It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Safe School program gays lesbians transgenders bullied

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

I thought that that is what the entire Civil Rights movement was about? Anti-segregation.

This just seems a re-statement of "separate, but equal", which was seldom the case.

This seems to me to be a step backwards, not forward. ...and this from someone who himself was bullied for being "different".

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Its really not the same.

It's not? I was bullied because I was different. I was, because of my speech impediment due to a cleft pallet, deemed "retard", in spite of the fact I'm anything but. "retard" "hairlip" etc... But that's not as bad as being bullied because of orientation, or gender issues? Really? The pain seems remarkably similar.

Oh, and where the hell were the teacher when I was being bullied, and others?? Blind eye seems much the same.

Tell me again, how it's not the same.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Its really not the same.

It's not? I was bullied because I was different. I was, because of my speech impediment due to a cleft pallet, deemed "retard", in spite of the fact I'm anything but. "retard" "hairlip" etc... But that's not as bad as being bullied because of orientation, or gender issues? Really? The pain seems remarkably similar.

Oh, and where the hell were the teacher when I was being bullied, and others?? Blind eye seems much the same.

Tell me again, how it's not the same.

I repeat. It is not the same.

Did the Governor of your state take the bullies side against you?

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Gov. Dan Evans, later Senator, didn't care enough to take sides. So which is worse? Ask a ten year old boy if he give a flyin' whatever what the damned gov. says. All he knows is that school has turned to Hell, and no one seems to care, at all.

I've got the scars and bad memories that are only too clear to prove that pain is pain irregardless of the reason behind it.

(((deep breath)))

Segregation isn't the answer. Running away only postpones the inevitable confrontation. If not with those particular bullies, there will be others who will step up when they sense a victim. That's how bullies operate, and you know that as well as I.

What needs doing is parents/guardians, concerned citizens, need to get together with school boards, and in no uncertain terms express to them the need for teachers and administrators to deal harshly with the problem. If they don't, they don't have jobs. The bullies need to be gone. Period. Kicked out, either permanently, or for a period of time for lessons to be learned.

By lessons learned, I mean brought before clinicians who will explain to them the ramifications of further behaviour of this sort, and who will point out proper behaviour. Punishment. Not time outs. Not "boys will be boys"--I lost count of the number of times I heard that line... No mercy...they are gone. Clean out your locker, turn in your books, football gear...what ever. Gone.

...and college? Forget it.

I despise bullies. ...and in schools the only ones capable of handling it are the supposed adults, and it's past time they started doing so.

edit on 8/24/2016 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Gov. Dan Evans, later Senator, didn't care enough to take sides. So which is worse? Ask a ten year old boy if he give a flyin' whatever what the damned gov. says. All he knows is that school has turned to Hell, and no one seems to care, at all.

I'm sorry that you can't understand the difference between your being bullied and LGBT kids. I can.

You think you're the only kid who was bullied? ALL of us were bullied in the years before schools took action against it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Do you have a whole belief system that thinks you're an abomination and its your choice?

Do you have whole states creating laws against you? Again, because you're an abomination.

Did your parents throw you out in the street because you had a cleft pallet?

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 08:12 PM
link   

ANY type of bullying is bad.

Any.

ANY.

Can you get that through your head?

Sitting there going "Well this type of bullying is worse than that type" is one of the most IGNORANT statements I have every seen as a parent of 6 kids and a grandfather.

I don't care if a kid is part of the LGBT group or not: every child should be able to attend schools and be able to learn in peace.

Period!

If you insist on sitting there and trying to say that one type of bullying is worse than the other, when in fact ALL, bullying of ANY type is bad and needs to be eradicated........then you are part of the problem.

Not the solution.

No child, regardless of their race, culture, sex, sexual orientation, sexual preference, religion, etc, etc, should EVER have to put up with being bullied.

Any kind of bullying should ALWAYS be addressed and taken care of.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

ANY type of bullying is bad.

Any.

And who said its not?

But, yeah, go right ahead and ignore the statistics.

