It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The National Park Service celebrates 100th Anniversary today!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Calling all Americans and visitors to our beautiful nation!

(click image for full size. click it! I triple dog dare you)
image source--wiki

Go visit one of our National Parks today, tomorrow, or this weekend...for free; entrance fees are waived to help celebrate.

We pay for them and protect these incredible landscapes; go visit your nearest park.

Celebrate

I'm headed out the door to go to Mt. Rainier National Park, to visit my favorite volcano. I'll try to upload pictures later. I hope to see some fellow ATSers from the Puget Sound area there.

Enjoy!

#findyourpark

edit on 8/25/2016 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Olivine

THANK YOU TEDDY ROOSEVELT!!! We have some amazing National Parks... we're very fortunate to have preserved such beauty.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Yay!

Another federal bureaucracy power grab, sucking up money and resources.

Parks should be under the care of each individual state.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

I totally agree - the State Governments should have much more control over things like this. But the Federal Government has continued to grow and expand its powers and it looks like the States are having less a say in things with every passing day

My favorite national parks (that I've visited) are

Yosemite
Yellowstone
Redwoods Forest
Zion National Park

I really want to go to Denali.. actually there are like at least 2 dozen I really want to go to before I die lol

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

I have my doubts that the states would be able to maintain the parks as well as the Feds do. But I'm biased. I worked for Redwood National Park, Yosemite National Park, and the U.S. Forest Service.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   

I'm jealous, that sounds like an amazing job (whatever you do!). My father, who is getting pretty old used to say he wanted to become a Forest Ranger for his retirement. I don't think it will happen but perhaps I will have to fulfill his dream in memorial of him (once he has passed), since I'm sure I would really enjoy that type of work.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Trail crew, timber cruising, and fire crew for 10 years. No one had a better office than I did.

Tell your father to look into being a volunteer as a fire lookout, campground host, or interpretive guide...awesome gigs for older folks.

Now, I'm out the door before my day is gone.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   

I will do that! Thanks so much for the tip, great info

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Another thing that should always be in the hands of the public. Teddy done good.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Oh wow, I'm impressed!
The UK didn't designate it's first national park until 1951...we played catch-up on that one.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   
This is the one thing government has done that generally has been a fantastic success.

top topics

join