It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

They’re not saying it’s aliens, but signal traced to sunlike star sparks SETI interest

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: imsoconfused

If that were the case thought why send the original signal in such a way that it took 500 years to get here in the first place?

Think the alleged signal originated 95 light years distant so theoretically if we managed to decode and understand there signal and send our response we could expect there response in around 200 years.

Still makes communication in any meaningful manner tenuous at best and a multi generational affair.
edit on 28-8-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

No second recording of HD 164595’s blip in the more than 15 months since it happened.

Like WOW.
edit on 28-8-2016 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973

originally posted by: OneGoal
a reply to: markosity1973

Truth flu?

Maybe...

When I get this sick I start to think about life, death and what happens next.

And I always remember back to the mysterious Medjugorje experience that literally thousands of New Zealand folk, including me experienced back in February 1993.

What we saw and experienced nobody could ever convince me was fake or mass hysteria. The part that puzzles me to this day are the frenzied media reports of UFO sightings OVER THE VERY LOCATION we were at while it was all happening.

Never knew about that ill have to look into that occurrence.

I know exactly what you mean though. Had experiences similar to what you describe as well, corroborated by multiple witnesses on many occasions. Seen many strange craft in the sky in my day.

You know what they say though, "ill believe that when i see it." Well, you sure as # can count on a lot of skeptics and naysayers gettin an eyeful this century. And when they do, you can count on vindication.
edit on 28-8-2016 by OneGoal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

If that were the case thought why send the original signal in such a way that it took 500 years to get here in the first place?

Think the alleged signal originated 95 light years distant so theoretically if we managed to decode and understand there signal and send our response we could expect there response in around 200 years.

Still makes communication in any meaningful manner tenuous at best and a multi generational affair.

Well so we could detect it by rudimentary means. Im not saying it is meant specifically for us just for anyone that might detect it.

Hypothetically of course.

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tjoran
Things feel as though they are speeding up a bit, Discovery wise. With the experiment that possibly shows life after death, to the star that might have a dyson sphere, To this signal and much more. So much in such a short period of time. Very exciting time to be alive.

Which discovery? The one that found some genes produce proteins after the death of the organism? That is not life. One of the prime indicators of life is the ability to reproduce. This ain't that.

Tabby's Star? Dyson sphere? No, not really.

But we are getting better and better tools. So as far as learning things goes, yes, exciting. However there are some currently some practical matters which are not so exciting. At least, not in a good way.

edit on 8/28/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973

a reply to: markosity1973

Truth flu?

Maybe...

When I get this sick I start to think about life, death and what happens next.

And I always remember back to the mysterious Medjugorje experience that literally thousands of New Zealand folk, including me experienced back in February 1993.

What we saw and experienced nobody could ever convince me was fake or mass hysteria. The part that puzzles me to this day are the frenzied media reports of UFO sightings OVER THE VERY LOCATION we were at while it was all happening.

Never knew about that ill have to look into that occurrence.

I know exactly what you mean though. Had experiences similar to what you describe as well, corroborated by multiple witnesses on many occasions. Seen many strange craft in the sky in my day.

You know what they say though, "ill believe that when i see it." Well, you sure as # can count on a lot of skeptics and naysayers gettin an eyeful this century. And when they do, you can count on vindication.

Because it's pre internet, and New Zealand, it's pretty hard to find much with Google. Metro Magazine (Auckland, an extremely atheist publication) ran an article on it though. They were at a loss to explain what happened given the number of people that corroborated the story. In the end they out it down to 'Crazy Catholic syndrome'

One of the issues they could not explain away though is Phillip Sherry, a highly respected news anchor and household name in NZ was there. And he too witnessed the events.

ETA, here is what I can find on it through the interweb

www.nzcatholic.org.nz...

(This link comes up as unsafe because its certificate expired yesterday.)

natlib.govt.nz...

New Zealand (1993) In early March, during an open air meeting at the Medjugorje Peace Centre in Auckland, New Zealand, at which a representative from Medjugorje was one of the speakers, a band of colours appeared in the sky, though not in rainbow formation. Later, outside the nearby Cathedral, members of the congregation noticed that the sun appeared to be changing colour, to be spinning and "jumping". These phenomena were also accompanied by a vision of the Virgin Mary in the sky.

miracles.mcn.org...

edit on 28-8-2016 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Ahh no, I run away whenever the woman in the house put coronation street on the TV and knowing my luck this will turn out to be Alien Coronation Street.