If you insist on sitting there and trying to say that one type of bullying is worse than the other, when in fact ALL, bullying of ANY type is bad and needs to be eradicated........then you are part of the problem.

edit on 24-8-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

I'm sorry that you can't understand the difference between your being bullied and LGBT kids. I can.

You think you're the only kid who was bullied? ALL of us were bullied in the years before schools took action against it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Do you have a whole belief system that thinks you're an abomination and its your choice?

Do you have whole states creating laws against you? Again, because you're an abomination.

Did your parents throw you out in the street because you had a cleft pallet?

One minute gays/trans people are equal, the next they're not.. Make your mind up.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   

I don't need statistics to tell me that:

1) Bullying is a problem in our schools, no mater the school, no mater who is getting bullied.

2) That it does not mater who is getting bullied, it's WRONG for ANYONE to get bullied.

Doing this whole "one up manship" of who gets bullied worst is not helping solve the problem of kids getting bullied

The ONLY side that anyone should be on in this mater is:

To eradicate ANY AND ALL bullying.

Period.

A girl who is a lesbian getting bullied is just as bad as a kid with a stutter that is getting bullied.

A boy that is gay getting bullied is just as bad as a kid who is being bullied for wearing glasses.

I don't need statistics of any kind to tell me that. Because:

If even ONE person in the entire world of 7 billion is being bullied, IT IS A PROBLEM.

Anyone should feel bad and outraged at it.

Statistics do not mean jack. ALL of the bullying needs to stop.

If you can't understand that, or if you insist on the whole "well these people are being bullied more than others" crap, then I can't help you.

All bullying should be addressed equally, and needs to be removed completely.

edit on 8/24/2016 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   

...I'm sorry that you can't understand the difference between your being bullied and LGBT kids. I can...

Annee, you are about the only person I've seen in this thread that gets it. I was going to ask if ANY of the commenters in this thread have ever been bullied for being LGBT but clearly that's not necessarily a requirement for understanding the situation. Why is it so hard for others to see how this is different?

It is true that bullying is bullying regardless of the reason if there even is one but sexual orientation and gender identity/expression are different than being bullied for anything else. 40% and up to 50% of homeless youth are LGBT depending on what study you read. Even with a conservative estimate, that's 320,000 to 400,000 LGBT youth that face homelessness each year.

Some things to consider:

• 62%: The portion of homeless gay and transgender youth who experience discrimination from their families.
  • 86%: The portion of gay and lesbian students who reported being verbally harassed at school due to their sexual orientation.
  • 31%: The portion of gay and transgender students who report incidents of harassment and violence at school to staff only to receive no response.
  • 44%: The portion of gay and transgender students who report being physically harassed in school.
  • 22%: The portion of gay and transgender students who reported having been physically attacked in school. Sixty percent say they did not report the incidents because they believed no one would care.

LGBT kids are two times less likely to finish high school or pursue a college education. Let's not even talk about the rates of LGBT suicide and self harm.

Now what were you all saying about being bullied in school? Does it compare?

I was nearly killed by bullies because of my gender so maybe I'm less than objective but maybe I have some particular insight into this problem and maybe you should listen to someone that's been there?

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   
When a system or program is not working ,those who care MUST break the rules in order to succeed or the idea will screw over those kids.
How strange it is when little Larry can bully with immunity because all he will get is a talking to.
IT didn't work THEN ,and it still ISN'T.

We all KNOW how to stop Larry...violence,THAT'S RIGHT I SAID it snowflakes...sometimes little Larry needs to be knocked down with a black eye so nominal social male bonding can take place.
Maybe NOT if Larry's DAD is a walking rifle target,THAT is another issue.
DON'T TELL the Progs, they are busy raising their SJWs to surrender when they are adults to their overlord Oligarchs.
Violence is NOT possible without being karmically destroyed to them,and it has superseded their minds passed logic.
edit on 24-8-2016 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freija

...I'm sorry that you can't understand the difference between your being bullied and LGBT kids. I can...

