It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you strike up a conversation online?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: geezlouise

Thank you. That was extremely useful insight.

a reply to: BASSPLYR

First of all, the original post was about two different forums with vastly different cultures. One of them is this forum. You've made so many assumptions in your analysis of me, it's ridiculous.

A thread like this is therapy for me. As was the thread below.

Friendships/Relationships and Internet Communications

That must be the thread you were referencing earlier. Were's the "butthurt" there? Do you know what butthurt means?

"butthurt means being aggravated, pissed off, or bugged over something completely trivial"
Source

In each of the cases I mentioned in that thread (with the exception of the last one in the original post, I don't know what happened there), the other person didn't think the issue was trivial. Their reactions ranged between seething and quite upset. Concerning the last case I mentioned in the original post, having someone go from enthusiastically contacting me every day to disappearing without an explanation was not a trivial thing.

As to the original post, did I mention anything trivial there? Yes. But, you're only assuming that I was "aggravated, pissed off, or bugged" about the trivial things. I wasn't. I was disappointed.

And, this is a memoir. Unless some extraordinary thing happens, I'm done with striking up conversations with women on a forum like this out of the blue.

Now you see why I start threads like this. This is better therapy than I could get from an excellent therapist...and all for free.

edit on 23-8-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: peppycat
a reply to: Profusion

go outside into the real world...offer your name and see if you recieve a reply....get out of living in the computer is the only advice i can tell you.
example, " hi may sit beside you?" of course the seat is free or there is husband of hers nearby so she wil la nswer " whatever, man.."
then see if she glances your direction or looks at part of you r being like your hands or shoulders...good luck have fun in real life i can give you many tips if you are interested

Thank you!

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

LOL.

I look forward to it, and in the meantime? I ATS stalk you.

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Oh f# it.
In the thread you linked in your last comment, I posted this:

Now... do you think, that there could possibly be something in your personality that is driving all these people away?

Did you end up thinking on those words? Or no?

I will be blunt! You come across as creepy after a while. And it doesn't help that you keep making the exact same thread over and over and over and OVER talking about these problems of yours.

And you're not amazing AwesomeMasonicus creepy. Hell, even I would love to be captured and tortured by Augustus, willingly.

edit on 23 8 2016 by kaelci because: removed my more meaner comment, shh.

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: geezlouise
I ATS stalk you.

Don't we all?

*Ahem!*

I mean...

That's wierd.

(Saved it!)

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: kaelci

lol.

You're cute.

We can get captured together, yea?

*licks chops*

(you're 18+? just making sure.)

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Almost 30 my dear
Could be fun!!

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   

I look forward to it, and in the meantime? I ATS stalk you.

That's as sweet as a Hallmark greeting card as far as I am concerned.

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Wait! augustus is now offering that service?!? I used to have to pay him to do that to me. And i didnt even like it. But it was augustus so i felt sorta honored.
edit on 23-8-2016 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

link   

OH MY GOD YOU ARE SO BEAUTIFULLY YOUTHFUL LOOKING ily.

link   

originally posted by: kaelci

Hell, even I would love to be captured and tortured by Augustus, willingly.

I currently have next Tuesday open, say 12ish?

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
And i didnt even like it.

How do you think I felt? Shave your back next time.

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I call dibs if she doesn't respond within the next 2 minutes.

*starts to get jealous*

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   

What was the subject title of your PMs that were not read?

Anyway, just be natural, be yourself - not everyone gels with everyone, if there's a spark you will both know. Sometimes that spark takes years and years to discover and usually comes when you least expect it.

Your feelings of being disheartened by not having the PM's read is likely something that may manifest itself in your conversations that you actually do have. For example, if you are able to express a degree of lets say, insecurity, here to the ATS community, that same theme may permeate in your other conversations you are having - so in the scheme of trying to strike up conversations it may be beneficial to try avoiding these aspects as best you can until the question is asked of you by the person you are trying to have a conversation with.

The secret of course, is to never take yourself too seriously, we are imperfect creatures, every last one of us.

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   

No one has PM'd me on this site ever. Really, in the 4-5 years I've been posting here.

Well, that's not true--Augustus actually just sent me a PM, but I'm going to play it cool and assume he clicked my avatar on accident.

OP, I feel like I read this thread/ post several times in the last couple weeks. Can I blame you or Mandela?

edit on 23-8-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   

I call dibs if she doesn't respond within the next 2 minutes.

*starts to get jealous*

Uh, I already have you in for the same time already. It's 'group therapy' time.

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
Well, that's not true--Augustus actually just sent me a PM, but I'm going to play it cool and assume he clicked my avatar on accident.

I thought you were Bird.

link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Check your inbox.

link   

originally posted by: kaelci

Almost 30 my dear
Could be fun!!

What!?! why is it whenever i offer to tie up random women on the internet the police end up calling me? Whats wrongvwith meeting at the reservoir?

Augustus please accept me as your apprentice. I have so much i could learn.😯 thats my begging face. Well not THAT one but you already know what that one looks like augustus

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Check your inbox.

No. That's not how you strike up a PM with the NB. Thanks for playing!

edit on 23-8-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join