It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm going to become a nomad

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   
These past years have been more than devastating. The last of my family members are now dead, I've lost everything three times in a row. The last time was due to my house burning down. I've lost three businesses, not a pedestrian with my taxi cab (not my fault but a human being went through my windshield and nearly ruined what little happiness I held onto. Many more things that I won't drone on about, I'm sure you have your own problems.

So I'm saving for a cheap motorhome and I'm going to just live in it and travel around. I have no idea now ill earn my way, but its better than dying here.

Wish me luck ATS!

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: LoneGunMan

Good Luck!

My happiest days were when I was living in my camper, surfing, fishing, and playing guitar in the beer joints for beer, food and tips.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   

I wish you luck comrade in your mission! It is better to live a life worth living, than a lengthy and dull one.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Sorry to hear about your misfortunes.

Have you thought about becoming a "Rennie"?
I worked renaissance festivals for years and many of those folks live out of their cars. They love the freedom of not being tied to a place and you meet the most interesting, colorful people.
Just a thought. I hope things get better for you

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Whatever you do make sure you are paying into a pension. I've got a friend that spent 15 years in the Caribe and he's hurting financially in his 70's now.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   
If you look online there's a LOT of people doing the same thing, 10s of thousands of them if you include retirees in RV parks and on the road. Living in a van or box truck may be cheaper and stealthier than an RV, and many people are supporting themselves working in campgrounds.

No offense, but take a good long look at how your own lifestyle or habits may have contributed to your 'bad luck' - by that I mean any drug or alcohol use that could be accelerating your downward spiral.

Most people have to have insurance for a house fire; did you not get paid enough to rebuild? And 'all your family members are now dead' shouldn't be a real issue if you're older than 20 or so. You should have job skills by now and an ability to make friends, at least a few.

You can qualify for student loans to go to school and get more job skills, and they would include money to live on. Talk to a school counselor and/or your local social work outlets and food banks for help.

Feeling sorry for yourself ain't going to get you anywhere. Actual active behavior change and decisions will.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I've got a motor home for sale are you in the uk?

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   

I am so sorry that you had to go through all of that! If your purpose of traveling is to get away from everything, memories will follow you wherever you go. If it is for distraction to get your mind off of things for a while, it could prove useful. You will need an income no matter where you go. I wish you all the best!

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Humans are a resilient creature.
I've endured, and in hindsight actually had a good time, in living conditions that many would think awful.
Keep your chin up.
Always remember "Life is good."

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I feel for you cause I'm feeling that way these days myself-divorced-children grown-distanced from family (which is healthy) not great health but I'll be damned if I will die here in Georgia. I'm doing everything I can to get back to where I feel I belong.
I have very limited funds but more becoming available later but I feel I can't wait-one more heart attack-and I'm not that old-and I may be done. So, like you-I feel a need to just get on the road and head for a new, if limited life.
I'm behind you 100%. And to the poster who made it sound like it may be your fault-let it blow by-I've never drank, done drugs etc. Had at one time an excellent career-careers and tried to be kind to all I knew-even the little bas***** in high school that I taught for a very short period of time. So you go where your heart takes you and meet many people and just try to find that joy again. It's very worth a try-I'm saying this all to myself too, of course.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Sounds like the story of Job. You are right where you are supposed to be. And sounds like you're on the right path.

From one (usedtobe) wandering Nomad to another, forsake your self and go find yourself.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Don't forget to get some pet sheep . . . you can't be a nomad without a flock.

Good luck to ya out there!

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   

I think you are nomad, either.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Hope you find a better way. Thanks to Obamacare, you have to cough up the money for health insurance and file the status of you healthcare each year. If you made income in a previous year, it will take a few years to get subsidize. If you don't live in the USA, disregard. Would love to be a vagabond myself. But love my kid, want to provide, and got to pay child support.

Hard to believe you could live off the land at one time. Think if you walked down the highway with a rifle and told the cops you are just hunting to survive?
edit on 27-8-2016 by neutronflux because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   

I've often felt that way when I was down on my luck for 5 straight years. I was a very generous person, always helping who I could and I was in a good career, furthermore I had a woman and we were building a life together. The latter is what put me in a downward spiral for those 5 years..long story short, she was unfaithful many times, put me in a large amount of debt and the people I thought were my friends..turns out they didn't give a # once the money was no longer there to go out and do stuff like it used to be.

Things got much worse from there but I'm not here to bore you with every minute detail.

After those 5 years of continuous bad happening, I finally broke through and am now with someone who is amazing and my life is getting better.

Although I did always have those thoughts, similar to what your having, and wonder where life would have taken me, for better or for worse.

Best of luck to you

edit on 27-8-2016 by threeeyesopen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   
"And to the poster who made it sound like it may be your fault-let it blow by-I've never drank, done drugs etc."

- That would be me.

And I didn't accuse the OP of either, just suggested that if either of those were a problem, might be time to get clear on a few things.

There's 'luck' and then there's bad choices. I've found true bad luck to be unusual in people who try to make good choices.

Whining about your lot in life won't change anything. Action will. And you'll be amazed at the difference a day makes. Could be a job offer, a new friend, lots of things.

Nomading is one thing if you have a guaranteed income, quite another if you're not sure where your next meal is coming from, and the learning curve can be steep and highly dangerous if there are mental health issues (depression) as I'm seeing here.

Sounds like OP needs a plan that has an upside, not a complete unknown.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Best of luck to you on your new journey. Hopes that it's what you have been yearning for. In my similar journeys that are never ending, it's a very uplifting feeling of freedom in enjoying the solace of nature helps greatly. Advice: If you're in the US(or even not, but may come to the US) and haven't been in the Pacific Northwest I greatly suggest exploring the vast varied area.

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Thank you kindred friend!a reply to: threeeyesopen

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Can't you take a month out? Two months? With what's happened so far, it seems final to cut ties and go wandering. It seems like an emotional reaction to circumstances.

I don't know you whatsoever. All that worries me here is you go nomad and find it doesn't fit the dream. A few weeks in and you're bored or back in hard times. What's the back-up plan?

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 07:04 AM
link   
you can park free at National parks if they have a position open for you to volunteer at. I have some family that is doing what you suggest. They have military retirement, so not destitute, but they are loving it and have been for over a year now.

ETA: Also, 1000 trails is a campground group all over the US that you can pay a membership fee and park there free for a few weeks at a time.
edit on 28-8-2016 by network dude because: added thought

top topics

<<   2 >>

join