Annee, you are about the only person I've seen in this thread that gets it. I was going to ask if ANY of the commenters in this thread have ever been bullied for being LGBT but clearly that's not necessarily a requirement for understanding the situation. Why is it so hard for others to see how this is different?

I don't know. Other than, I see beyond myself.

Fortunately, many others do too - - because no minority gets equality on their own. They need our help.

There just aren't very many of those "others" on ATS.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

Doing this whole "one up manship" of who gets bullied worst is not helping solve the problem of kids getting bullied

The ONLY side that anyone should be on in this mater is:

To eradicate ANY AND ALL bullying.

Period.

The arguments in this thread just keep getting more and more adolescent.

Look, the general argument style is to point out double standards.

None of you have doe that here. It's impossible for me to believe that this is a natural thing.

Saying that a lot of kids get bullied does not refute the point of education on gay people in schools.

If anything it makes a point that we need more of the similar in different areas as well.

This is not a double standard.

You people are showing some real bias here.

The arguments against this are 95% anecdotal and 95% loosely related at best, and none that I've seen has been an actual argument against it.
edit on 24-8-2016 by DeadFoot because: (no reason given)

(post by DeadFoot removed for a manners violation)

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 01:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I got all kinds of bullied, but I guess it doesn't matter because I wasn't gay and as we all know today they're the only ones who ever faced bullying in school.

Did teachers, administrators, and parents also bully you?

That is a real problem with LGBT youth.

Those of authority who are supposed to protect, are often the ones doing or turning a blind eye.

Its really not the same.

I don't know about the member you replied to. But I did get bullied by my teacher, who also encouraged the other students to bully me as well. I'm not gay or trans, so that does not count in your eyes.

In your eyes, only trans and gay people can be bullied

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 01:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: pompel9

originally posted by: ketsuko

I got all kinds of bullied, but I guess it doesn't matter because I wasn't gay and as we all know today they're the only ones who ever faced bullying in school.

Did teachers, administrators, and parents also bully you?

That is a real problem with LGBT youth.

Those of authority who are supposed to protect, are often the ones doing or turning a blind eye.

Its really not the same.

I don't know about the member you replied to. But I did get bullied by my teacher, who also encouraged the other students to bully me as well. I'm not gay or trans, so that does not count in your eyes.

How many times would you like me to state the Safe Schools in America are open to ALL students.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 01:33 AM
link   
We all know that it is the Christians who bully the LGBT people.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 02:04 AM
link   
How many times would you like me to state the Safe Schools in America are open to ALL students.

The quote functions stopped working, sorry about that. Sentence at the top is the quote.
I am not from America. Bullying is not an American phenomenon, it's worldwide. In my country there are no such things as safe schools. And there shouldn't be. The bullies needs to be stopped, no matter who is bullied. I was bullied by a teacher (and the rest ignored it) and students, in your eyes that does not matter since I am neither gay or trans. As long as your not gay or trans, then you do not matter according to you.

You removed part of my post in your reply, that is dishonest. Even though the quote function stopped working, I did not remove anything from your post.

And the content of this topic is from Australia, not America. If you you are going to nitpick.
edit on 25-8-2016 by pompel9 because: Added information

edit on 25-8-2016 by pompel9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 02:06 AM
link   
wrong post, was going to edit my former post.
edit on 25-8-2016 by pompel9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 02:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: pompel9

I am not from America. Bullying is not an American phenomenon, it's worldwide.

OK, I can only speak for America. I expect it is far worse other places.

In my country there are no such things as safe schools. And there shouldn't be. The bullies needs to be stopped, no matter who is bullied. I was bullied by a teacher (and the rest ignored it) and students, . . .

Yes, I have mentioned bullying by adults and those in authority.

As long as your not gay or trans, then you do not matter according to you.

I am not responsible for your interpretation.

You removed part of my post in your reply, that is dishonest. Even though the quote function stopped working, I did not remove anything from your post.

I don't find it necessary to respond to every variable of the subject.

And the content of this topic is from Australia, not America. If you you are going to nitpick.

I am aware it is Australia.

However, it is about Safe School programs. Which we also have in America.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join