It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: CDC Recommends HIV Drugs for All Exposed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   
In a major shift in plolicy, The U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) is recommending that people exposed to AIDS be it rapes, accidents, occasional drug use, or unsafe sex receive drug cocktails to help prevent infection. Perviously this recommendation was for health care workers that had been stuck with a needle or other exposure. The treatment should start within 72 hours and last 28 days.

story.news.yahoo.com
ATLANTA - In a major policy shift, the government recommended for the first time Thursday that people exposed to the AIDS virus from rapes, accidents or occasional drug use or unsafe sex receive drug cocktails that can keep them from becoming infected.

Previously, federal health officials recommended emergency drug treatment only for health-care workers accidentally stuck with a needle, splashed in the eye with blood, or exposed in some other way on the job. That recommendation was first made in 1996.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention expanded its guidelines to rape victims and many others Thursday. It said treatment should start no more than 72 hours after a person has been exposed to the virus, and the drugs should be used by patients for 28 days.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This change bring the U.S. more in line with what other countries are doing, most notably Europe. Needlesticks can be scary. My wife was stuck a few years ago by a careless doctor but it was fortunate that the child was clean. Hepatitis is also a huge concern as well. I'm glad to see this change however, and we should try to prevent this disease whenever possible.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   
the one problem i see here is that insurance companies will drop someone like a rock if they claim a few prescriptions of AIDS cocktails from the pharmacy...

medical records being what they are, I feel that this will require legislation to prevent abuse by insurance companies...

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Not sure how health insurance policies work, but if you contract HIV and need the drugs, surely they can't just cancel your policy? Presumably though some new policies will come about which specifically mention that HIV/AIDS isnt covered.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong
the one problem i see here is that insurance companies will drop someone like a rock if they claim a few prescriptions of AIDS cocktails from the pharmacy...

Hmmm, I had nto thought about that aspect of it. For us in the healthcare field, its an job related exposure, so the employer pays for it.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a friend of mine works for a company making these drugs. He has to wear a rubber suit and go into a vacuum. If you do not have HIV and are exposed to these drugs, you contract it(so he tells me).

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by scorchio123
a friend of mine works for a company making these drugs. He has to wear a rubber suit and go into a vacuum. If you do not have HIV and are exposed to these drugs, you contract it(so he tells me).

Sounds like a great way for the PTB to bring forth their dream of the Project for the New American Century

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Sounds like a great way for the PTB to bring forth their dream of the Project for the New American Century

One question, are the open letters on that website authentic? Those are some high named leader names on most those letters..

Is this website for real? or fiction..

cuz this letter to russia really freaked me out.. www.newamericancentury.org...

[edit on 1/21/2005 by QuietSoul]

top topics

join