It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

could aliens live anywhere?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I have never understood why people tend to think that aliens or intelligent life needs air or water to survive? I always thought of them as different beings than us and have the possibility of living anywhere becuase they might not have the same needs as us like water and air. We might think that neptune or pluto are too cold for intelligent life to exist ,but it might be the perfect conditions for some sort of life. I'm not saying is that there is life there but there is possibility. In the movie signs didn't the aliens skin burn when water fell on it. Maybe the aliens drink lava like water is for us. I say there's possibilty of life in every corner. Maybe the aliens are intrigued that we could live in these conditions and thats why they are visiting us?

Just another cazy theory on ATS?

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   
i have the exact same view as you since becuz their 'alien' then us that means there diff. with different livig standereds maybe they need minerals from rocks to survive or they breath carbon dioxide

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   
im with you on this, also been thinking about this whole carbon based life form stuff. could they be based on somthing else, something we dont have?

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Aliens can no more survive in every environment than a human can, however, they would most likely be able to survive in specific environments that we cannot.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Its very possible, I've always thought about why everyone assumes aliens are so similiar to us, There are three elements on Earth that life can be based on Carbon, Silicon, Boron (Very similiar to silicon).

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 12:45 AM
link   
The idea that aliens would need oxygen is to do with chenistry. humans need oxygen to create energy you can think of it as a slow version of combustion. When ever something burns it requires oxygen just the same and produces carbon dioxide (or carbon mon-oxide if their isn't enough oxygen) if you tried to burn something in an environment with no oxygen then it wouldn't work.
Even plants and bacteria which create energy from photosynthesis and produce the oxygen we breathe need oxygen for the reaction to work.
Since many different species exist in our environment if it were possible it is likely that some would evolve to not need oxygen and use some other substance thats available in our environment.
I still think it might be possible to have life somewhere in the universe which dosen't require oxygen but it isn't that likely.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Is there anywhere you can go on Earth and NOT find life? Well, those are the likely answers... In a lava pool perhaps, but that's about it... Everywhere else you'll see life. I'd say that makes the case for life in alien conditions more of a given, than anything else...

My bet is that the Universe is teeming with life. Maybe not so much on surface life, but at the bacterial level, and primitive organism level, my money's on it being almost everywhere....

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Maybe this is true. Maybe not.

The fact is that we can eassily judge using ourselves as an example. I mean we no life can live in the conditions we live in so why not start there?

I awlso think it is unlikely that life lives on Pluto because i expect we would have heard radio signals by now. Unless they are not an intelligent life form.

But of course we also meassure intelligence against ourselves.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I think we measure intelligence (or sentience) more by animals, than ourselves.... To recognize an alien organism as "intelligent", we'd look for the use of fashioned tools (this differs from a chimp using a found stick to pull out ants) and their ability to reshape their environment for their needs.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 07:26 PM
link   
going on this radio signals thing im still believing that any higher inteligence has moved on in tech from radio signals, and if they are on pluto and this tech is centurys out of date (our time) then theres nothing we can pick up on.
back to main subject at hand is there any reason why et cant use photosynthesis as a way to survive, the only things we know that do this are plants! or is this a slow way of producing the energy needed to form an inteligent living being such as ourselves ?

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Is there anywhere you can go on Earth and NOT find life? Well, those are the likely answers... In a lava pool perhaps, but that's about it... Everywhere else you'll see life. I'd say that makes the case for life in alien conditions more of a given, than anything else...

who said there WASNt any life in lava pools?

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I think what Gazork is saying is: "please define life."

If I am incorrect with your Assessment I apologize GaZork.

Human life? which will give a very very good debate.

Life with spirtually aspects?

Life just existing. (ex. single cell organism)

We have found out here on earth that many organism exists where you and I not can.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by madmartinez
back to main subject at hand is there any reason why et cant use photosynthesis as a way to survive, the only things we know that do this are plants! or is this a slow way of producing the energy needed to form an inteligent living being such as ourselves ?

There are also some bacteria which use photosynthesis.
I could be wrong but I can't imagine a being as advanced as us using photosynthesis. Plants have very low protein thats why cows graze all day we as meet eaters have a better source of protein and so were able to develop more.
I think on any planet the eco system is always going to be pretty similar, it will have a food chain, this has even been observed in bacteria.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 11:24 PM
link   
they're probably everywhere...perhaps even some politicians are really aliens or alien clones of some sort....

I read somewhere about a person going on a job interview in a large city, I think it was new york, and upon arriving at the place it seemed the interviewers were a little strange in a MIB sort of way...after the interview the person seemed to have an episode of missing time or something....the day after the experience he returned to the office where he went on the interview only to find it empty as if the company had moved....

People also seem to see greys entering and leaving through their closets sometimes...maybe they live in your closet...

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   
[Quote]they're probably everywhere...perhaps even some politicians are really aliens or alien clones of some sort....[Qoute]

Bush may be one.....

I think clearly that even the name "alien" defines where they may live. About everywhere.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
One more thing how do you qoute here? What a question.......

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Powerplant

See that light blue button at the upper right hand corner of posts? The one that says "quote"?

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

See that light blue button at the upper right hand corner of posts? The one that says "quote"?

Thanks mate.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Thanks mate.

You're welcome.

As you can see, you can also remove a quote inside a quote so you are answering a specific point. Also if you have a bunch of quote all together, you're bound to get a "big quote" warning.

top topics

join