Great find, joke's aside and if it turn's out to be I doubt we will hear about in the general public for at least 5 year's or they may just sit on it, leak's not withstanding.

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

originally posted by: Tjoran
Things feel as though they are speeding up a bit, Discovery wise. With the experiment that possibly shows life after death, to the star that might have a dyson sphere, To this signal and much more. So much in such a short period of time. Very exciting time to be alive.

Which discovery? The one that found some genes produce proteins after the death of the organism? That is not life. One of the prime indicators of life is the ability to reproduce. This ain't that.

Tabby's Star? Dyson sphere? No, not really.

But we are getting better and better tools. So as far as learning things goes, yes, exciting. However there are some currently some practical matters which are not so exciting. At least, not in a good way.

No, i was talking about the experiment done by technische universität of berlin, Although I'm not sure it's a real study or not. Notice how i said "Possibly" and "Might". You act as if I'm being definitive or something.

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Seti offered that "at home" data crunching
program, and promised to give credit to
those who discovered interesting "triplets"
and other anomalies.

Well they bailed on that gentleman's agreement
long ago.

There has been interesting Data for over a decade now.

That is all I have to say about that.
S&F

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

The aero gel discoveries.
I thinks that might be the issue.

Hold on, let me reach for my Lysol
Disinfecting wipes.....
Ahhh
all is good with JPL now
and I have disclosed nothing.

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Possibly.

However even if they managed to encode how to send a return signal, and we decided to do so, it it would still take 500 years for our signal to travel to there location and another 500 years for any response they decided to send. So realistically it would take a 1000 years to communicate. Talk about a long distance conversation.

I guess we'd better get started!

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wildmanimal

Seti offered that "at home" data crunching
program, and promised to give credit to
those who discovered interesting "triplets"
and other anomalies.

Well they bailed on that gentleman's agreement
long ago.

There has been interesting Data for over a decade now.

That is all I have to say about that.
S&F

The SETI@home program via BOINC from Berkley? Got it myself, and they absolutely do give credit to Setizens (participants/volunteers) when anomalies are found & papers presented (I have received credit for an anomalous signal) I don't know where you get your info from, but it ain't correct.
edit on 8/28/2016 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
because the likelihood of an artificial radio signal is plausible even...
-the chances of another species evolving in the same manner as us has the same probability metrics as us finding another species who's evolved to the same point we're at technologically.

ill elaborate slightly...

we presume other races would develop in similar fashion as us, or have senses and numskull like we do, or the way we translate things to understand them is how potential ETs would as well, and thus would build or have technology to read and detect the forces as we do.... no respectable scientist would ever make such claim, if evolution happens randomly and would differ each time.

we're not looking for ETs, were looking for ourselves.

we're 1% different than Chimps, and look at our differences, imagine a species 99% different than us, would we even recognize them ro think theyre alive?

science has failed and sensationalized the extra terrestrial idea for so long. so now, any anomaly is a 'potential' of 'something'... just not saying what it is
i smh every time we try to humanize every modicum of interesting findings not from earth. i.e. the 'dyson sphere', why would we think an advanced race wouldnt secede the need to use ungodly amounts of energy, advanced civilizations would use less energy to do more unlike us...
science is now pandering to the masses and telling them what they want to hear.

Whilst I agree completely with your point and make it myself frequently, I would also counter argue that the use of percentages and likelihoods could be misleading.

Out of all the millions of species on Earth we have currently evolved as the most the most technologically advanced, should all life start from the same thing, DNA, then there is a good chance that we (human form) or certainly our brains, would always form eventually and that similar intelligence would always happen no matter what the world, given the amount of time.

Of course, humans are a blip on the timeline of the Earth and over enough time could evolve again, but I think we will see talking pets first, or a boy that can swim like a shark.

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Tjoran

You act as if I'm being definitive or something.

