It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kaepernick explains why he sat during national anthem

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter
I heard he converted to Islam recently, as in the last two months. No wonder he's anti-America now.

If you do an Internet search, you will see that that word come out in July, before this fiasco boiled up.
Word is that he converted to please his Muslim girlfriend (apparently fiance now).

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Here's the thing about this for me. When I pay to go to a sporting event or opt to watch it on TV am I looking for escapism.

Escapism from politics, social issues, religion, personal issues, etc. I am hoping to see a group of men chase and try to kill another man who is holding an oblate spheroid and running from those same people. I don't particularly care what any of their political or social views are and I just want to see them either not get killed (my team on offense) or do the killing) my team on defense).

The end.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Speaking as a nationalist, I should probably be more fussed over this than I am. I find his reasoning behind this action to be ridiculous... Had he refused to stand for the anthem until such time as the citizens of the US take responsibility for their own actions and follow the laws rather than act like animals and then blame the cops when the consequences take place, then I'd respect his reasons.

That said, I really find the whole anthem thing to be silly. Years ago the government set up this crap with America's pro sports leagues, sports entertainment companies, and even a number of kid-centric TV and movie studios. The idea is to meld patriotic fervor with our entertainment and passtimes, ensuring that children associate good times and victories with Uncle Sam and the military. Don't get me wrong, I'm proud to be an American and I'm 100% behind locking down our borders and protecting our nation... but I don't really want to be reminded of geopolitical horsecrap, taxes, or Sauron's giant ass eyeball everytime I settle in to watch the Broncos beat the crap out of the Raiders. If they'd stop playing the anthem, stop doing the flyovers, and stop treating sports like some twisted venue of populist opinion control, I'd not lose any sleep over it and would probably watch more pro sports.

(For the record, my children attend a school that doesn't say the pledge every morning. I like that. I always found the pledge to be pretty ridiculous as a kid... This nation isn't indivisable but is really as divided as it can get without being ripped into pieces, hasn't been "under God" for awhile now, and any country with almost half the nation having no skin in the game taxation-wise, instead living off the redistributed earnings of the taxed half certainly doesn't have liberty and justice for all.)

So I guess what I'm saying is Kap can shove his opinions on law enforcement and policing up his ass, but I have no problem with anyone who doesn't feel like doing the trained dog and pony act when the anthem plays, either.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   
As an aside, I think this has been a publicity stunt by Kap to get out of the Niner contract he's begged, pleaded, and demanded to be traded or released from for the past 9 months. I don't think he expected widespread angst over this, just localized sniping that would pressure the team to move him on and allow him to play somewhere that he feels management appreciates him and where he has a chance for some stability that SF hasn't had since his first two years when there wasn't a verbal war between Harbaugh and SF's idiot ownership and GM.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Weird thing is I totally get what you said 100%.

Im a proud and somewhat nationalistic Brit, who wants UK sovereignty and sensible immigration laws.

But patriotism is more than mere symbols and showy displays.

And quiet frankly 90% of those most caught up with flag waving at sports events and who can chant the anthem at the drop of a hat probably cant recite the bill of rights or tell you the diffrence between the American war of independence or civil war or what battles there grandfather's fought in WW2. (And thats not a dumb American jab, brits are guilty of our own form of ignorance )

All things like pledges of allegiance and mass public displays do is create government sheeple, and promote a collective spirit.

Real patriotism is learning and applying your countrys core values and principles , learning its herratige and upholding its principles.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Weird thing is I totally get what you said 100%.

Me too. He's about the most honest dude I've met. Doesn't mean we agree on everything.

And quiet frankly 90% of those most caught up with flag waving at sports events and who can chant the anthem at the drop of a hat probably cant recite the bill of rights or tell you the diffrence between the American war of independence or civil war or what battles there grandfather's fought in WW2. (And thats not a dumb American jab, brits are guilty of our own form of ignorance )

I doubt that. It's a violent culture. They can take their lineage back to.... whatever. As to the bold, that would be "their". Hey, it's your language.

All things like pledges of allegiance and mass public displays do is create government sheeple, and promote a collective spirit.

Yup.

Real patriotism is learning and applying your countrys core values and principles , learning its herratige and upholding its principles.

Yes, we in North America are young. Our heritage is young. Our principles are young(but mostly set by British Common Law
). We are doing what we can with the limited history we have.

(post by Generation9 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Aug, 30 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Maybe just maybe go and find the entire statement...

He bashed Hillary but the MSM only plays the simplet they want too.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   

I understand what you're saying. I absolutely agree with the parts about the anthem, the pledge and the dog and pony show we're all conditioned to associate with "patriotism". You don't sound much like a nationalist, to me, though.
The dog and pony 'show' is the reason I don't participate in these rituals. I'm not trying to piss anyone off, say I hate America or the flag, or protest against any treatment of one segment of society by another. I just refuse to go along with the 'show' of patriotism. I am very patriotic. I love this country and its founding principles! I love the Constitution. I don't need to 'show' that to anyone by standing and holding your hand here, singing and saluting. But I have no problem with anyone who feels like doing it.

Live and let live.

An UPDATE to this story. A teammate of Kaepernick's joined him in sitting out of the National Anthem yesterday.

Kaepernick says he will donate his first $1 million this season to help the people he's protesting for.

Kaepernick and Reid kneeled during the national anthem Thursday before the 49ers' 31-21 preseason victory over San Diego, ignoring scattered boos and angry shouts in Qualcomm Stadium at the Chargers' Salute to the Military preseason game.
"I just wanted to show my support for him," Reid said. "He wanted to make it clear that he wasn't trying to be disrespectful to the military or the national anthem, so he decided to change his position to be more respectful, but still bring awareness to the issues that he believes are going on in this country, and that I wholeheartedly believe exist in this country."

I know you don't agree with the reason he is protesting. I don't see anything wrong with that at all.

Up north in Oakland, Seattle Seahawks cornerback Jeremy Lane showed his support for Kaepernick by sitting on the bench during the anthem.

Seattle Seahawks Jeremy Lane Sits During the National Anthem in Support of Colin Keapernick

Lane said he did it mostly to show support for San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who sat during the anthem in a game last Friday saying he was protesting the treatment of people of color in the United States, and particularly issues with police.

“I wasn’t trying to say anything, just standing behind Kaepernick,’’ said Lane, who is in his fifth year with the Seahawks after being taken in the 2012 draft.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join