It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hillary Clinton Praised Former KKK Member Sen. Robert Byrd

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   
dailycaller.com...

So where are the calls from ANY civil rights organization for hillary to explain her actions? The support and respect she has expressed for this person is simply disgusting. This open support of a KKK representative is unacceptable. The fact that she refers to this piece of trash as a "Mentor" is disturbing. If this is how she still feels why would ANY person of color support her? How anyone interested in "social justice" can support or defend hillary is crazy. Is openly supporting and publicly vocally honoring a klan member from the 40's(you know when they actually publicaly hung people of color) acceptable now?

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Sen. Robert Byrd not only was a KKK member but led his local Klan chapter
dailycaller.com...

But it is OK, he had a (D) behind his name.

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   

This photograph and video are undeniably genuine: The photograph was taken in July 2004, and the video of Clinton was filmed on 28 June 2010, shortly after Byrd's death. It's also true that Robert Byrd was a member of the Ku Klux Klan in the 1940s and helped establish the hate group's chapter in Sophia, West Virginia. However, in 1952 Byrd avowed that "After about a year, I became disinterested [in the KKK], quit paying my dues, and dropped my membership in the organization," and throughout his long political career (he served for 57 years in the United States Congress) he repeatedly apologized for his involvement with the KKK: "I know now I was wrong. Intolerance had no place in America. I apologized a thousand times ... and I don't mind apologizing over and over again. I can't erase what happened." In 2010, even the NAACP released a statement honoring Senator Byrd and mourning his passing

source

context is key.

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: bknapple32

LOL
context of what
so with context it is ok to have a mentor that promoted terrorism against people of color?

Context my ass

Anyone else would be so publicly shamed and humiliated they would be lucky to obtain gainful employment.

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   

People change...it appears Byrd changed and disavowed the Klan.

He was in the Klan in the 1940s...Clinton knew him in the 2000s, far removed from the time he was in the Klan.

I know Trump supporters are desperate to get the racists claims off of Trump, but the problem is that Trump is being endorsed by CURRENT Klan members and CURRENT White Supremacist. And he isn't distancing himself from these type of people, he is surrounding himself with them.

Good try though.

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: bknapple32

This photograph and video are undeniably genuine: The photograph was taken in July 2004, and the video of Clinton was filmed on 28 June 2010, shortly after Byrd's death. It's also true that Robert Byrd was a member of the Ku Klux Klan in the 1940s and helped establish the hate group's chapter in Sophia, West Virginia. However, in 1952 Byrd avowed that "After about a year, I became disinterested [in the KKK], quit paying my dues, and dropped my membership in the organization," and throughout his long political career (he served for 57 years in the United States Congress) he repeatedly apologized for his involvement with the KKK: "I know now I was wrong. Intolerance had no place in America. I apologized a thousand times ... and I don't mind apologizing over and over again. I can't erase what happened." In 2010, even the NAACP released a statement honoring Senator Byrd and mourning his passing

source

context is key.

Since when have liberals ever used "context" when accusing conservatives of being racist? The hypocrisy is thick...

There is no "context" when accusing founding fathers of being old white men who owned slaves. There is no context when accusing those who say we need to stop illegal immigration as being racist. Where was the context when trying to pin David Duke on Trump?

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: kruphix

So is there video of trump calling a racist terrorist a "mentor"?

Oh and I am glad to know you are so accepting of "people changing".

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   
You sure are drinking the Trump kool-aid, aren't you? Yes, Byrd made a terrible mistake in his youth... and spent the rest of his life apologizing for it... Who here, has not made a terrible mistake in their youth?

originally posted by: shooterbrody
If this is how she still feels why would ANY person of color support her?

He was a member for less than a year, realized his grave mistake and has apologized for his involvement MANY times.

A Senator's Shame

"It has emerged throughout my life to haunt and embarrass me and has taught me in a very graphic way what one major mistake can do to one's life, career, and reputation," Byrd wrote
He suggested that his career should be judged in light of all that he did subsequently to help lift his state out of poverty, and to bring basic and critically needed services and infrastructure to West Virginia.
Byrd said: "I know now I was wrong. Intolerance had no place in America. I apologized a thousand times . . . and I don't mind apologizing over and over again. I can't erase what happened."

snopes

It's also true that Robert Byrd was a member of the Ku Klux Klan in the 1940s and helped establish the hate group's chapter in Sophia, West Virginia. However, in 1952 Byrd avowed that "After about a year, I became disinterested [in the KKK], quit paying my dues, and dropped my membership in the organization," and throughout his long political career (he served for 57 years in the United States Congress) he repeatedly apologized for his involvement with the KKK.

