It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millennial Music Appreciation Thread

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I'm a big fan of both Katy Perry and Taylor Swift. I don't know much about millennial music outside of those two. I know I need to prove to the music purists here that both artists are 'talented enough.' I know I need to prove that their songs are meaningful too.

Katy Perry - Mannequin (Live at SXSW)

This is one of the most meaningful pop songs I've ever heard. Katy Perry performs it perfectly alone. What else do you want?

www.youtube.com...

Taylor Performs "Wildest Dreams" at The GRAMMY Museum

Once again, this is a very meaningful pop song. Taylor Swift performs it perfectly alone. What else do you want?

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 01:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion
I know I need to prove to the music purists here that both artists are 'talented enough.' I know I need to prove that their songs are meaningful too.

No... no you don't, mostly because that's not possible.

...and also, welcome to Earth.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 02:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

They're both very good at what they do and release great singalong songs.

Some people always put down current music and insist the music of their youth was better than anyone else's lol. I'd bet the songs of either girl would probably have gone Top 10 in any decade from the mid 60s onwards - it's pop music. Production values change and the hooks, rhymes and beats don't.

'Meaning' matters less the older you get. Screw meaning!!

Bigger question is: Does it move you?

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I'm interested in what music is currently popular. I don't keep track really and the I-Heart radio stations around here are stuck in the 1980s. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   
In addition to the artists you mentioned, I feel Lady Gaga is very talented as well, especially the songs she has released under her real name, Stefani Germanotta.

But the best part about the time period is that, thanks to the Internet, independent/underground artists have a better opportunity of getting their music heard than they once did. Here's a piece from one of my favorite independent artists

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Good or bad? Music is its own reward. You all dont have to like it, understand it, play it or buy it...but all of it is valid.

Most people would say the worlds oldest instrument is the drum. It isnt. It is the human voice.

Music validates itself...even if you hate it. I appreciate Taylor, Madonna, the Beatles, Dizzy Gillespie, Zeppelin, Foo Fighters, Joanna Newsom, Eminem, T-Bone Walker...Glenn Miller, even Weird Al Yankovic.

All music...is still music.

MS
Songwriter and former Guitar Instructor

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I like Joe Budden a lot.

youtu.be...

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I heard M83 is a good millennial band. I don't know of any others!

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

Putting it simply...as a musician?. I like every damn thing. True, some I cant listen to very long...but appreciate all none the less!

new topics

top topics

join