It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can heterosexual friendships break through all barriers?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I used to think that heterosexual friendships were no different than having friends of the same sex. My life experience has taught me that is not always the case. There seems to something magical about a friendship with the opposite sex, at least occasionally for me.

I have had at least four experiences online where a friendship-type thing with a woman seemed to break through normal barriers without us meeting in person. I wrote about one such case in the following thread.

12-Hour Soul Makeover via an Internet Chat

That experience was quite incredible. Both of us experienced paranormal things in relation to each other. That was an extreme case.

I want to focus on something more simple: healing. Do you think healing is possible due to a heterosexual friendship? I have experienced it.

I believe in the four deep heterosexual friendships I've had (all online), I've experienced breaking through almost every possible barrier.
edit on 26-8-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

I could be wrong, don't quote me--

But I think Plato broke ground here already

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Healing is possible if we allow ourselves to be.

I'm kind of unsure as to the whole story regarding your topic but I do also believe that having a friendship with someone of the opposite sex can be a wonderful thing.

The only complications that tend to arise sometimes, mutually, is an attraction to one another..even though you know that it began as, and should stay a friendship and nothing more (this happens for various reasons).
edit on 26-8-2016 by threeeyesopen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   

I thinks its weird, but i am weird, but whatever suits you best is fine.

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   

I've always quietly held the belief that lesbians and straight males make great friends, just hear me out lol. A woman that you don't have sexual interest in, and that doesn't have a sexual interest in you. It allows you to have a friendship with the opposite sex without any of the usual pressures or stacking the deck for a potential future. It leaves time for a full and real friendship. A lot of guys can't express certain things in their male peer groups and having a no-pressure female friend can be a great outlet for a lot of emotions and thoughts you wouldn't even normally entertain.

I'm not saying that it's exclusively a lesbian/straight guy thing, it's just that guarantee that you both know where you stand with each other that takes the pressure off and allows you to open up. I find the same when I talk to elderly women too, they've seen and heard it all and always have good advice, as well as when bonding with women online with no intention of possibility of ever seeing them.

Some people can have these relationships even if they are attracted to each other, but a lot of guys always reserve a small part of themselves in these situations.

I don't even know if I'm on topic, sorry lol.

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I recall in one of the situations that I mentioned in the original post, the woman posted the following song directly to me. She indicated that it was an expression of how she felt about our friendship.

Knowing her, she probably did it without any thought. But, for me, it was profound. I hadn't heard the song before (I hadn't even heard of the artist), but I immediately saw the relevance to our situation. I was just contemplating this thread and the message of the song.

Yeah, we kicking down the doors
You know we mean war
Who you looking out for?

The title of this thread came from those lyrics.

After some serious contemplation, I realized there was an aspect of the quote in all four friendships I mentioned in the original post. There was an aspect of "war." Both sides were pushing each other, almost hostile to each other. So, that may be a huge secret in making this happen.

www.youtube.com...

You know we mean war
Who you looking out for?

When we get in the game weather you gear up
Kick it however little you are and never get up
Kicking us and make it a war, make it real enough
Power watching light as a frisk like it, my dear
When it matters get the licking,
Others wishing it was more
We pitching and it's getting fast-forward
You look into the mirror, ask it if you gonna ball
I think this is the day we take it, take it all, yeah

You know we mean war
Who you looking out for?

Never easy to say we the superior
Look at how you live in the back, in the posterior
Taking us we taking you up,
Leave you in dilemma
Tower when we take up the space like it when it matters
Take a look at others wishing they were more
We pitching and it's getting fast-forward
You look into the mirror, ask it if you gonna ball
I think this is the day we take it, take it all, yeah

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   

In my experience they only succeed if the male has no idea the female is sexually attractive.

posted on Aug, 27 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   

I love my female friends deeply, and aside from those in committed relationships with someone else I have enjoyed/enjoy recreational safe sex with most of them.
Female friends are different to male friends of course, but personally, I only have truly platonic relationships with female friends who I don't find physically/sexually attractive.
I don't really get the whole 'platonic' thing if they tick my attractiveness boxes.

*Edit*
...and anecdotally, every male friend in my life who has ever said to me "Oh I really like [insert female] as a friend, and I've asked "Yeah, but would you have sex if she initiated it?" the answer has always been yes.
I know that will go against the ATS 'nice asexual relationship' thing but I don't care, I reckon a lot of guys just bull# on the internet that they are like that, because I've never met one in real life when it's just guys talking, ever.
Even old guys who've been married 40 years or more.
edit on 27.8.2016 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join