It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help identifying equipment assumed to be for power distribution

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Any professionals who know exactly what this is and can anyone provide some online resources regarding this technology?

One was erected a few miles from my home and I'm curious what it's for. I know there are many wind farm projects happening in the area but not in the immediate vicinity.

Whatever it is, I've never seen one of these in my parts of the woods!

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Just a complete guess, but it looks like a ground of some sort - for if lightning hits or to discharge static?

Second thought, could it be in case of high winds and a power surge, to bleed off the extra?
edit on 25-8-2016 by SentientCentenarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Looks like the makings of a electric sub-station. If you google images on it, you'll see the similarities.

My 2cents

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

I'm assuming OP meant the structure in front, the square thing. The power lines don't seem to connect to it.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: SentientCentenarian

Not yet, but they will when it's complete. Looks like his neck of the woods is growing!

We are talking about the structure being erected and not the bricks in the foreground right?

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 12:48 AM
link   
a reply to: lurker007

Look up Sub-station arc on YouTube. I cant link it from mobile
Best i can do.
www.google.com... ome-mobile&ie=UTF-8
edit on 25-8-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Seems like a substation. But a few years in the future.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

The bricks in the foreground ... mailbox
I will drive by again today to see if they have added to it

We do have substations around here but I don't think they look too similar imo
edit on 25-8-2016 by lurker007 because: Edit

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 12:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: SentientCentenarian

Not yet, but they will when it's complete. Looks like his neck of the woods is growing!

We are talking about the structure being erected and not the bricks in the foreground right?

[/quote

This is correct. The structure is not complete but will hold a few banks of transformers and connect to the power grid.
It is infrastructure improvement. Lightning rods on top will connect to a ring around the structure for grounding.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 12:53 AM
link   
You should have just asked the guy w the hard hat.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 12:54 AM
link   

That is interesting.

I like the ideas about it being some forward thinking item. It looks ready for some major 3 phase hookups to come into it.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 12:54 AM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

Yeah he seemed busy though lol

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 01:11 AM
link   

edit on 25-8-2016 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Found this:

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 01:47 AM
link   

"I know there are many wind farm projects happening in the area but not in the immediate vicinity."

Then it must be a surge protector. Updated substation to bleed off excess power from the windmills.

I'd snip my pants if i were the guy getting my mail at that box when it purges! 😆

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Looks like a vacrupter (air powered switch) and they are spectacular when they go wrong.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 02:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
Looks like the makings of a electric sub-station. If you google images on it, you'll see the similarities.

My 2cents

Yup. Doesn't yet have the pad mounts and fencing installed. Pretty small one though.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 02:34 AM
link   
3 phase distribution point, probably a replacement for the wooden unit next to it with room for expansion

The wires quite often are not insulated so its why you need to give them space, also if you suffer from tornado's etc it might be more resistant and thus quicker to restore power afterwards but burying would be better but it costs a hell of a lot more to setup.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 02:37 AM
link   

As others have said, power/switchgear distribution/mount for substation, probably wind.

In the UK we make these out of steel box section or in Scotland specifically it's 6082 grade aluminium box section, never pipe as shown in your photo.

I've never seen one on its own like this, but I've never been to site before.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 04:54 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheFlesh1980

The incoming substation distribution tower with 'lightning arrestors' and 'air break switches', just like your diagram shows.

Others:

top topics

<<   2 >>

join