In 2010, even the NAACP released a statement honoring Senator Byrd and mourning his passing

edit on 8/26/2016 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

(post by shooterbrody removed for a manners violation)

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   

A history lesson on Byrd would do you some good. People make mistakes. Yes, Byrd was an active member in his early-to-mid twenties and never hid from it. He apologized and admitted it was a horrible mistake to his dying days. The man spent the last 60 years of his life doing a great deal for, not only West Viirginia, but for the US as a whole. He was a great public servant. An admirable man who fell victim to a want of belonging as a young adult, white male in Jim Crow America.

"I was sorely afflicted with tunnel vision — a jejune and immature outlook — seeing only what I wanted to see because I thought the Klan could provide an outlet for my talents and ambitions."[23] Byrd also said, in 2005, "I know now I was wrong. Intolerance had no place in America. I apologized a thousand times ... and I don't mind apologizing over and over again. I can't erase what happened."[13]

Byrd's Wiki (above quote taken from Wiki)
edit on 26-8-2016 by BeefNoMeat because: Added source link

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   

So is there video of trump calling a racist terrorist a "mentor"?

Oh and I am glad to know you are so accepting of "people changing".

I am very accepting of people changing and discovering their previous beliefs were flawed. It's called growth and learning, more people should try it out.

Trump doesn't need a racist mentor, he seems to be his own mentor and has said and done enough to show how racist he is personally.

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Yeah change.....
www.nytimes.com...

But in 1964, with Johnson now president and no longer a force in the Senate, Mr. Byrd sided with Senator Richard B. Russell Jr. of Georgia, the leader of Southern Democrats, and filibustered against a stronger civil rights measure that would open restaurants and hotels to blacks, ban job discrimination and enable the Justice Department to register black voters in Deep South states. Mr. Byrd also opposed the 1965 Voting Rights Act and its renewal in 1970, again arguing that they violated states’ rights. He went on to support the war in Vietnam and attack the Supreme Court over decisions prohibiting organized school prayer and ensuring rights for people suspected of committing crimes.

That dude sure changed alot........

oh more change is what we need?
www.corson.org...

Although not an ardent radical liberal, he was to a great extent socially conservative as witnessed by his efforts to limit gay marriage and he once said on the Senate floor in 1996: The drive for same-sex marriage, is, in effect, an effort to make a sneak attack on society by encoding this aberrant behavior in legal form before society itself has decided it should be legal...Let us defend the oldest institution, the institution of marriage between male and female as set forth in the Holy Bible.

That guy sure was a leader for change and civil rights for ALL americans.

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   
DP
edit on 8/26/2016 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   

a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

You too chose to accept and defend someone who started a klan chapter?

Yes. I know people make mistakes. And when they are truly sorry, as Byrd has shown, I usually forgive them.

Your drive to defend the (d) is appalling.

It's not "the D" that I defend. I'm not a Democrat. It's a person who has made mistakes and paid for it that I defend.

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Yeah he was so changed....sorry his actual voting record does not reflect that.

link   

Just wait until this is brought to the attention of Black Lives Matter, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and the NAACP. Hillary Clinton will catch hell! (They'll all still vote for her though. It's the Stockholm Syndrome at work.)

link   
Robert Byrd.

A true Democrat.

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Just wait until this is brought to the attention of Black Lives Matter, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and the NAACP. Hillary Clinton will catch hell! (They'll all still vote for her though. It's the Stockholm Syndrome at work.)

Have you not read the thread? Already provided evidence the NAACP honored Byrd's death

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   

I have no problem saying he held very backward opinions in the past...but yes, he changed.

At the time Clinton knew him and counted him as a friend, he had changed those views and repeatedly said his views were wrong in the past.

People learn, people have more experiences, and intelligent people allow those things to continue to form their opinions...not have their opinions and views cemented into place.

If anything, I respect someone more for evaluating their views and changing them when they see they are flawed than someone who refuses to accept new information and are rigid in their views.

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join