It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kaepernick explains why he sat during national anthem

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I agree with him. If you can use "free speech" to justify shock jocks, offensive language & offensive art, it can also justify this.

I also can't help noticing the hypocrisy in some of his critics on this issue. People claim they believe in freedom & free speech, but apparently that only counts if we follow their unofficial rules. Ironically, that's neither freedom nor free speech.

Whatever happened to "I disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it"? (To be fair, I always thought that phrase was stupid. But it just shows that many who claim to believe it are actually lying.)

link   
Haven't people of all colours fought and died for that flag over the centuries? People die for it, while others can't even bother to show their respects. Self-pity.
edit on 27-8-2016 by TheTory because: (no reason given)

link   
He belongs on the bench anyway.
Just keeping his seat warm.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   
"He did do it while he was on the job. I don't no about anyone else but some of my freedoms end when go to work."

Not THAT one. There's a wide gulf between respect for a country's iconic symbols and collusion with creeping fascism. Now, if Edward Snowden's whistleblowing on how thoroughly the government, including a government that works mainly in secret, was breaking laws, was welcomed and heralded, then we might know that we had a government that was working *for* us, rather than against us. Since government representatives want him silenced and murdered, we can only assume that they have something to hide that's very incriminating, and we're being ruled by monsters.

Standing up in defiance of that is patriotism, not the opposite.

(and it's 'know' not 'no'. Sheesh)
edit on 27-8-2016 by SentientCentenarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Thats the beauty of America, he can say what he wants and the rest can complain or like is comments.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: SentientCentenarian

Well grammar cop. Where I work we have a code of conduct you don't abide by it you could get axed. If you don't like it then quit or get fired. Pretty simple isn't it.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Kaepernick is a has been or maybe a never was. If you stand for ANY reason during the anthem it should at least be for the respect to all the veterans who served and also died for us protecting what freedom we have left. What a disrespectful pile of dung.
Stay classy Colin.

edit on 27-8-2016 by Nucleardoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I'll defend his right to say whatever he wants. However, I also defend the rights of those who then choose to call him an idiot. He clearly needs some perspective...

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX
wow. so there are laws that target oppress black people?

I am against that. I think there needs to be some sort of civil rights movement that makes all people treated legally equal!

also, I seem to have slipped into that mandela universe thing, because in my universe, this was sorted out in the 60s...actually, in my universe, there was affirmative action that was laws forcing businesses to hire PoC regardless of merit..

I remember that time line also.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
I agree with him. If you can use "free speech" to justify shock jocks, offensive language & offensive art, it can also justify this.

I also can't help noticing the hypocrisy in some of his critics on this issue. People claim they believe in freedom & free speech, but apparently that only counts if we follow their unofficial rules. Ironically, that's neither freedom nor free speech.

Whatever happened to "I disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it"? (To be fair, I always thought that phrase was stupid. But it just shows that many who claim to believe it are actually lying.)

It's always been freedom to speak, not freedom from repercussions. I can defend your right to say it, while also thinking you're a scumbag pig.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Only free speech allows someone to be openly critical about his nation. In a way he unknowingly compliments his country each time he criticizes it.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: TheTory

Very true. I think he needs to spend some time in a foreign country with no free speech to get a better understanding.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   
It is expected as part of the job and always has been.

This is a profession he chose.

Fine him and suspend him.

If he still refuses to perform his contractual obligation then fire him.

edit on 27-8-2016 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   
My only issue with this is people who call him unamerican for doing this. It is fully within his right to do this. I do see the irony in it all with him making a great living, but just because he has it good doesn't mean others are not suffering.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Why?
He doesn't need to learn that others can't do what he did before he can do it.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

The irony about this is that many black men have made the ultimate sacrifice for the flag and country that this man couldn't bare standing 1 minute for.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   

He is openly and proudly anti-american.

Did you not read his "reason"?

There are reasonable expectations in any job. If the employee fails to live up to company standards they can be dismissed.

This has nothing to do with free speech or with any other constitutionally protected rights.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

How Is his explanation openly anti American? It is his opinion.

I agree his employer can go after him if he doesn't met their standards or against their rules but that isn't the case as both the niners and the nfl said he is allowed to do so.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: avgguy

They fought so he has the right to do what he did. He didn't disrespect them in anyway.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   

It is his opinion that America sucks because of his deleuded fantasy of institutionalized oppression and systemic racism.

If the team owners want to let him get away with it that is their choice. They will suffer the consequences of outraged fans and commercial sponsors shying away from anti-american teams and players.

The government is not involved so constitutionally protected free speech does not come into play whatsoever,

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join