It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Warming: An Extinction Level Event?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I was just watching CNN, and caught a report that suggested that the dinosaurs, 250 million years ago at the end of the paleozoic(sp?) age, were not wiped out by a massive meteor, but instead were wiped out by global warming instead. The report said that 90 percent of all life on Earth was wiped out due to their being a shortage of oxygen in the atmosphere as well as sulphuric acids poisoning the atmosphere from volcanic eruptions which also heated up the atmosphere...
I was wondering what everyone thinks of this? First, is it plausible that this global warming would kill off most of life on the planet, including life in the oceans? Also, if this is true, then what happened when the Earth WAS struck by that meteor? It wasn't powerful enough to be an Extinction Level Event? Are the devastating effects of meteors being over-estimated? Was this acute global warming, or did it take hundreds of years to eventually kill off the planet? OR, is this all a lie and propaganda scheme from the powers that be, to keep our minds away from thinking about Earth's destruction from oncoming comets and/or meteors? (i.e. the comet we are sending a "probe" to (likely a device to knock it away from the path to earth), or the meteor of September, 2029, which was first reported to be on a colission course with Earth, then the next day NASA said they miscalculated and that it will miss Earth by a long shot).

Anyway, whatya think about global warming being an ELE? Plausible, at least?

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I was reading this article just a moment ago and thinking to post it but you were first

The work, funded by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration's Astrobiology Institute, the National Science Foundation and the National Research Foundation of South Africa, provides a glimpse of what can happen with long-term climate warming, Ward said.

In this case, there is ample evidence that the world got much warmer over a long period because of continuous volcanic eruptions in an area known as the Siberian Traps. As volcanism warmed the planet, large stores of methane gas frozen on the ocean floor might have been released to trigger runaway greenhouse warming, Ward said. But evidence suggests that species began dying out gradually as the planet warmed until conditions reached a critical threshold beyond which most species could not survive.

from Astrobiology Magazine

That is interesting theory - scary one if you think about recent global warming

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I also seem to remember a year or so back, the Pentagon issued a study in which they predicted that global climate change posed a much bigger threat than terrorism or war.
With all the crazy weather patterns and extremes we are seeing worldwide, increased seismic activity levels and now global dimming, what are we to do? Well, not a lot that we can do really is there. Seems to be a natural pattern to it, although maybe all the junk we have pumped into the atmosphere has speeded things along a little.
It may well result in drastic depopulation of the planet. Not all in one go but in time with droughts, storms, earthquakes all chipping away at the numbers.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
I also seem to remember a year or so back, the Pentagon issued a study in which they predicted that global climate change posed a much bigger threat than terrorism or war.
With all the crazy weather patterns and extremes we are seeing worldwide, increased seismic activity levels and now global dimming, what are we to do? Well, not a lot that we can do really is there. Seems to be a natural pattern to it, although maybe all the junk we have pumped into the atmosphere has speeded things along a little.
It may well result in drastic depopulation of the planet. Not all in one go but in time with droughts, storms, earthquakes all chipping away at the numbers.

Yes, I remember that report now that you mention it... Didn't it suggest that England could be covered in ice within 25 years? I don't remember for sure, but it was a fairly drastic article.
Maybe this suggestion that global warming killed off the dinosaurs is the beginning of a climatization agenda to keep the sheople "controlled" from mass panic as these side effects of global warming that you mention slowly pound us into extinction...
Nah...
You all are right though... very scarry...

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by IronDogg
I was wondering what everyone thinks of this? First, is it plausible that this global warming would kill off most of life on the planet, including life in the oceans?

I find any such global theory to be inherently implausible. THe problem with all these ideas is that dinosaurs died out, and so did large sea cruising reptiles, but crocodiles and birds didnt?

Are the devastating effects of meteors being over-estimated?

Well, it hit in the yucatan but was able to start fires in north america and spread iridium all around the globe in a thickish layer. I think what the greenhausers suggest here is that they were already dying.

top topics

join