It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alantis myth from Canary Islands

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767
a reply to: Byrd

Right so there have not been at least two former super continent's, Pangea and Gondwanaland and several other's, potentially seven of eight one of which may be the bed of the Pacific as the earth seperated it's chemistry and our current and more stable continent's (richer in aluminium than the ocean plate's) formed.

I agree with that somewhat.

As you know our continent's are one of the former super continent's as they were called which broke up due to plate tectonics's.

No.

There were many continents and supercontinents before Pangea (which broke apart into Laurasia and Gondwanaland). Some elements of each are submerged under other continents. Erosion, plate tectonics have all shaped our land masses and pushed up mountains and pulled apart rift valleys.

Explain the sudden thaw at the end of the last ice age (unless you are a propronant of the celstial impact theory in which the idea that a large asteroid, comet or even meteor impaced the ice sheet and caused global warming or the solar cycle theory which is based on current modelling of solar cycles in which the output of the sun is seen as variable and it can both output more and less heat, quite plausible for the snow ball earth period but if the cycles are shortening so fast then there is something wrong with our star or it has built up far more helium in it's core than it should have).

It wasn't a "sudden thaw." The thaw had been going on for thousands of years.

What about the Mass extinction's of fauna that had weathered several previous glacial and inter glacial period's or the apparent weather shift in the northern siberian region.

Current thinking is that it's due in part to the forestation of the land (reducing habitat), among many other factors. And note that not all megafauna went extinct and some that do go extinct (bears, mammoths) are the same size as modern species of bears and elephants (as one example.)

re Therman Plumes - I won't repeat your explanation but again they don't appear and disappear like magic, and the features you gave (Yellowstone, Deccan Traps) are continent-sized.

And Hapgood's position is wrong. Continents are not like a chocolate shell on an ice cream cone - the plates fit tightly rather than skating all over the sphere.

I'm not sure why you brought in Siberia, but it also fails the test.

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   

a reply to: Harte

First of all Heart as far as Solon is concerned, I am not a historian that is your forte.
www.atlantis-today.com...
But that said There was a link or is claimed to have been a link between these two Greek Scholars.

Now History has not disproved such a link has it, if it has then show us the research disproving the link between Solon and Plato (not that I would find that interesting as it is more the Geology that I am interested in here).

There is no need (nor any way) to "disprove" any link between Solon and Plato. The two certainly never met.
If you want to make the claim of a link between them, then it is up to you to prove the link, and not up to others to disprove it.
I can say that Plato had an extra eye in the back of his head. Must be so, since you can't "disprove" it.

Harte

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   

I have to disagree with some of your answer byrd as we are obviously on different side's of that debate but I like the answer you gave nevertheless though the end of it could have been more substantial, nice answer even if I can not agree.

You will note also I pointed out that Hapgood's theory (which was never universally accepted anyway and only had a small scientific following) has been put to bed by the thermal plume theory's supporting geological data, plume theory has nothing to do with crustal movement though it is a part of the planets heat cycling process so is probably intimately related to techtonic movement's.

As for yellowstone and the Deccan trap's (Which covered much of the continent of India under mile's of basaltic flow's) they are not continent sized they are sub-crustal magma caldera's - which in the case of the Deccan trap's erupted as you know about approx 65 MYA - created not by the friction of the continental plates as some small volcano's may be but current theory is that they may be the result of large subcrustal heat plume's rising from much deeper below the crust (planetery heat if you like, natural heat columne's probably vast but likely still hexagonal in shape if we could see one cross section), there position much like the Hawaiian plume seem's indepentant of the overlying crust so as the crust move's over them they can act to push it upward and form volcano's and this is the geological supporting evidence found in the Hawaiian chain (which as you know extend's back along a series of older Hawaiian island's most of which have now sank back down under the water and the oldest of which are now merely bump's on the sea bed, sea mounts very far below the surface unlile the living active island's of today, these extinct volcano's lost there energy as the plate drift moved them away form the sub-crustal plume and became cold so to speak) for it's plume being likely such a sub crustal heat plume.

As for siberia the hypothetical argument was about weather pattern fluctuation.

