It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Commisioner in Florida Wants To Eliminate 3-Strikers From Health Plan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
A "proposition" has been made to lower costs of the Hillsborough County Health Care by denying coverage to three time felons. If adopted, all citizens would start with a "clean slate" and crimes would be counted from then on, regardless of criminal history. The idea is yet to be an official proposition as accurate accounting numbers are still being figured.

www.tampatrib.com
TAMPA - As officials look to trim costs for the county's indigent health care program, a Hillsborough County commissioner wants to kick people off the plan if they are convicted of three or more felonies.
"They're continuing to break the law, and they're on our plan,'' Commission Chairman Jim Norman said. "You're knocking granny in the head. She's paying your health care.''

If his idea is adopted, everyone on the plan would start with a clean slate, meaning prior convictions would not count toward the three strikes. But once someone racked up three felonies, the county would consider the person ineligible.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think it's a good idea. Who says criminals should recieve the benefits of a free state when their actions contribute to tighter control,i.e. further inconveniences on the rest of us? Three felonys is a pretty good indication that "you had a chance and blew it." One arguement is that the "3-Strikers" could just visit and recieve care in another county, but that could be remedied by expanding the jurisdiction of the law. If this does get picked up, I wouldn't be surprised to see others follow suit.

[edit on 20-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   
This will not really work. Okay take away thier healthcare. but then when they crash and burn, they end up on MediCal or the Florida equivilent when they go to the emergencty room for soemthing that could have been handled with a bit of prevention.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Despite what anyone has done free healthcare is a fundamental human right. Noone should ever be denied treatment for any reason no matter the crime they have committed.

For instance say someone has been convicted 3 times of a relatively minor offence under that inhumane law they could be condemmed to death if they suffered a serious health problem. Is that right and if you think it is it that makes you no better than the dictators around the world who withhold health treatment to citizen of their country who have difference politcal view to them.

[edit on 21-1-2005 by arnold_vosloo]

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I'm really kind of hung up on this one...
On the one hand, in my mind, you've gotta screw up pretty radically to rack up 3 felonies...that's little more than swiping a candy-bar, and it's hard to justify the toll they take on our medical insurance, and tax system considering not only have they squandered a bajillion of the taxpayer's dollars in court costs, and jailtime...but we'll still continue to spend money on them when they get sick?
But...I also fully see what arnold has to say regarding the concept that every human deserves healthcare. Tough one indeed, but here's an interesting scenario:
What of the 3 strikers that are still in jail, and get sick? Everyone in jail receives medical treatment...according to this bill, would 3 strikers get it to? What if they were sick, about to be released, and decided to behave badly to extend their stay, so that they wouldn't DIE when they got put back on the street because they could receive treatment while they're in jail? Just conversation fodder...

new topics

top topics

join