It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. State Department Official Calls for Repeal of Blasphemy Laws

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 03:33 AM
link   

David Saperstein, an Ambassador-at-Large for International Religious Freedom at the U.S. Department of State, has an important, aggressive recommendation at the department’s blog: Blasphemy laws around the world need to be abolished.

It is shocking to note that almost half of the world’s countries have laws and policies that criminalize blasphemy, apostasy, conversion, or so-called “defamation of religion.” These “crimes” are sometimes punishable by death, as is the case in 12 countries, or life imprisonment. The impact of such laws, which tend to be vague and poorly defined, tends to drastically limit the exercise of freedom of religion and expression. They all too often lead to the persecution of members of minority groups.

The task is daunting, but worthwhile because the repeal of blasphemy laws will ultimately, bring about a more free and prosperous world.

Source

Is it possible to make a logical argument for why blasphemy laws are ever justifiable? I can't think of one.

Why is it that David Saperstein failed to mention child brides? Allowing children to be 'sold' as child brides is even worse than blasphemy laws in my mind.

Why are child brides a blind spot for humanity?

When the slightly more sane authorities come out against child brides, it seems to be only something like the following. A "warning" or advice with no teeth.

A United Nations panel warned on Thursday of a rising number of young girls forced into marriage in Iran, calling on the Islamic republic to carry out stringent reforms on laws that allow girls as young as nine to wed.

The U.N. Committee on the Rights of the Child (CRC) said that Tehran must “repeal all provisions that authorize, condone or lead to child sexual abuse” and called for the age of sexual consent to be increased from nine years old to 16.

The panel said that Iran “allows sexual intercourse with girls as young as nine lunar years and that other forms of sexual abuse of even young children is not criminalized.” The minimum age of marriage in Iran is also nine years old, according to The Independent.

Source

It's great that people with some power are speaking out against this stuff. But, only speaking out does nothing to stop the evil from spreading.

edit on 28-8-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 04:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

"The task is daunting, but worthwhile because the repeal of blasphemy laws will ultimately, bring about a more free and prosperous world".

We'll all be more free than we are (every nation in the free world is already free) and we'll make more money to boot (except those that make money selling fake beards to women so they can attend the stonings)!

Oh yay.

edit on 28/8/2016 by chr0naut because: Apologies to all those who would rather oppose the systemization of the rape of minors. That is definitely no joke.

(post by Britguy removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   
The future will be secular.

Not in our lifetimes as long as theocracies use blasphemy laws to stall change. Saudi society needs blasphemy laws as much as Israel does.

None of them are able to dunk the blasphemy laws. It can't be done.

Saperstein will be forced to focus on weak countries in Africa and middle east. He might as well go tell the wind to stop blowing see how that works.

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

David Saperstein, an Ambassador-at-Large for International Religious Freedom at the U.S. Department of State, has an important, aggressive recommendation at the department’s blog: Blasphemy laws around the world need to be abolished.

Me thinks he doth protest too much.

Look to the log in their own eye.

War on Terror, Regime Change, Humanitarian Intervention, Islamic Jihadist, Muslim Extremist, all disingenuous terminology used to hide unjust war and conquest for territory and resources behind false premises.

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Blasphemy laws in low status countries need to be abolished. Or else.

That's what we heard him saying.

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: SilverOwls
a reply to: intrptr

Blasphemy laws in low status countries need to be abolished. Or else.

That's what we heard him saying.

While they're at it abolish heads of state, sovereignty, independence, freedom, too. But package it nice, cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war.

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Well, in that case, the US House of Representitives should probably revisit Res.104 (1991--link below) and rewrite the bill so there's no misinterpretation of the law.

www.congress.gov...

