men on the moon!

... and it's still in a paddock full of sheep.

edit on 29/8/2016 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 06:27 AM

originally posted by: odzeandennz
because the likelihood of an artificial radio signal is plausible even...
-the chances of another species evolving in the same manner as us has the same probability metrics as us finding another species who's evolved to the same point we're at technologically.

ill elaborate slightly...

we presume other races would develop in similar fashion as us, or have senses and numskull like we do, or the way we translate things to understand them is how potential ETs would as well, and thus would build or have technology to read and detect the forces as we do.... no respectable scientist would ever make such claim, if evolution happens randomly and would differ each time.

we're not looking for ETs, were looking for ourselves.

we're 1% different than Chimps, and look at our differences, imagine a species 99% different than us, would we even recognize them ro think theyre alive?

science has failed and sensationalized the extra terrestrial idea for so long. so now, any anomaly is a 'potential' of 'something'... just not saying what it is
i smh every time we try to humanize every modicum of interesting findings not from earth. i.e. the 'dyson sphere', why would we think an advanced race wouldnt secede the need to use ungodly amounts of energy, advanced civilizations would use less energy to do more unlike us...
science is now pandering to the masses and telling them what they want to hear.

Feel better after you got that off your chest?

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 07:07 AM
a reply to: Tempter

It's not like a building a star gate could be done with the technology available to us today so if they did somehow managed to include a design for such a thing they better also include a full list of how to produce the necessary materials.

And you don't give information like that away to potential children, it would be like saying to a kid "Hi they we live only a few systems over, oh by the way here is a box of matches and a can of gasoline, have fun".

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 07:14 AM
a reply to: Greggers

Well in a way we already have been broadcasting our presence as a species since the invention of TV.

God knows what any potential alien species will make of our race with crap such as this polluting the cosmos all the same.

Just wait until they encounter Coronation Street.
edit on 29-8-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 07:26 AM

There was also another thread about a signal that was picked up from another star 100 light-years away.

What was intriguing about that one was that the signal was that it was on a frequency that was the hydrogen line frequency * pi. They never picked up that signal again to verify it though.

Here's the thread about it:

a reply to: Phage

Don't be such a Debbie Downer.

edit on 29-8-2016 by Junkheap because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 07:36 AM

Very cool information right there.

If it were proven to be a non-natural signal the ramifications would be historic. Who would make the decision on whether to try to answer or not? I mean it couldn't just be down to one person, right?

I am not sure it would be wise at our stage in development to shout out to the universe "we are here, come say hello".

Might get a message back along the lines of:

"Thank you for responding, we search the galaxy for other intelligent lifeforms, in order to cleanse it of impurity. Our emissaries are on their way. Do not feel bad about your imminent demise as a species, it is simply how it has to be."

edit on 29-8-2016 by Jonjonj because: format

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 07:48 AM
Good find. To me it only proves the hidden agenda to brainwash humanity more and more. If it's not barbarians, heathens or Turks it will be terrorists and aliens. Rome does not got any more genius for all this time.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 07:48 AM

Only 15 light hours.

Puny humans...

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 07:51 AM
a reply to: odzeandennz

I understand what you are saying
But the laws of the universe show that energy must be used in order for there to b activity of any kind.
We use a lo of energy, but that's only according to us. On the grand scale of it all, it's only a tiny, tiny, tiny fraction of what some of the objects out there consume, black holes etc.
If there was an advanced civilization with intelligent beings, it can go either way, they may be like dolphins. Smart and cunning, but no need for technology, or they can be somewhat like us. They need technology to survive, I'm which case the more advanced their technology gets, the more energy they need.
Think about how a super computer works, or how a quantum computer works they need massive amounts of energy to run.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 08:16 AM

originally posted by: Jason88

Are we alone in the universe

Yes, we are.

You know how people go insane when they're put in a quiet room? The sound of their breathing, blood pumping, teeth clicking, bones cracking, build up and the absolute silence maddens them?

That's us Earthlings.

There's nothing out there and we're wishing something, anything into existence to rid the silence.

We're alone. Ain't nobody visiting from another planet or dimension.

Sure there might be life out there. But we're alone. And will be until our star dies.

It's like when I first started doing the National Lottery...every week I would check the numbers against the ones on my ticket, and oh, the disappointment!

It's not that there isn't intelligent life somewhere in the incomprehensible expanse; just incredibly unlikely we'll find a similar mind-bogglingly improbale fluke in our small patch.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>