It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Carolina police kill unarmed deaf man using sign language

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold

Looks like there is bodycam footage as well as dashcam. Hopefully it gets released soon.

My initial reactions are that Daniel Harris doesn't look like a physically intimidating sort and he was by all accounts unarmed.

With the lack of even a witness interview at this point all there is to do is speculate. Has anyone mapped this yet to see how far this "chase" as they keep calling it was from the highway where he was alleged to have been speeding?

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   
As another member pointed out when the cops ran this guys plate all info would have been available to them as well as his disability....looks like incompetence coupled with itchy trigger fingers.....It is time cops had their mental health evaluated on a regular basis.....what a tragic story

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Found the address on the crowdfunding page for his memorial posted by a person purporting to be the owner of the home the family rents in what looks to be a nice middle class neighborhood. Appears to be about 2.8 miles from the Rocky Road exit on 485 to the family's home.

full size image
edit on 2016-8-22 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   
As I stated in the thread where police trashed an entire building because someone who *may* have committed a non violent crime *may* have been in the building....

Why the hell did the officer even draw a weapon, here?

There's something wrong with the mentality of those we pay to 'serve' and 'protect' - and there needs to be a strict punishment for those who can't use basic logic when enforcing life or death situations.
Every single officer who executes someone who isn't a threat should lose their job, at the very least.

As a citizen, if I decided to make a citizens arrest of someone over such a trivial non violent misdemeanor such as speeding and wound up executing the person, I'd not only be considered mentally unfit to live in society- I'd probably be put to death... or worse, life in prison.
Those getting paid to make these decisions should be held to a higher standard- not a lesser one.

People make mistakes- even officers. I get it. Tazing the poor deaf guy would have been a mistake. Executing him isn't excusable.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

How could a deaf mute not holding a weapon cause a police officer to fear for his life??? Really, isn't this when not to use lethal force police training 101?

Finger guns: as terrifying as they are deadly.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: imsoconfused
a reply to: dreamingawake

Also, If you run, reach in the back seat when asked to, talk back or keep driving you deserve to die.

You win.. Dumbest thing I read all week.

How do you follow that gem? In the running for the yearly dumb ass award.

That's just repeated commentary from similar incidents of those shared in news. Also, no I don't agree with that but it's a going thing that people rant about to justify corruption. Sick isn't it?
edit on 22-8-2016 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Is that second video you posted honestly how things went down?

My eyes are swelling up for the guy and his family as I type this. What I saw was a coldest of cold blood murder in that clip.

I want to believe the officers had a right to shoot the man. However, I do not see it.
Is there a second angle? Anything that shows that maybe this act was justified?

I have more to say, but my brain is emotionally effed right now, to the point I cannot articulate.

Is this real life? That really happened?

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   

I want all sorts of backlash against police to happen nationally and for it to happen expeditiously.

Dont care anymore. Its a new world right?

Ok.

We should get with the program and become a new type of populace.

A not so civilized people who are not peacful and respecting of law and order. None of our leaders and enforcers are.

Brave new world....for all.

Time we accept it. They are right. We can no longer be our grand parents type of populace.

We should show our leaders and enforcers who they have made us into. They must be thrilled to have transformed us.

The "good" is not good enough anymore. This is unacceptable.

I hope they get their way and that we are fundamentally changed.

edit on 8 23 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 02:31 AM
link   

This man also got shot dead for being deaf.

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   
My first thought listening is that didn't take long. 4 seconds, command to shots.

edit:

Link to info on Williams shooting.

Officer was found to have acted improperly. Left the Seattle dept. No charges. City pays out 1.5 million. I suppose he is at another PD now.

1.5 million was too little. The city doesn't even feel it.

edit on 8/23/2016 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   
There approach to the dead guy is pure comedy.

I think they should work on the "before I shoot" techniques.

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: seaswine
a reply to: smurfy

Is that second video you posted honestly how things went down?

My eyes are swelling up for the guy and his family as I type this. What I saw was a coldest of cold blood murder in that clip.

I want to believe the officers had a right to shoot the man. However, I do not see it.
Is there a second angle? Anything that shows that maybe this act was justified?

I have more to say, but my brain is emotionally effed right now, to the point I cannot articulate.

Is this real life? That really happened?

Yes it did, and remember that is mainstream news version, somewhat sanitized there are longer versions with audio on youtube. You can hear one policeman say, "We had to shoot him" to his superior, I don't know if that was to someone present or on the radio.
That department had been to the house before, I don't mean those actual police necessarily, but they did know that the man had mental problems.
And yes, it is gut wrenching in what they did, I have four boys...men now, and three of them have fragile-X syndrome, and can be agressive at times, but it's not their fault, and I can tell you I weeped when I saw that video, and even now 9/10ths of me wants to smash those men in the face, take their stupid guns and shove them down the drain. Police? they are that in name only, and their ignorance is appalling.

Just to add, the slimy bastards got away with it on the very basis that the dead man lunged at them...which he didn't, he had barely two steps from the front door.
edit on 23-8-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Read this earlier and I was like 'woooo... wtf'.

Even when the guy got out of his car... was there a need to shoot? Unbelievable.

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel
If the driver was deaf it would have been on his drivers license. The cop should have called in his plates for wants/warrants if he was in pursuit when the driver failed to stop. That information would have been on his computer unless it was someone else's car.

I am not completely deaf but I have severe hearing loss with hearing aids. It is not listed on my Texas drivers license.

I do agree with putting a symbol or some sort different color on license plates to identify the driver is impaired. It's a great idea.

When I drive I am always aware of my surroundings and have always pulled over for emergency vehicles without problem. But I do worry about being pulled over by a cop and not being able to hear him properly.

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   
he got protected and served.

whos protecting us from the gang in blue... high priced lawyers, too bad posthumous
edit on 23-8-2016 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Terrible story.

Being deaf doesn't mean you can ignore police and sirens.

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   

It's sad, but I'm not even remotely surprised. Hell, in small town KS they just shot an autistic man.
Link to story

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Kinda hard for a deaf person to hear sirens.

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Cops need to be held accountable just like any one of us. We can't just slap them on the hands if wrong doing was found. There is no reason why this man should have been shot let alone killed.

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Poor guy, r.i.p and god bless.

Hope the bacon flavored bastards responsible are held to account but chances are they never will be. Fact is they are a law unto themselves and do nothing more than dish out there own particular brand of what they consider to be justice.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join