As for the ice age taking thousand's of years to end, that is not a proven fact, in fact it is still contested and there is little supporting evidence to back up either stance mostly because even greenland ice core's can only tell so much, great for atmospheric gas and also therefore for guestimate's of global temperature but they will not tell you how fast the ice sheet's retreated or how many cataclysmic event's such as the north American ice damn occured or if there were similar event's elsewhere, how much it desalinated the sea water of the north Atlantic and slowed the atlantic conveyor as a result.

What you have to remember is that though meteorologist's and climatologist's do not fully understand the intricacy's and chaos of our weather system the Oceanic conveyor has a profound affect upon the northern hemisphere's weather as well as a direct affect upon the Jet Stream which carries much of it's warming effect over northern europe and even as far as western siberia (but by that point the warming is weakened).

Now what we know from today is how fast Glaciers in mountain's can retreat under modern global temperature's, only a fool would deny global warming for example but is it all humanity's fault or is there also a natural warming such as solar cycles which we have not lived long enough as a civilization to record and predict.

And Siberia does play a part, Hapgood's idea offered an explanation even if it was wrong and therefore it's explanation is now bunk but how can we explain these large animal's and other mild climate dependant fauna living and eating in an environment we would not expect to find there at that time while much more southerly part's of neighbouring Europe were still in the grip of there then presumably retreating ice sheet's, of course climate interactions may play a part, perhaps in some freakish way the cold of northern Europe somehow altered or even caused wind pattern's and this in turn caused warmer wind's to prevail over part's of siberia and then the removal of the ice over Europe led to that weather pattern collapsing but I can not see that well in my mind and it is really just grasping at straw's.
But what if, Europe which would have been a heat sink with all that ice?, well how did global wind pattern's behave back then, probably not like today and so could there have been a stable cyclone or weather vortext created north blowing wind or wind current's bringing warm air up to those part's of siberia in a kind of long duration massive cyclonic weather system during at least part of the ice age with the wind's cooling over Europe and re-warming near the equator then carrying the warm air back up to part's of Siberia before cooling again, it would be a pretty strange world though with northerly part's of Siberia having a mild climate which more southerly part's of Europe being frozen but hey I suppose it is kind of possible in the remotest corners of chaos though not likely, I wonder if something like Deep Blue or whatever computer now hold's the crown could model that as a study.

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Harte

I make no such further claim heart and merely provided the source of that mistake, however it has to be pointed out that many philosophers regard long dead former philosophers as there mentor's, that horrid little man Nietzsche with his incestuous attraction to his own sister being a point in question as so many are swayed by his word's and idea's even if they came from a mind like a sewer.

So without getting into Philosophers and there merit's (Well are we not all philosophers after all with our own personal philosophy's) I shall leave that there.

Wonder if perhaps Nietzsche and Freud had some form of contact, pair of weirdo's together, one liking his sister and the other his mother it boggle's the mind.

edit on 28-8-2016 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Gervais : Why-- why didn't Hitler meet Nero?

Merchant : It's weird, isn't it? There must have been a crossover.

Gervais : They must have met at a party somewhere.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 04:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Marduk
Plato states in Timaeus

Then listen, Socrates, to a tale which, though strange, is certainly true, having been attested by Solon, who was the wisest of the seven sages. He was a relative and a dear friend of my great-grandfather, Dropides, as he himself says in many passages of his poems; and he told the story to Critias, my grandfather, who remembered and repeated it to us.

So Solon was related to and a friend of Plato's great grandfather, not his mentor...

Are you asserting that Dropides was Plato's great grandfather?
The tale states he was Critias' great grandfather.
Plato is not one of the characters in the dialogue between Socrates, Critias and Timaeus.

Harte

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Marduk

Dammit, that goes back a bit
I think I recall the one you mean, but not sure what I did with it (or where I got it from).....

But this summarises the changes over the last Glacial:

www.esd.ornl.gov...

And there is lots of useful stuff here:

www.dandebat.dk...

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Explain the sudden thaw at the end of the last ice age

It wasnt that sudden and it appears to have be no different to the thaws at the end of the previous Glacials. Not aware of any evidence to the contrary? The real mystery (if there is one) is the reversion to colder conditions known as the Younger Dryas.

What about the Mass extinction's of fauna that had weathered several previous glacial and inter glacial period's or the apparent weather shift in the northern siberian region.

