It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pokemon stampede

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Lol that's mad and all over Pokemon Go.

I see lots of people walking around town looking for these things (one dude walked into a shops double door)lol... Pocket monsters yeah the monster is the app.

Don't get me wrong if people are happy playing it and not hurting themselves getting run over etc then fine they should enjoy it.

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
a reply to: TheAmazingYeti

Case in point.

It isn't just harmless idiots having fun. It's a tool to instantly mobilize relatively autonomous data agents to anywhere they want to see or listen.

I was sitting at my local hole in the wall bar one afternoon, and there were several people in their 30s and forties talking about the Pokemon that was in the bar the day before. The company responsible for the game was spun off of Google just a year or two ago.

Pokemon Go Spying

There are screen caps of the permissions list on the link as well as other good background and the implications.

Who would guessed Big Brother has had such a sense of humor!?

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

Well, I actually saw this on the world news this morning. Which is a whole 'nother sad statement really.

Fair enough
... What a sad world we live in

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Teletubbies is just the latest craze, it could be whatever, the common-denominator is idiots let loose. Remember, half the people out there have a double digit IQ.

crap, I mean Pokemon. Whatever, it's the same junk.

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Do they all get the Snorlax? Or just whoever gets it first?

Haven't played so not sure how the game works. It seems interesting to play, but not sure I'd be very good since I wouldn't run in traffic for a pokemonster

edit on 23-8-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

Do they all get the Snorlax? Or just whoever gets it first?

Haven't played so not sure how the game works. It seems interesting to play, but not sure I'd be very good since I wouldn't run in traffic for a pokemonster

Anyone who gets there during the monster's "spawn time" (which no one knows since apps like pokevision were disabled) gets a chance to catch it. The monsters stats will be randomly generated for each person, so some will get a monster with great stats and others, not so much. Luck of the draw.

Unless you're right on top of the spot, there's usually not much sense trying to respond to someone else's "spot" of a pokemon, since spawn times are usually relatively short (5 to 10 minutes). So I am guessing what we have in the picture is a very densely populated area with a super high concentration of players and a sighting within a 5 minute walk.

You definitely do not need to walk in traffic (or break any laws or otherwise act like a fool) to play the game.

I generally just walk around my neighborhood or local park.
edit on 23-8-2016 by Greggers because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Greggers

Doesn't that incentivize losers, and disincentivize winners? If I have high skill, I will not waste time on a game of luck. If I have little skill, I would like to elevate my self esteem believing I am special for investing more time and therfore getting more chances to get lucky.

The only winners in this game are the creators.
edit on 23-8-2016 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
a reply to: Greggers

Doesn't that incentivize losers, and disincentivize winners? If I have high skill, I will not waste time on a game of luck. If I have little skill, I would like to elevate my self esteem believing I am special for investing more time and therfore getting more chances to get lucky.

The only winners in this game are the creators.

RPGs always involve grinding, and the more you grind, the more likely you are to get good gear (in this case, good pokemon), plus, as in all RPGs, the more you grind, the more exp you get, which also gets parlayed into better stats, gear, etc.

The draw to RPGs isn't "lack of skill." I used to be pretty great at shooters, but I always preferred RPGs because of sense of immersion, and also because many of them required the ability to quickly parse through lots of data and make complicated decisions -- something I enjoy.

Actual skill enters the game in two areas: battling and catching.

Catching: Higher stat monsters will be harder to catch. Good luck catching it if you can't hang a curvball, or if you don't have the right gear (like an ultra ball) on hand. The monsters can and do run away. And the monster's "distance away" and target window can make a big difference in how accurate you have to be, with better monsters being more difficult.

Battling: The skill comes in knowing the "type" match-ups. There are like 16 different types and the match-ups make all the difference, like the world's most complicated game of rock, paper scissors. And you can swap pokemon in and out during battle -- knowing what to swap is key. And knowing what monsters to spend your experience on (in the form of stardust) is also key. Each pokemon can have one or two TYPES, and each of its attacks can have a TYPE, and being able to figure the attack and defense bonuses on the fly makes the game surprisingly deep.

The problem is that right now, the deck is stacked so in favor of the challenger in gym battles that skill isn't really that important, plus there is very little incentive for holding a gym longer than a few minutes. These are things I hope Niantic fixes.

I'd also like the ability to battle friends outside of gyms (it's supposed to be coming) because then skill really does become very important. If you start the battle with a water type, I'll come at you with electricity. Then you swap out to ground, and I have to know to switch to water. Then you switch to your CP2500 Dragonite and start spamming me with standard damage while you take only half damage from me, and I have to swap out to my CP2000 Lapras which has the same advantage in reverse.

I must admit, I didn't know anything about Pokemon until this game came out. Now I understand why this game has lasted so long. There's a lot of strategy involved. Hopefully Niantic does more to maximize the need for strategy.

Right now, I feel like there is a shell here that could make strategy the single most important element of the game, but it's not being used to its fullest potential.

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greggers

RPGs always involve grinding, and the more you grind, the more likely you are to get good gear (in this case, good pokemon), plus, as in all RPGs, the more you grind, the more exp you get, which also gets parlayed into better stats, gear, etc.

See this too. I mean seriously, people pay for other's grind or cheating script. It's been done since WOW or perhaps way before. Now you've got people creating games specifically meant for cheaters, or ... payers... who pay their way into high positions.

I think actual strategy in most games is long dead. It's the same type of gameplay, the same kind of strategy, very little to anything is new in the last 15-20 years of game play. It's very, very boring for me. Hopefully AR/VR will change the game a bit in the coming years.

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   

See this too. I mean seriously, people pay for other's grind or cheating script. It's been done since WOW or perhaps way before. Now you've got people creating games specifically meant for cheaters, or ... payers... who pay their way into high positions.

I think actual strategy in most games is long dead. It's the same type of gameplay, the same kind of strategy, very little to anything is new in the last 15-20 years of game play. It's very, very boring for me. Hopefully AR/VR will change the game a bit in the coming years.

One cool thing about this particular game is that you only play with people in your local area, so you don't get swamped by cheaters. On a purely online game, it seems like the cheating is so rampant there's no way to even play the game without either cheating or spending all your time curled up in fetal position.

A lot of the kids doing gym battles at my local park have very reasonably spec'd monsters. They don't seem like cheats at all. I know the cheaters are out there, but they've not hindered my experience.

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   

caught mine two nights ago at level 1627

not bad

I love the game obviously, but I do admit I wish people would be careful

But to be fair as well, plenty of people were extremely dangerous with texting and driving while texting way bfore PGo came out

So I feel like the targeted complaints are 50% issues of danger and 50% people who need to get over a game they don't even play

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

One cool thing about this particular game is that you only play with people in your local area, so you don't get swamped by cheaters. On a purely online game, it seems like the cheating is so rampant there's no way to even play the game without either cheating or spending all your time curled up in fetal position.

Oh that is a good thing, I didn't realize it was local. If your pool is smaller, and closer, then people are less likely to cheat.

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Oh that is a good thing, I didn't realize it was local. If your pool is smaller, and closer, then people are less likely to cheat.

Yeah, you literally have to be standing within 50 feet of someone to battle them at a gym.

One time I took down a gym, and before I could claim it, someone had dropped a freakin' MagiCarp on top of it. I was like, "Hey, who's camping on this gym?"

The guy sitting at the picnic table behind me said, "Sorry. My bad. I just like to drop that dumb fish on there because then more people will want to fight."

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join