It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PC Madness Strikes Again.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 06:11 AM
link   
The era of the offended. They should go on with it, let them be offended.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
I agree it's a little silly since it has nothing to do with race at all (unlike those stupid minstrel shows where they traditionally made fun of black people), but since the whole purpose of painting the face was to hide it, couldn't they just paint them a different color? Seems like a simple compromise and would allow the dancers to keep on doing their thing. A dark purple would be beautiful.

Is it ok if we change some black cultures's traditions to suit what we white folks want?

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

Do black people have a tradition where they put white makeup on their face and walk around like they have a stick up their butt? I'm not aware of any tradition like that but if so, then I can see where white people might be offended.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   
honestly i think this whole political correctness movement going on in the western world is dangerous and threatens to destroy liberty and free thought, if it isn't stopped the western world will truly become like 1984 but it will come by the hands of the people rather than the state.

all you supposed "progressive" thinkers keep it up and you will destroy the freedom and justice you value so much and you will only have yourselves to blame.

in the west we go on about freedom and justice but under it all i think most people want to just be controlled and guided by order and are just afraid to admit it and give in to the truth so they play word games and hide under the guise of progressive thought.
edit on 25-8-2016 by namehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Do black people have a tradition where they put white makeup on their face and walk around like they have a stick up their butt? I'm not aware of any tradition like that but if so, then I can see where white people might be offended.

But you have already stated that it's got nothing to do with race, so why should they make any concessions? And black people aren't offended by it apparently (I mean, why would they be?) It's predominantly white people who are offended on their behalf.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

These dancers have a choice. They can change it up a little to keep on playing at this festival, or they can refuse and not play at the festival. Freedom - great, isn't it? Apparently other types of dance groups have made the decision to change how they do things of their own free will without any major harm to anyone, including themselves.

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
OH BOY could I get in trouble on this one....................... I'mgoinn'a say nutt'in

Please. Please. Please say it

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   

I agree it's a little silly since it has nothing to do with race at all (unlike those stupid minstrel shows where they traditionally made fun of black people), but since the whole purpose of painting the face was to hide it, couldn't they just paint them a different color? Seems like a simple compromise and would allow the dancers to keep on doing their thing. A dark purple would be beautiful.

So I guess you're REALLY pissed at all the black comedians that make fun of white people then. The only problem is, that is still happening today. Personally I find it funny but I...as a white person...have a sense of humor and can laugh at myself. But it would be nice if both whites and blacks were treated equally. No black jokes...no white jokes. Don't you agree?

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: BelowLowAnnouncement

This isn't racist though, why should they have to change or compromise because of irrational PC stupidity? It's like you're acknowledging that it's stupid, but saying go along with it anyways. We should be stamping out stupidity not encouraging it.

Lets make this completely clear. No person should be forced against their will, or punished for any view or opinion they have. As long as they follow the law, don't attack, assault, etc...everyone has a right to be an ass. Freedom of speech and all. Yeah...they have to deal with the repercussions, but they should be equally protected. As much as an employer has no right to turn away a black employee, they also shouldn't be able to turn away a person who doesn't like black people.

We are supposed to be a country of the ultimate freedoms. Religion, belief, views...everything. Nazis have a right to hate Jews, racists have a right to hate blacks, homophones have a right to hate gays. The same as those gays have a right to hate the homophones, the blacks hate the racists and the Jews hate the Nazis. No one gets to dictate which is right or wrong...they are opinions. You can disagree...but there are no rights nor wrongs.

And on the topic of being forced to compromise...no majority of law abiding citizens should EVER be forced to change their right to be who and what they are for a minority. Especially not a minority of one. To quote Obama (God forbid) "That is NOT who we are". What we are is a country about freedom and equality. I am free to do as I wish within the law without fear of retribution or assault, and I must treat everyone the same. They also are free to do as they wish within the same boundaries.

It is those who think the minority has special rights to demand from everyone, or who think that people shouldn't be allowed to have their own opinions...as much as you may not like them...that are the problem. That is not freedom. That is not America.
edit on 8/28/2016 by WeAreAWAKE because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

OH GO ON!
They'll ONLY yank your post and WARN you... I DO!

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   

a reply to: CJCrawley

These dancers have a choice. They can change it up a little to keep on playing at this festival, or they can refuse and not play at the festival. Freedom - great, isn't it? Apparently other types of dance groups have made the decision to change how they do things of their own free will without any major harm to anyone, including themselves.

You are so wrong and don't appear to understand freedom. They should be free to express themselves as they wish, and not be forced to conform to the wishes of others. You would fully support a gay pride parade and would scream and yell if people said they should "change it up a little" and tone it down.

Or...you are a hypocrite. You can't only give freedom to those you like or support. Freedom has to be for everyone, regardless of your opinion.

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

THERE are many tribes and dances in Africa ONE CAN'T know them ALL ...duh

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Amen to that. And I'll type another sentence to avoid yet another spanking.

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
a reply to: Plotus

OH GO ON!
They'll ONLY yank your post and WARN you... I DO!

PS: The Amen was to this post of yours.

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

What the heck are you talking about? Black comedians can make fun of whites all they want. White comedians can make fun of blacks all they want. This thread doesn't have anything to do with comedians.

No one has forced the dance troupe to do anything. No one should force the festival owners to do anything either. The dance troupe is free to keep painting their faces black, and the festival owners are free to not hire them as long as they paint their faces black. My suggestion was only made to give the dance troupe a chance to keep on dancing at the festival - I never said they should be forced by law to paint their faces a different color.

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Cool stuff---seem like good free peoples to me.

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   

What the heck are you talking about? Black comedians can make fun of whites all they want. White comedians can make fun of blacks all they want. This thread doesn't have anything to do with comedians.

No one has forced the dance troupe to do anything. No one should force the festival owners to do anything either. The dance troupe is free to keep painting their faces black, and the festival owners are free to not hire them as long as they paint their faces black. My suggestion was only made to give the dance troupe a chance to keep on dancing at the festival - I never said they should be forced by law to paint their faces a different color.

Really? So I'm free to tell a black joke? An insulting one? What I'm talking about is equal rights regardless of what others think. Your logic would seem to imply that an employer should be allowed to say...sure black person, you are allowed to work. Just not here at my business.

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Not hiring someone because they dress in a way that is not appropriate for your business is not the same as not hiring someone who is a certain race. You can change how you dress; you can't change your race.

I was just looking at the thread on how Ann Coulter got roasted, and someone put a youtube video of the old roasts with Don Rickles. He's a white guy and he made plenty of jokes about black people there. Jokes like "all you look alike", and "I love you, but don't move into my neighborhood", and "I know you want to say something, but you people's lips tend to lock up". Nobody arrested him up for those jokes. And this was not too long after the civil rights movement of the 60's, when everyone was a little sensitive.

I bet I could find a current white comedian who has made a joke about blacks if I looked for it on you tube. So don't act like it hasn't happened.

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Clearly, certain aspects of the voodoo religion are making mockery of white people. I think this might have to do with what we keep hearing about "white devils," but if they would just make this a pale, pastel pink instead ... well, I think that might be an acceptable compromise and not racist at all.

posted on Aug, 28 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Sure, okay. If a festival doesn't want to have voodoo dancers at their festival because of what they put on their faces, fine by me. And if the voodoo dancers decide to change what they put on their faces, that's fine by me too.

See, I'm easy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join