The main difference was the arrival on the scene of a new species from Africa that had pointy sticks and fire ..... Human predation being just enough to push some species over the edge, with this creating a "knock-on" effect for other species. As for Siberia, the main change was one to a wetter climate and consequential changes in vegetation. Which mammoths didnt like but other species like bison - which greatly increased in population and range around the same time - did.

btw, the nearest we have to a Mammoth Steppe climate in the world today is probably the Gobi Desert - cold and dry. Not by coincidence is it still the home to the musk ox as well as other species that shared Siberia with the woolly mammoth:

thegobidesertproject.wordpress.com...

One over point: its worth remembering that most mammoth remains from Siberia date to interstadials (warm spells), especially the one around 40kya. Not from the last glacial maximum.

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: AndyMayhew

It wasnt that sudden and it appears to have be no different to the thaws at the end of the previous Glacials.

No it wasnt sudden at all, not like the onset and eventual reversal of the YD,

The real mystery (if there is one) is the reversion to colder conditions known as the Younger Dryas.
The trigger for the onset of the YD is quite the mystery, and the evidence is piling up to de-mystify it if anyone cares to look hard enough.

You might find this interesting

One of the prominent features in sediment sequences formed around the Allerød-Younger Dryas transition (c. 12.9–12.8 ka bp) in North America is a dark layer of organic-rich material, i.e. the black mat. The black mat sequences in southeast Arizona contain a thin sandy basal layer corresponding to the lower Younger Dryas boundary. ...........The black mat samples and samples of the underlying host sediments display compositions similar to the average continental crust, while the sediments from the lower Younger Dryas boundary are enriched in rare earth elements, Ni, and Co whereas Ta, Nb, Zr, and Hf are depleted relative to the rare earth elements. Such a difference in compositions between the lower Younger Dryas boundary sediments and other sediments points to a short enigmatic event, which changed conditions of sedimentation just before the onset of the Younger Dryas cooling. The presence of products of biomass burning of still unknown origin is suggested on the basis of trace element features of sediments from the lower Younger Dryas boundary.

Unique Chemistry at YD boundry

posted on Aug, 29 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   

As for the ice age taking thousand's of years to end, that is not a proven fact,

As others have pointed out, it's actually well supported by the evidence.

... how many cataclysmic event's such as the north American ice damn occured

Not that many. These things leave evidence.

... or if there were similar event's elsewhere,

A few, but rare.

...how much it desalinated the sea water of the north Atlantic and slowed the atlantic conveyor as a result.

a) not very much (imagine someone pouring a coffee cup full of soda into a standard sized swimming pool)
b) not at all. The volume of water rushing over land looked amazingly large, BUT... around 72% of the Earth's surface is covered by ocean.. Even a volume of water as large as 1% of our total land mass is a fraction of less than 0.5% of the planetary surface.

And Siberia does play a part, Hapgood's idea offered an explanation even if it was wrong and therefore it's explanation is now bunk but how can we explain these large animal's and other mild climate dependant fauna living and eating in an environment we would not expect to find there at that time while much more southerly part's of neighbouring Europe were still in the grip of there then presumably retreating ice sheet's,

a) they weren't mild climate dependent... look at the long fur coats on these animals.
b) the glacier range depends on a lot of things - and land gets colder more quickly than water. Hence glaciers form more readily over land rather than over water.

And none of this is evidence for an Atlantis.

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   

The Younger Dryas impact hypothesis. Also, known as the Clovis comet hypothesis.

A "shotgun" meteor impact on a several mile thick ice sheet would leave no trace. Other than a flash flood down the Mississippi valley, and a barren landscape.

Sonar has already been used and shows that the bottoms of the great lakes DO have impact craters still visible. Additionally, a study in the Journal of Geology (August 2014), Prof. Kennett (et al.) looked at the distribution of nano-diamonds produced during extraterrestrial collisions; 50 million square kilometers of Northern Hemisphere at YDB was found to have these nano-diamonds. Only two layers exist showing such nano-diamonds: the YDB 12,800 calendar years ago and the Cretaceous-Tertiary boundary 65 million years ago, which is also marked by the mass extinctions.

Lake Ontario Crater

I did a fairly large post regarding this some years ago.

Keep in mind, as the Ice Sheets were retreating, sea levels were already rising at 10ft a century. Any sort of impact like described above would cause localized flooding/extinctions. (This could explain several extinctions of large mammals, in North America around this time time)

Things to ponder.

edit on 4-9-2016 by Triton1128 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-9-2016 by Triton1128 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join