It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kaepernick explains why he sat during national anthem

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   
An NFL quarterback that won't stand during the national anthem.

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

This this a free speech issue. I have mixed feelings, is this going to solve any African Americans/minorities from being mistreated/killed/harassed by the system? Nope, set up a legal defense fund for the people who are caught in the system. Sitting seems easy, putting your money where your mouth is is hard and as far as I know this wealthy and talented man hasn't came to the rescue of any mistreated people of color.

Backlash? We will see.

www.nfl.com... 000691077/article/colin-kaepernick-explains-protest-of-national-anthem

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Free speech is great, isn't it.

I'm as anti-monarchy as anyone in the UK, except maybe David Icke...
But I still sing God Save The Queen.

Because it represents the good in my Nation.
Not the bad.

That's my take anyways.

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
The only problem I have with his protest is that the US is the same country that provides an atmosphere in which he can earn $11.9 million (base) a year. Seems a bit hypocritical to me.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I agree. They should be looting white people's neighborhoods.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408

Yep, I absolutely support his freedom to do and say this, and support the freedom of others to show their pleasure or displeasure towards him doing it.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   
He refuses to stand in respect of a symbol that guarantees his right to speak his mind.
Fricking idiot.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Maybe he should not play in a league which is basically Uncle Salty on steroids. Not one of the owners is black but he is happy to take their money.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   

I'm as anti-monarchy as anyone in the UK, except maybe David Icke...

Because it represents the good in my Nation.
Not the bad.

That's my take anyways.

Really ?

I dont even know the words to our athem and dont care to bother learning

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Good on him.

And they can take that idiotic 'under god' line out of the brainwashing flag salute, too.

What kind of government/school system decides to inculcate patriotism in little children by having them stand up every day at the start of school and 'pledge allegiance to' a piece of cloth before they even understand what the words mean?

And who decided then to include 'god' to that pledge, regardless of that particular child's family background, or belief system?

And further, who decided it was okay to believe in fairy tales and force that belief on young minds when the obvious outcome has been wars and violence based on differences in that belief, and a rejection of science, learning, and individualism?

Obviously, don't get me started.

Patriotism and religion have a lot to answer for. When I see a photo of Earth from space, there's no lines drawn on it indicating countries. And there's no white guy with a long beard and white robes switching between benevolent and angry living up in the clouds, either.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
wow. so there are laws that target oppress black people?

I am against that. I think there needs to be some sort of civil rights movement that makes all people treated legally equal!

also, I seem to have slipped into that mandela universe thing, because in my universe, this was sorted out in the 60s...actually, in my universe, there was affirmative action that was laws forcing businesses to hire PoC regardless of merit..

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   

I've never sung it. I don't believe in any gods and I am passionately against a constitutional monarchy system.
For me to sing it would be hypocritical.

The guy in the OP, meh, so what, it's between him and his sponsors as far as I see it.
I'll get some popcorn for the outrage I'll probably read in this thread lol

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

I've never sung it. I don't believe in any gods and I am passionately against a constitutional monarchy system.
For me to sing it would be hypocritical.

The guy in the OP, meh, so what, it's between him and his sponsors as far as I see it.
I'll get some popcorn for the outrage I'll probably read in this thread lol

I used to be a Nationalist, then I grew up. But I still sing the words. Maybe I'm brainwashed lol.
Lol there will be mass outrage soon enough mate. Guaruntee it.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Obviously Kapernick has no faith in this country, and he should just shut the _ _ _ _ up and leave this country. If he thinks it's so bad here, maybe he should go live in North Africa, or maybe Saudi Arabia. What a loser that guy is......

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Lol these ignoramuses are hilarious. Newsflash sweetheart you're making millions per paycheck to ride the bench.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

"To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

Outstanding, good for him. I'll widen that collateral murder net to encompass US foreign Policy. What an example he sets...

Sadly alone. He can get away with that, the wealthy people that write his paycheck will look the other way. After all,

he's the QB.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

your ignorance exceeds you, and the other uneducated folks who gave you stars for that post....

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Maybe he should not play in a league which is basically Uncle Salty on steroids. Not one of the owners is black but he is happy to take their money.

well put sir!

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
This this a free speech issue. I have mixed feelings,

Mixed feelings about free speech? I don't have mixed feelings. Free speech is our constitutionally-protected right, whether or not I (or you) agree with his reasoning.

... is this going to solve any African Americans/minorities from being mistreated/killed/harassed by the system?

It doesn't matter. If this is his chosen form of expression, I support him 100%! Regardless if he's effective or not!

Sitting seems easy, putting your money where your mouth is is hard and as far as I know this wealthy and talented man hasn't came to the rescue of any mistreated people of color.

"As far as you know"? Did you bother looking up his charitable efforts before you slammed him for taking the "easy" way?

Colin Kaepernick and Special Olympics
Colin Kaepernick Continues Charitable Work for Camp Taylor
San Francisco 49ers' Colin Kaepernick Makes A Difference With Charity Work

I don't stand during the national anthem or put my hand on my heart either, but for different reasons.

You all can judge me as much as you want. Seems to be a popular thing to do around here.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

He did do it while he was on the job. I don't no about anyone else but some of my freedoms end when I go to work.

edit on 27-8-2016 by Tarzan the apeman. because: I spell badly and my english aint so great either

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: gunshooter

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

your ignorance exceeds you, and the other uneducated folks who gave you stars for that post....

Oh ...

“You’re burning down s– we need in our community. Take that s– to the suburbs! Burn that s– down!”

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join