No.
I asked a couple of questions. Not much acting involved.

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I have a SETI 101 question regarding the signal that this thread is discussing.

Is the signal assumed to be something that was beamed out into space intentionally to say "hello"? Or, did we perhaps get a piece of ongoing transmissions, where conditions were right for a chunk of it to make it to Earth, and we were listening to the correct part of the sky?

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Unless the first signal contained info to build a stargate! Did you ever think if that?

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

No!
I didn't!

What if it held the information on how to cause a star to nova? Did you think of that? I didn't.

edit on 8/28/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Are we alone in the universe

Yes, we are.

You know how people go insane when they're put in a quiet room? The sound of their breathing, blood pumping, teeth clicking, bones cracking, build up and the absolute silence maddens them?

That's us Earthlings.

There's nothing out there and we're wishing something, anything into existence to rid the silence.

We're alone. Ain't nobody visiting from another planet or dimension.

Sure there might be life out there. But we're alone. And will be until our star dies.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 12:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Jason88

So why look then?

Genetics?

'Cause it's next. 'Cause we came out of the cave, and we looked over the hill and we saw fire; and we crossed the ocean and we pioneered the west, and we took to the sky. The history of man is hung on a timeline of exploration and this is what's next.

Human kind has essentially mastered exploration on our blue little marble. We once thought a ship would fall off the edge of the earth if it sailed to far out. We once thought our planet was the center of the solar system / galaxy. It once took us months to cross the ocean. It once took months for communications to cross the ocean.

Then something happened.

2 brothers got an idea to build something that can fly.

That flight occurred in 1903.
By the 1950's we were sending items into space.
We were able to cross the ocean in a matter of hours.
We were able to communicate across the ocean in a matter of seconds.
We now have close to instantaneous communications around the globe.

We landed on the moon.
We landed on Mars.
We have sent probes to almost every planet in the Solar system.

Voyager I was launched on August September 5th, 1977 and It took the craft until 2015 to "leave" our solar system.
The Juno space craft was launched in 2011 and reached Jupiter in record time of only a few years.
We have designs / technology that would allow us to send a probe to Proxima Centauri and reach it within 20 years.

We are repeating in space what we experienced on Earth -
Great distances between planets.
a long time to get from one planet to another.
A long time to communicate between planets.
Expeditions led by a few to only be replaced by the masses.

Just like the early days of exploration on this planet we did not know what to expect when we reached another continent. Would it be empty? Teeming with wild life? Occupied by an unknown civilization?

We found the earth was not flat and the new continents were teeming with life and other civilizations. We will experience the same in space. We will find life in our solar system, most likely in the form of microbial life. We will find intelligent life in other solar systems.

We are not alone in the universe.

From a religious viewpoint I refuse to believe God / Higher power took the time to create the universe only to create Earth / life on earth only to grow bored and stop.

From a nature point of view I refuse to believe that the universe would be empty of life except for earth. Nature needs some kind of balance in just about everything. Only 1 planet with life out of the vastness of the universe would not be balanced.

There must be someone else out there and until we have explored every atom of the universe and found nothing, we are required to look and explore and keep asking questions...

like are we alone in the universe.

just my 2 cents...
edit on 29-8-2016 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 01:12 AM
link   
When the student is ready the teacher will appear..

Soon, God willing in our lifetime, it will be confirmed. I have a suspicion or intuition that as we begin to develop the ability to look ever deeper and farther and with new and improved methods of detection, that at some point we'll discover a trail of breadcrumbs left for us to discover, and that it will be unambiguous when we find it ie: it will contain math and science. However, radio astronomy might be too primitive. I think it will be transluminal and will allow for back and forth communication in real time.

Then again, we could also pick up an older technology employing radio waves and just happen to be looking at the right place at the right time ie: their own television or radio communications (although one wonders what they make of ours! when and if those signals are detected by some ET civilization). Then again, such waves could have already passed us by before human civilization began in the same way that when ours are detected, we'll have already passed off the scene (unless we make it to the stars).

I think that the zero point field will one day open itself up to a new form of sensory detection, and then well, information could end up coming in from the four corners of the cosmos to bombard us with all kinds of freaky stuff.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join