It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Question of Why

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Perhaps the most powerful interrogative that exists within the English language, the word "why" can be used to press further any seemingly definitive statement made. While obviously the what, who and how are also significant in their own right, they do not draw the same level of philosophical potency as the word "why" happens to. I cannot explain just why this is the case, but that does not stop me from appreciating the importance of the question, nonetheless.

Try asking yourself a question, or making a statement. It can be a basic or complex question/statement. Follow up by asking WHY after every subsequent one and you will realise that there is no such thing as a definitive answer or statement of fact in the strict sense.

For example: "Hi, my name is Simon and I work 35 hours per week."

Why?

"Well, I attend my job from 9am-5pm five days per week, with an hour lunch break for each day I attend."

Why?

"I work so that I can earn money, which enables me to provide for myself and my family."

Why?

"Because being able to provide for yourself and your own family is vital."

Why?

"It's vital in order to survive."

Why?

"To survive is the ultimate goal in life."

Why?

"If we didn't try to survive, we would become extinct."

Why?

"Without the will to survive, other creatures would overtake humans as the dominant creatures on this planet and humans would likely cease to exist."

Why?

"Because it's survival of the fittest in the real world."

Why?

This will eventually lead to one of the following types of responses: " This could go on forever. It just is! Stop asking why and accept my answer!"

It might seem annoying and inconvenient to address their question, but the next time somebody asks you "why" in response to something you have just said, think for a moment about the philosophical reasons behind their question. They could be giving you a cue to consider something significant that you are overlooking at the time.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 11:57 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

Uh, that is why they kicked Socrates out of Athens. And for "corupting the youth" he said F-U and drank the hemlock to those judging him.

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Why did you make this thread?

Seriously I do this on myself when I feel like I might be lying to myself or having the wrong perspective. I might think something has to go one way based on a principle or step above that, but if I look three steps above that I may realize the entire goal should be different which makes the lower smaller goal framed incorrectly..

At the moment I know exactly what I need to be doing. Why is to survive and that's as far up the why tree as I need to go, now back to how.. Oh life..
edit on 26-8-2016 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Children quickly discover this paradox and go through a phase of driving their parents mad with this one word.

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Interesting and thought provoking thread.

This will eventually lead to one of the following types of responses: " This could go on forever. It just is! Stop asking why and accept my answer!"

On a slightly different note: The question "WHY?" has often been employed by me as a tool when faced with important and crucial life choices - both personal and professional. Doing so has benefited me greatly; along with following my intuition.

The key for me is to sort through my mind and feelings in order to discover what the most important questions are to contemplate in the first place.

There will always remain the question "why" to be pondered no matter what the topic, as you have suggested. However, the most important question for me to contemplate, or ask, is the one that creates *the least* amount of more "why's?" within my mind.

Why I do so...?

They IT could be giving you a cue to consider something significant that you are overlooking at the time.

edit on 26-8-2016 by Involutionist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 03:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Involutionist

Instead of asking 'why' - ask 'is this statement true?'
The mind (thought and words and language) often says things and very often what is said by the mind is not questioned. However, if the question 'is this true' follows each assumption then one has stepped out of the box.

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 05:39 AM
link   

It actually stops when the questioner answers their question, when they accept why they are on this Prison Matrix Planet.

Once they reach that conclusion, their physical existence is set to terminate allowing their spirit to progress to a higher level and a new meat suit.

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 06:33 AM
link   
If you think you're here to survive you're wasting a life.
You have been given a chance to thrive, observe and better the human species.
At the very least, just watch and think.
Cognition is a rare gift.

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 06:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: GreenGunther
At the very least, just watch and think.

Just watch the thoughts and realise you did not do them - you just see them.
edit on 26-8-2016 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

Thank you for your insight. It resonates with my personal philosophy.

The mind (thought and words and language) often says things and very often what is said by the mind is not questioned.

I agree, the mind can often become a culprit. Discernment of intuition helps me navigate around the mind's influence at times. However, my mind also has been of benefit in making correct decisions (in hindsight) as well. I lean more towards intuition but, I have at times been lead correctly by my thoughts instead of feelings.

However, if the question 'is this true' follows each assumption then one has stepped out of the box.

To tie in your thoughts with my previous comment: the most important question for me to ask is the one that creates the least amount of more "why's?" and provides the best answer to "What is effective for what am I trying to do?" or "what works for me as an effective measure of my truth?" The answer that provides the least amount "why's" is the correct question to ask.
edit on 26-8-2016 by Involutionist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Answers only exist because there are questions. If there are no questions, there are no answers. If there are no questions, there is no manifestation.

Imagine you are a deity, but in a state of nothingness; nothing happens. It just goes on eternally , this nothingness ,until you decide to find out a bit about yourself. Hence God stepped out of himself to have a good look at what he/she was. That was the beginning of manifestation; referred to as the lightning flash in esoteric philosophy or the big bang in scientific mumbo jumbo. In essence , a divine being splitting into mini-me s to investigate and ask WHY.

However, our deity is only a deity at a certain level. The one above , also swimming in eternal bliss where nothing happen, asks why too.

Conclusion : "Why" is the reason behind manifestation.

Answers will come , up to a point. When answers are not available to questions, the manifestation continues.

When all questions are answered , it is back to the eternal bliss. If I had all the answers; could have everything I wanted; could be in the past , future and present at the same time ,life would be pointless and I would probably want to switch to eternal nothingness again. If I were to fully understand eternal nothingness (which is in fact an eternal something) , I would probably move one level up and restart the process.

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   

"The only knowing is in knowing that you know nothing."
Socratic Method.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Why not?

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Good thread - it reminded me of my Life insurance selling days - always ask why when it comes to objections - you usually end up with the sale

21 Powerful, Open-Ended Sales Questions
www.rainsalestraining.com...

As you ask any open-ended sales questions, bear in mind that the most difficult task is not sounding too contrived. While we've suggested wording here in this article, feel free to use the concepts, but make the wording your own when you ask the questions.

Also, sometimes all you need is to ask one question and your prospect will share with you all the information you need to help them. Other times you may need to ask a few, but make sure you don't overdo it. You don't want to make your prospect feel as if he is on the witness stand. While this article is about asking questions, don’t forget that the most powerful sales conversations tend to balance inquiry (asking questions) with advocacy (talking, educating, giving advice).

Additional tip: if the buyer answers a question and you want them to expand further, ask them, “how so?” Or, “can you tell me a little more about that?” You'll be surprised at just how much you can learn, and the difference it will make in your ability to help them succeed.

top topics

join