It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's take a walk on Mars

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

Martian winds also uncover fractured bedrock. This 'rock' is fractured not eroded.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 02:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Martian winds also uncover fractured bedrock. This 'rock' is fractured not eroded.

I'd like to know where you're going with this. Are you implying that the facturing of bedrock was also caused by nuclear or thermonuclear explosions? Or that it was only caused by impacts?

Googling "fractured bedrock" or "fractured bedrock + Mars" reveals a handful of natural causes, such as involving ground water.

I think the most reasonable thing to say is that what we see on Mars today has been created and shaped throughout hundreds of millions of years by natural forces such as water, impacts, volcanism, wind, and various types of erosion associated with those. In that respect, Mars has many similarities with Earth, which allows geologists and planetary scientists recognise what they're seeing on Mars and study it in more detail.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Are you implying that the facturing of bedrock was also caused by nuclear or thermonuclear explosions?

Lol, no.

This discussion began you telling me that butte appeared weathered and I that it looked blasted.

Edit: I agree with your other summation, mostly. Mars is entirely different than the Earth as far as extended geologic processes. Near vacuum, low gravity, lack of hydrology have helped to preserve more impact evidence than on earth.

The rovers are purposefully tasked to explore the rims of craters to see the upturned bedrock to better grasp the history of deeper sediments and further back in time, I thought?

The places they are visiting look hammered, to me.

edit on 25-8-2016 by intrptr because: additional

new topics

<< 1   >>

join