It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Carolina police kill unarmed deaf man using sign language

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I didn't see this posted, and I thought it sad, and of interest.

www.nydailynews.com...

This is as bad as it gets.

A North Carolina state trooper shot and killed 29-year-old Daniel Harris — who was not only unarmed, but deaf — just feet from his home, over a speeding violation. According to early reports from neighbors who witnessed the shooting this past Thursday night, Harris was shot and killed "almost immediately" after exiting his vehicle.

He appeared to be trying to communicate with the officer via sign language.

Police say they tried to pull him over for speeding. Obviously Harris couldn't hear the police, but could he see the sirens in his rear mirror?

Police claim they attempted to pull Harris over for speeding, but he continued driving home instead of pulling over. Whether Harris fully understood what was happening, since he could not have heard the sirens, is unclear. His family, including his siblings, are also hearing impaired and could often be seen communicating with each other via sign language in the neighborhood.

There is a slightly less sensational version of the story here.

Of interest is this statement by the neighbour

They should've de-escalated and been trained to realize that this is an entirely different situation," neighbor Mark Barringer said. "You're pulling someone over who is deaf, they are handicapped. To me, what happened is totally unacceptable."

I'm unaware of police protocol in situations like this one, which seems unfortunate , and likely another indictment of an already seemingly overzealous police force.

CBS News report.

edit on 22-8-2016 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-8-2016 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I'm not even going to go into my usual anti cop rhetoric.

This is too sad to even begin to describe how I feel.

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I can remember times when no one would even have thought this could happen. Now it's no longer even surprising.

And people are worried because average citizens have firearms...

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold

Even Dirty Harry Callahan wouldn't approve.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Now this is something to get in the streets about. This is uncalled for, completely, no excuses whatsoever. There is nothing short of the man getting out of the car waving a gun while signing that could excuse this and if thats the case I want video. SMH enough is enough..

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I don't doubt the police will find a way to justify this shooting. Sad on sad.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Seems to me that a deaf driver should have a special plates or some other identifier for police and EMTs.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   
So failure to pull over immediately is a death sentence now?I won't even into the poor guys disability.Tragic.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Wow I read the title and said how the hell did they kill him using sign language? Point their finger and say bam.

But of course they killed him using a gun probably for signing Im sry I didnt hear you.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Sorry...I read the tile of the post incorrectly. I couldn't figure out how you kill someone with sign language.

A shame anyway.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Of course it's uncalled for, there's not much use about talking about police protocol because there isn't one about shootings. And if anyone is surprised, about what happened, I'm surprised that they are surprised, the same thing gets played out time and time again. You could ask did people who lived in caves live like this.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I have two words for the officers who shot this man and any cop that makes excuses for them: FILTHY SWINE.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   
If the driver was deaf it would have been on his drivers license. The cop should have called in his plates for wants/warrants if he was in pursuit when the driver failed to stop. That information would have been on his computer unless it was someone else's car.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   

I'm sick to my stomach

This is such a tragedy.. and the scary thing is we are getting de-sensitized everytime something like this happens - couple that with the higher frequency of incidents occurring (or higher frequency of just the reports, either way) and you've got a full-blown Agenda being laid out.

Us "unlawful citizens" and even the innocent civilians who just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, we all must succumb to the great and benevolent powers of the state (and the sheepdog enforcers). And anyone with "anti-cop rhetoric" can just be labeled a domestic terrorist and detained without question due to the NDAA. Getting the fuller picture yet?

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   
in 2001 when i was in the police academy in california there was nothing in the curriculum about dealing with hearing impaired people. i brought in my deaf wife and they allowed her to teach everyone basic sign for cops. wasnt difficult. still today it isnt part of the curriculum. things like this break my heart.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   
In before; Why was he driving? Why didn't he look in his mirrors? A disabled person of that severity should not be driving. Also, If you run, reach in the back seat when asked to, talk back or keep driving you deserve to die.

Fed up aside; Very sad, RIP I hope this is dealt with accordingly before it's too late for that area.

Ps. a Similar situation happened to me locally where a disabled man met his fate by police. Closure wise the officer was sentenced, the issue addressed.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: CaDreamer
in 2001 when i was in the police academy in california there was nothing in the curriculum about dealing with hearing impaired people. i brought in my deaf wife and they allowed her to teach everyone basic sign for cops. wasnt difficult. still today it isnt part of the curriculum. things like this break my heart.

Like this,

Or this,

Not right is it? second video just lies.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 09:00 PM
link   

"They should've de-escalated and been trained to realize that this is an entirely different situation," neighbor Mark Barringer said. "You're pulling someone over who is deaf, they are handicapped. To me, what happened is totally unacceptable."

I don't agree.

While an officer should always remain aware of a driver's potential inability to follow instructions, remaining in your vehicle after being pulled over until agreeing with being instructed to exit is the safest bet. Hands visible at all times and no sudden movements when exiting.

Why did Harris exit the vehicle? Unless the officer is lying, he was pulled over for speeding. I'm willing to overlook that it took him longer than normal to pullover, but why he exited the vehicle and why he was shot is presented with very little context. Killed "almost immediately" sounds odd to me.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

Also, If you run, reach in the back seat when asked to, talk back or keep driving you deserve to die.

You win.. Dumbest thing I read all week.

How do you follow that gem? In the running for the yearly dumb ass award.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   

How could a deaf mute not holding a weapon cause a police officer to fear for his life??? Really, isn't this when not to use lethal force police training 101?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join