It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

world's biggest airship crasch

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   
worlds biggest airship crashes on first flight..

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Technically it's second flight right? Looks like it wasn't as bad as the Hindenburg though.

It's a shame I always look with envy at the airships and dirigibles in alternate realities in sci fi shows.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: ressiv

I think this is a good thing, it shows that in an unfortunate event such as this, the crew and passengers are more likely to survive.

Personally, I'm looking forward to having a trip on one.

Here is the actual story on the BBC News website as opposed to a Youtube video.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Well that was rather anti-climatic and disappointing lol. Glad everyone is ok though.
edit on 24-8-2016 by Tjoran because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Seiko

It could never be as bad as the Hindenburg, that was filled with hydrogen and diesel.

The Airlander is filled with helium which is actually fire retardant. Although the engines run on diesel (I think), it is very unlikely it would go the way of the Hindenburg.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   
is there a good reason to make one those? or just bored rich people?

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I was hoping it was going to explode...

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: ware2010

They have higher lifting capabilities when scaled up than a plane plus they can go and land in areas planes can not.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   
That wasn't a crash silly. That's just how it lands. Nothing to see here

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Iamnotadoctor
I was hoping it was going to explode...

The Hindenburg crash has given the airship industry a bad reputation ever since even though they use helium now.

At any rate, that was more of a bounce than a crash.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Kind of looks more like an uncontrolled landing or pilot error.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   
That's why it's called testing. Work these problems out now. I'd be surprised if he did signification damage to it.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Fix title C r a s h

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: ware2010

HAV launched a campaign to return the Airlander 10 to the skies in May 2015. It claims it could be used for a variety of functions such as surveillance, communications, delivering aid and even passenger travel. It says the huge aircraft will be able to stay airborne for about five days during manned flights.

It is weird though, it's like we're going back in time 100 years

Impressive though that it can do a max speed of 148km/h, I was expecting it would be much much slower than that

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   

It was not its first flight.

"The Airlander experienced a heavy landing and the front of the flight deck has sustained some damage, which is currently being assessed," the company said. "Both pilots and the ground crew are safe and well and the aircraft is secured and stable at its normal mooring location."

Phys.org, World's largest aircraft damaged on 2nd test flight.

Lockheed's Hybrid Airship is also getting approval. These things are filled with helium and will not explode.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: woogleuk
a reply to: Seiko

It could never be as bad as the Hindenburg, that was filled with hydrogen and diesel.

Fire and diesel what could go wrong........o yeah that. ......

Our grandparents sure did stupid arse things.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Not to mention the external paint that was flammable as hell.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

There are 3 of them coming out soon. Lockheed's, the one that crashed, and one from France nicknamed The Whale. The Whale runs on electricity (graphene supercapacitors). Not sure about Lockheed's version.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

If I was the designer of the "whale" I'd stick solar panels on the top of the ship if it runs off electricity to make it more economical to run

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

I forget which one (maybe all??) can stay aloft for days (5 days IIRC). The supercapacitors charge in minutes. It would be easier to swap them out than charging them via solar. Solar might be a good idea for backup though!

The Whale has various bladders for helium and it is all recycled as much as possible. Lockheed has robotic hole finders called "spiders". Check the aircraft project for a video I just posted from CNET showing them--it is pretty cool. With helium prices at a high and the Tanzania find not developed, they need to be careful about their helium usage.

Now if there was only a method of creating helium.... (*puts on fusion fanboy sunglasses*)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join