An excerpt from the Bill:

"Whereas Congress recognizes the historical tradition of ethical values and
principles which are the basis of civilized society and upon which our great
Nation was founded;
Whereas these ethical values and principles have been the bedrock of society
from the dawn of civilization, when they were known as the Seven Noahide Laws;
Whereas without these ethical values and principles the edifice of civilization
stands in serious peril of returning to chaos;
Whereas society is profoundly concerned with the recent weakening of these
principles that has resulted in crises that beleaguer and threaten the fabric
of civilized society;" (and so on)

Now, OVERTLY, this bill does nothing more than designate March 6 as Education Day; however, the text itself is slightly alarming. To what extent does congress recognize the Noahide Laws???

Here they are, in case anyone is interested:

Do not deny God.
Do not blaspheme God.
Do not murder.
Do not engage in illicit sexual relations.
Do not steal.
Do not eat from a live animal.
Establish courts/legal system to ensure obedience to the law.
edit on 28-8-2016 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-8-2016 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I love the way our lawmakers (and breakers) intone about 'civilization' when we're not anywheres near that yet.

Just because you've got skyscrapers and a Starbucks on every corner, doesn't mean you're 'civilized'.

First off you need to get rid of all concepts of Sky Daddy Fairies, because that seems to create way too many cognitively challenged child-like minds.

Then you need to get rid of the idea that the land base and all that dwells on it is 'ours' for the taking, killing or ruining without any regard for future generations.

Then you need to stop using the excuse of overarching capitalism to permit overt violence and abuse to saturate the airways (and minds) of the people and let it be called 'entertainment' and free speech protected.

And that's just for starters.

Blasphemy indeed. This whole damned society is blasphemy against the heart and soul of every sentient individual and that includes the animals.

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: SentientCentenarian

In regards to your Sky Daddy Fairy comment, I think you're doing yourself a disservice to equate religiosity to lack of intelligence. Thought I'd point you to a quote from a recent thread of mine to perhaps give you a slightly different perspective.

The quote comes from a biography I'm reading on Einstein called Einstein: His Life and Universe by Walter Isaacson.

Einstein on whether he believes in God:
"I'm not an atheist. The problem involved is too vast for our limited minds. We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangement of the books but doesn't know what it is. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God. We see the universe marvelously arranged and obeying certain laws but only dimly understand these laws."

There are highly intelligent people who believe in God. There are also plenty of dimwits who believe in nothing. I'm pretty sure intelligence is not an issue that comes into play in matters of faith.

Some people find ways in which to exploit anything, contaminate everything.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   
All victimless laws should be abolished...why just highlight blasphemy laws?

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I see my post above was removed and I got a "warning" from a Mod.

Serious T&C violation? How the hell was my comment about a Rabbi criticizing other religions a serious T&C violation? Perhaps the Mod would like to step in and explain in more detail.

Maybe it was my use of the term "chosenite" that they found unpalatable?

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Britguy
I see my post above was removed and I got a "warning" from a Mod.

Serious T&C violation? How the hell was my comment about a Rabbi criticizing other religions a serious T&C violation? Perhaps the Mod would like to step in and explain in more detail.

Maybe it was my use of the term "chosenite" that they found unpalatable?

Britguy, I am discovering a disturbing pattern. There is any number of disparaging comments on Christ and Christians, both on this site and in society in general. However, whenever one dares to speak negatively about "the chosen ones" one gets immediately shut down with the term you and I know well by now.

Why is this? I am truly wanting to know. It can't be due to the horrific events of the past century alone, as an estimated (and this is a conservative estimate) 12 million Christians were genocided in Russia at the hands of ethnic, yes you guess it J... Bolsheviks in the most gruesome ways possible. Their blood truly cries out for justice as history has forgotten them or wiped them out.

Dear Mods, if you are lovers of the truth, please try to explain this anomoly. Thanks.

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

I have to agree, programming at it's finest.

You can say anything you like about Christians (all flavours), Hindus, Muslims, Scientologists and any number of others, calling them all manner of crazy names and being critical without limits..... but don't be critical of Israel or Jews.

There can be no other reason for my warning message and post removal.

top topics

join