It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was it Jesus's wedding?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   
A friend who claims to have studied and learned hebrew while incarcerated has this theory:

He claims that in biblical times, it was jewish tradition that only members of the wedding party that were related to either the bride or the groom or the bride and the groom themselves could serve/share wine/water.

His claim continues that at the Jewish wedding where Jesus turns water into wine and serves the wedding guests that it was it just wasn't any wedding but the wedding of Jesus himself.

That by Jesus serving the wine, it proves that Jesus was probably the groom.

Now I don't know enough about jewish traditions to dispute him, but I am interested in finishing this conversation with him and would like your opinions and thoughts if whether this tradition is true or not.

[edit on 1-20-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Actually part of the convenant or contract promise is to drink a cup of wine with the father of the bride.

Yes some said that the actual wedding that Jesus attended was his own wedding.

Is a lot of discrepancies about the real life of Jesus the man, If he was Jewish he would have married as tradition.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   
The scriptures make it clear that Jesus and his disciples were invited to the wedding. He turned the water into wine because the host ran out of wine and Mary, Jesus' mother, asked him to help. He most certainly was not the groom.

www.biblegateway.com...

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   
hmmm.. thanks djohnsto, i'll have quote the "word" to argue this one with him, but he won't be able to dispute the word now would he?

so his mother was at the wedding?
interesting.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 07:02 PM
link   
wait, wait, I forgot his main point was that the king James version and other english translations misinterpreted the hebrew words and made it seem like Jesus was just a guest instead of the groom, that's why his mother was there and asked him to do such a thing.

If you're God, (son of God), why would you waste your time and powers on such a trivial thing if it was just a stranger's or even friend's wedding, he didn't do this for his disciples weddings, if they had any, he did this at this particular wedding because it was his own wedding.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I believe the Jesus the man more that Jesus the "god" after all as a man he was a high ranking member of the Jewish community.

But as everything in the bible is just a very incredible myth.

Christianity and the Church turned Jesus wedding to the wedding of men to the church, in a way very convenient, and many of the Jewish traditions were change to new improved Christian ones to match the new religion at the time.

Christ is the bridegroom. Church is the bride. The Father makes and approves the choice. John the Baptist shows himself as best man.Jesus promises to come and take His bride, the church, away to be with Him.

Very nice and conveniently turn into the Christianity believes in which Jesus can not be a man so he can not be married.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Correct in all details but one DJohnsto, their is absolutely nothing in the second chapter of the Gospel of St John that says that Jesus was not the Bridegroom, this is just an opinion.

There is however a number of references to Jesus as the bridegroom. see Matt ix 15;Luke v 34; Matt xxv 1-13.

Many Scholars beleive, as does your freind, that Jesus was indeed the bridegroom, and the wedding at Cana was his marraige to Mary Magdelene.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   
If this was his own wedding...i wonder if he had children and if there are descendents living today?

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   
This are most of the references in the bible about the "wedding"

John 10:28
John 3:29
Jeremiah 31:31 Matthew 26:27-29, 1 Corinthians 6:20 John 14:2-3
1 Thessalonians 4:16-17 John 3:29 Revelation 19:7-8 Revelation 20:16

Now all these refernces are to jesus the God and not the man.

And yes I agree with Flange Gasket Jesus bride was Mary Magdelene.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 07:31 PM
link   
John says he was invited to the wedding. You don't get invited to your own wedding. Plus, it refers to the bridegroom separately.

I don't understand what the connection at all is in Matt 11:15. Luke 5:34 and Matt 25:1-13 are just parables, you're not saying Jesus had 10 virgins to pick from at his supposed wedding are you?

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 07:34 PM
link   
does anyone know what the closest hebrew translation of this passage is? and if there is a possibility for the words to have been misinterpreted, as my friend claims.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cherish
If this was his own wedding...i wonder if he had children and if there are descendents living today?

Good question I beleive their descendats were trace to frances and then it kind of when missing from there, some think its due to keep them safe, after all the biggest hoax in history has made christianity what it is today.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Why would the apostles and other followers in the early jesus movement not make note that he was married?

The friend of your says it was an error introduce in the KJV, but what do the earlier versions say?

As far as jesus wasting his time, thats pretty much all he did, hanging out with criminals, radicals, whores, the sick and dying.

link   
It says (from John II:1) "and the mother of Jesus was there; and Jesus also, and the disciples were invited to the marraige feast.

I don't see how you infer from this that Jesus was an invited guest. It sounds more like Jesus and Mary were there and the disciples were invited...

link   
If I was the son of GOD and still getting the ball and chain, Id wanna get sozzled too! no wonder he turned water to wine !

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
wait, wait, I forgot his main point was that the king James version and other english translations misinterpreted the hebrew words and made it seem like Jesus was just a guest instead of the groom, that's why his mother was there and asked him to do such a thing.

If you're God, (son of God), why would you waste your time and powers on such a trivial thing if it was just a stranger's or even friend's wedding, he didn't do this for his disciples weddings, if they had any, he did this at this particular wedding because it was his own wedding.

if your the son of god, dont you have the booze for your wedding covered?
dont tell me that the allmighty underestimated how much liquer he'd need?

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   
The reference to John 3:29 is illuminating, John says,

"The bridegroom is He who posesses the bride; but that freind of the bridegroom who stands and hear's him, rejoices with joy, because of the bridegrooms voice; this, therefore, my joy has been completed."

i.e. John is the best man at Jesus wedding...

and yes, again your correct djonsto, I'm not saying he had ten virgins, as already stated I think he married Mary Magdelene.

Hear what my learned collegue Paul Richard has to say...

[edit on 20-1-2005 by Flange Gasket]

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   
The latest evidence suggests that Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene. It also suggests that Mary was never a prostitute and that the whole idea of her having been so was orchestrated by early church leaders because they felt threatened by her influence -- since she was considered a respected spiritual teacher in her own right.

Mary Magdalene: Author of the Fourth Gospel?

The current bible is fragmented, with many chapters having been omitted by church leaders through the centuries to suit their personal agendas in controlling the population.

Most Christians think of Jesus as having been single because the church twisted the truth to justify and further the case of Jesus being God.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Yes you are right Mary Magdalene was never a prostitute she was of royal blood taken in consideration that Jesus the man was one also.

And by the way the translations of the bible from ancient documents were misinterpreted and words were completely change so the meaning.

Also during the translation the meaning of the word Son of God was not the original meaning.

Translations of the scriptures were in aramaic, hebrew and arab they were the semitic languages of the time.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I agree that if Jesus was married, it was definately to Mary Magdalene, but I don't think he was. Also, it is accepted that Mary Magdalene was not a prostitute, that's always been a misconception. Mary Magdalene was introduced in the Bible right after the story about a prostitute, but they weren't the same person. There are other oblique references in the Bible I saw used on a TV show about this theory that indicate that he was never married. I don't remember where it is in the Bible but they quoted a letter from one of the unmarried apostles asking whether he could marry and he listed other apostles who were married but he didn't say anything about Jesus being married.

Perhaps most importantly Revelation 19:7 says this:

7Let us rejoice and be glad
      and give him glory! For the wedding of the Lamb has come,
      and his bride has made herself ready.

indicating that Jesus will be married to his Church in the end.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join