It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PC Madness Strikes Again.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Border Morris Dancers have been banned from a Folk Festival, because they apply black paint to their faces.

This tradition is more than 500 years old but it seems to be now offensive to the PC Brigade. Utter madness.

www.shropshirestar.com...

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Yes I agree utter PC madness

In my little market town in Yorkshire our Morris dancers paint half their faces black and the other half white ...
so I guess the faint hearted and sensitive PC people both Black and White can be equally offended

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   
alldaylong

Wow..people are going to be missing out. Such beautiful and haunting dances..whatever their origins..beautiful is beautiful..

Thanks,
blend57

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Huh, that's not what I thought morris dancers dressed like. Looks like it's time for a wikipedia adventure.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   
OH BOY could I get in trouble on this one....................... I'mgoinn'a say nutt'in

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Yes indeed, political correctness has the ability to breach every
form of tradition, regardless of race, creed, culture or country.

The past 20 to 30 years it's been wrecking havoc here in
America. Schools are starting to teach the absurd notion
that children should be confused about their gender identity.

They are not satisfied living their own perversions, so now
they want children and everyone else to be just as perverted
as they are. Unfortunately until people get tired of this
nonsense these people will continue to foist their filth on
the rest of us.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I agree it's a little silly since it has nothing to do with race at all (unlike those stupid minstrel shows where they traditionally made fun of black people), but since the whole purpose of painting the face was to hide it, couldn't they just paint them a different color? Seems like a simple compromise and would allow the dancers to keep on doing their thing. A dark purple would be beautiful.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Sadly this is part of British history that I have no experience with. HERE it would be an issue. Then again here wasn't populated by white folk 500 years ago.

+13 more 
posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
I agree it's a little silly since it has nothing to do with race at all (unlike those stupid minstrel shows where they traditionally made fun of black people), but since the whole purpose of painting the face was to hide it, couldn't they just paint them a different color? Seems like a simple compromise and would allow the dancers to keep on doing their thing. A dark purple would be beautiful.

This isn't racist though, why should they have to change or compromise because of irrational PC stupidity? It's like you're acknowledging that it's stupid, but saying go along with it anyways. We should be stamping out stupidity not encouraging it.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: MrBlaq

The past 20 to 30 years it's been wrecking havoc here in America. Schools are starting to teach the absurd notion that children should be confused about their gender identity.

what lesson would that be?

They are not satisfied living their own perversions, so now they want children and everyone else to be just as perverted as they are.

im sure morris dancers will be chuffed to be thrown into this conspiracy.

back on topic, why not name the complainant?
these get togethers numbers do dwindle year upon year, what better way to get people interested than via some faux outrage?
im not saying this is a marketing ploy, but i can see the mail and telegraphing using this as an example of the destruction of western society, and a spike in numbers for the morris dancing folk.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

I'd like to know exactly who it was who decided that *black* was the only

colour which caused offensiveness?

If 'dark purple' were used some bright spark would come out with "They were

being offensive toward battered women" or some sort of similar silly thing.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

they shouldn't have to, they identify as black paint face painters.

isn't there some big deal going on these days about how people should be accepted no matter what they identify with?

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   
OK. Did a little research and have a question or two. Was black slavery a thing in Britain in 1500? To me it looks like it started later in the century. Secondly the source says this was a tradition to mask their identities. Maybe where KISS got the idea from initially. What's wrong with that?

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Best I see it is as this,

that the blackface tradition derives from earlier forms of the dance involving a Moroccan king and his followers. There is recorded evidence from 1688 of payments in Shrewsbury of 10 shillings to "Ye Bedlam Morris" and 2 shillings for "Ye King of Morocco"
The clue might be in the name going back, Morys, in Germany, Moriscan dancers both face painters.
It's likely too that uncouth mimicry occurred in centuries past, while still being a dance.

In edit, the latter would be as opposed to the memorable anti-discriminatory Al Jolson who face painted for some of the songs he sang on stage, even though it was a stage custom before him, that's how convoluted the idea can get.
Jolson went on to film 'The Jazz Singer' as big a statement of the times, as the film, 'Birth of a Nation'

That says it all really, if these 'PC' people want to ban that, then they are banning history Et Al....and could possibly be missing the point.

edit on 24-8-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

And there we have it... "just a little compromise". Stop a tradition that's hundreds of years old, is not meant as a racist slur to start with, but let's "compromise" so's not to offend those who get offended at everything.
To the PC crowd, "compromise" means "Do it our way or not at all"

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

And here we have it - a liberal who says let's compromise, and a conservative who says "NO COMPROMISE!"

By the way, I saw a girl in one of the videos wearing fishnet stockings. I'm pretty sure they didn't have those 500 years ago, so there has already been a little compromising going on...

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Oh hey, I’ve actually seen them guys dance. They’re pretty good to be fair but I must admit that I find the whole Morris Dancing stuff kinda bizarre really. Freaky actually, it’s almost satanic so I don’t really trust it much. Then again, I don’t really trust anything or anybody these days so that’s no surprise.

Yeah, that’s the same people I saw, I have two videos of them but they’re MOV files and can’t convert them for YouTube otherwise I’d upload them. -- fixed that by renaming the files.

edit on 1WednesdayWednesdayAmerica/Chicago7pmWednesday3pm08 by IllegalName because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   
PC people do realize that "black" people aren't literally BLACK, and that "white" people aren't literally WHITE, no?

originally posted by: IllegalName
Oh hey, I’ve actually seen them guys dance. They’re pretty good to be fair but I must admit that I find the whole Morris Dancing stuff kinda bizarre really. Freaky actually, it’s almost satanic so I don’t really trust it much. Then again, I don’t really trust anything or anybody these days so that’s no surprise.

Perhaps that's the real reason?

Degenerate Art (German: Entartete Kunst)
Degenerate art (German: Entartete Kunst) was a term adopted by the Nazi regime in Germany to describe virtually all modern art. Such art was banned on the grounds that it was un-German, Jewish, or Communist in nature, and those identified as degenerate artists were subjected to sanctions. These included being dismissed from teaching positions, being forbidden to exhibit or to sell their art, and in some cases being forbidden to produce art.
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 24-8-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   

And that's how you ruin 500 years worth tradition in one swoop. The irony is, it is racist to say people of colour cannot see face paint without being offended. But there are no repercussions for those kinds of racists.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

And that's how you ruin 500 years worth tradition in one swoop. The irony is, it is racist to say people of colour cannot see face paint without being offended. But there are no repercussions for those kinds of racists.

Exactly. The roots of this aren't against any Blacks that I could see. It's just not there. But obviously others are unwilling to see that.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join