It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The paradox of religion & atheism

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: LittleByLittle

It works perfectly when you follow the data.

It works very badly when you create faith dogma and do not follow the data like materialism. In those cases you have very little progress since the scientist are convinced they are right and they do not push the frontier of understanding forward.

Plato said this thing about a man in a cave, how he got out and saw the world and then went back in to tell those still chained

All I see LbyL is faith dogma coming from you, it's just disguised because you use the word science frequently
when you say "science will discover", is that a prophecy or a statement of belief, a faith in your chosen field of belief
You can't say it "Will" discover anything without faith, you can't know
I can't follow data that does not exist, you are talking like a man in a cave
edit on 24-8-2016 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

The allegory is irrelevant, the attitude of "I am smarter than you" was what I was interested in
Thanks anyway

So - you don't care what LittleByLittle MEANT, or what the actual benign phrase "Plato's cave" refers to......

............you just glom onto some random syllabytes and construct what you want to out of the results you choose?

Wow. So much
you really aren't interested in learning anything more than you think you know..... Right?

Yes. Right.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

The allegory is irrelevant, the attitude of "I am smarter than you" was what I was interested in
Thanks anyway

So - you don't care what LittleByLittle MEANT, or what the actual benign phrase "Plato's cave" refers to......

............you just glom onto some random syllabytes and construct what you want to out of the results you choose?

Wow. So much
you really aren't interested in learning anything more than you think you know..... Right?

Yes. Right.

I am not interested buzz, please believe what you want.
Your and LbL' s minds are made up.
Us religious folk are cave dweller's and deserve nothing but your respective contempt

Considering the OPs initial post, it seems fitting that you two arrived and acted the way you have, proves the OP was and is and always will be fighting an MMA battle against fundamentalism.

If I want to learn divisiveness and arrogance I will read a book, thanks.

Thought the Mormons and JWs were bad, getting buzzed by a pseudo preacher like you is worse, please find some one else to bother

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 04:05 AM
link   

We might not agree and share the same view but you have an amazing potential. I hope you have a nice ride.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Choice one, the comment was neutral, LbL was suggesting we are equals
Choice 2 The allegory was used to say that religious people are smarter
Or
Choice 3
Religious people are dumber

The allegory is irrelevant to my point, LbLs attitude of "I am smarter than you" was what I was interested in
Thanks anyway

NOPE! You got it wrong AGAIN!!!

The comment was a reference to ancient philosophy that you would be aware of if you'd taken any courses in Western Civilization!

What you are doing now is silly. It's no different than the "the sages all touch one part of an elephant".....
or any other 'deep thought' experiment.

It's not an insult! It has nothing at all to do with you or your brain or how smart you are!!! It has to do with the limited awareness that our senses provide us ---- it has to do with believing that what you see is ALL THERE IS......

we all know that dogs hear whistles that are beyond our hearing....bees see colors that we do not.....
horses smell things that we can-not --

cats and whales and dolphins and elephants and EVERY SPECIE besides us has sensory capabilities that we do not.

Not you, not I, not LbL, not the Dalai Lama ------

NONE OF US are able to truly understand reality. Why can you not accept that? Why can you not acknowledge that you are only one specimen of one mammal of the many species on this planet --- and that you do not know everything, or see, or smell, or hear, or feel everything???

Because - you don't.

And that's okay. Just, believe what you want to...whatever it takes for you to keep yourself under control.

There's no rush. You have eternity to sort it out.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

pathetic. such a waste of a mind, and a conversation.

whatever.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   

If I want to learn divisiveness and arrogance I will read a book, thanks.

You've already done that, dear.

It's known as "The Bible."

But - okay - have it your way.

posted on Aug, 25 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   
notice how you have three posts all telling, demanding, dictating at me.
I think self reflection is needed in your case

I will have it my way, thank you.

In my best mean girls impersonation,
What-ever...

edit on 25-8-2016 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join