It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Faster Then Light Speed, Can We Do It?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: mbkennel

It's actually pretty complicated and the real description is known as Quantum Field Theory (in particular quantum optics) and you need to go to graduate school in physics to learn it.

No)) Trust me, after graduation I afraid I will be even more clueless than I am now))

I looked up definition of 'quantum optics' on wiki, very impressive stuff and over my head.
But in my opinion, definition of 'light' should be simple, not taking several pages of explanations.

Light imo is a mean to exchange energy through physical processes in cosmos. Light looks like longitudinal wave spreading outward as it travels through space and it is 'quanta' deep. Similar to a dounut. Something like that)

May be light is something that should not exist in 'abandoned state'? Nature of enerry to be part of physical object, like an atom. Thats why energy moves, or being moved, may be? ))

thanks for your reply.

edit on 19-10-2016 by greenreflections because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: greenreflections
Light looks like longitudinal wave...

Since light is polarizable, that sort of puts an end to it being longitudinal. Your LCD monitor stands as a mute witness to its transverseness.
edit on 19-10-2016 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Wait! You can polarize light? Hmmm. That gives me some ideas. Origionally i was going to try and create a weird rig using dielectric fields and transverse the galaxy. But then i though naw sunglasses. Thats where all the moneys at. To be extra protective i layer two polarized lenses in perpendicular. But so far nobodies buying my solar blockers by daveban. You think the problem is the name? I cant figure it out. Anyways, why do i feel like if they do sell ill get sued for something like that guy in The Jerk.
edit on 19-10-2016 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2016 @ 01:35 AM
link   
a reply to: greenreflections

Well if Mother Nature cared about what we thought we sure as heck wouldn't have gotten quantum mechanics. But She don't care about how we think something should be.

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

Light looks like longitudinal wave...

Since light is polarizable, that sort of puts an end to it being longitudinal. Your LCD monitor stands as a mute witness to its transverseness.

Transverse wave can be viewed in 3D as longitudinal wave. Transverse wave is 2D snapshot of the event seems like.

Besides, link for both definitions mentioned 'medium' is required.

i personally think medium is not necessary. Energy exchange field is the 'medium' for itself.

And I said 'looks like'.

edit on 21-10-2016 by greenreflections because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-10-2016 by greenreflections because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: BlackProject

Of course we can, and Nothing can possibly go wrong!!!

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Question -- in which way physics describes 'wave' part of 'wave-particle' duality?

cheers)

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   

I wouldnt argue with bedlam about physics

posted on Oct, 21 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   

I wouldnt argue with bedlam about physics

(Double post)
Cause it needs to be repeated
edit on 21-10-2016 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Transverse wave can be viewed in 3D as longitudinal wave. Transverse wave is 2D snapshot of the event seems like.

Not really, they're qualitatively different.

Besides, link for both definitions mentioned 'medium' is required.

i personally think medium is not necessary. Energy exchange field is the 'medium' for itself.

The types of transverse waves you see them talking about, like ripples on the surface of the water, DO require a medium, but EM does not. Since longitudinal waves cannot be polarized, and EM can, EM is by definition not longitudinal. Further, transverse waves which DO propagate in/on a medium HAVE TO occur at a boundary - the surface of water, for example. You can't get transverse waves in bulk media.

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

I am not arguing.

2nd..
edit on 24-10-2016 by greenreflections because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   

so how do you explain 'wave' part of wave-particle duality? What it is based on since there is no medium?

edit on 24-10-2016 by greenreflections because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   

so how do you explain 'wave' part of wave-particle duality? What it is based on since there is no medium?

In the case of photons, they're made of time-varying electric and magnetic fields. Each creates the other.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   

In the case of photons, they're made of time-varying electric and magnetic fields. Each creates the other.

Where is 'wave' in this explanation? The field...yes, the field. From wiki "... a particle makes a field, and a field acts on another particle, and the field has such familiar properties as energy content and momentum, just as particles can have". May be single quanta, when released, assumes donut shape spreading outward enclosing energy packet (quanta) with surface being 2D.
This article explains better. I could not find animation but the link should do.
Another link
And in this scenario energy is conserved.

Second: 'Field' is where the particle with said properties can be found based on probability factor. But this still points to a 'particle' part of 'wave-particle' duality.

Wave...how does 'field' relate to 'wave', please? Does 'field' have properties of a wave then?

edit on 26-10-2016 by greenreflections because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Where is 'wave' in this explanation?

The "time varying" part of it implies it. EM waves are collections of photons, each of which is (from my POV) a time-varying electrical field creating a time-varying magnetic field creating a time-varying electrical field (ad infinitum). The fields create each other in a sort of push-me/pull-you oscillatory fashion, the rate of propagation is determined by the permittivity and permeability of the space in which it propagates.

Grant you, from a modern physics perspective it's a lot more opaque and involves tensors and Hamiltonians.

But from my POV as an engineer, this is also correct. There are many ways of looking at the elephant.

eta: don't think of 'wave' as implying 'something is waving' like water ripples. 'Wave' means any traveling oscillatory disturbance.
edit on 26-10-2016 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   
No you are not moving faster then the speed of sound,thought,or light. The best you can do is micro miniaturize and seemingly teleport but at the end of the day you are still limited to the speed of sound.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teotihuacan
No you are not moving faster then the speed of sound,thought,or light. The best you can do is micro miniaturize and seemingly teleport but at the end of the day you are still limited to the speed of sound.

Lots of things go faster than the speed of sound.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   

The fields create each other in a sort of push-me/pull-you oscillatory fashion

Yes, I agree in a way. There has to be mainly 'pull out' as of average filed tension from an atom bond. Field in attempt to restore ambient tension, probing an atom for weak bonds by the result of oscillatory action ( to 'claim' back to the energy exchange field where weak (unstable or short lived) bonds are present. This sort of action is 'negative' from an atom point of view and 'positive' from point of view for an average (normal) field tension.

thanks for your answers

cheers)
edit on 29-10-2016 by greenreflections because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   
This will help anyone confused about waves.

Physics Videos by Eugene Khutoryansky: Fourier Transform, Fourier Series, and frequency spectrum
youtube.com...

And the fundamental concept of polar interaction:
youtube.com...

One correction to Eugenes work, he suggests the eternal dynamic field is not fully realized/detected because of a normal cancelation/standing wave state. This is not true. The wave field is not detected because detectors cause detection. The field is omnipresent.. It cannot be seperated. Resistance must be introduced to create time and locality. Enter the reflection of the future.

An opposing image shooting back at itself. Vola: death and Time. But these 2 halves to the standing wave cell structure are not equal. One is traction for spinning tires. Too much = stuck in the mud = overheat = not life. Stillness is the state of Hell my friends.

edit on 30-10-2016 by JuanDope because: Inbed fail

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   

You can't get transverse waves in bulk media.

Sure you can: earthquakes. But you need a more complicated stress-strain relationship that you can't get in a Newtonian fluid.

A reference from 1937: gsmnras.oxfordjournals.org...

And no doubt in a plasma, you could get all sorts of freakish combinations of coupled charge fluid & EM field waves.

edit on 31-10-2016 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join