It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ask a philosopher

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   
OP Pinocchio does exist (he was made up) even in physical form as a (puppet), yes he doesn't have consciousness unless played by an actor but he still exists for that very reason.

Don't listen to everything you hear, if something has been physically done,, it does exist in whatever form it's taken.

edit on 22-8-2016 by DarkvsLight29 because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-8-2016 by DarkvsLight29 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Aristotelian1

Every human being feels that they are unique from the rest. Therefore, they are utterly normal because they feel this way. Do you agree or disagree with this statement?

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 04:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990
Well everything we perceive is technically an image of the past, even light takes time to travel or energy transmitted through any other medium.
The image that is appearing now is appearing now. If you had no concept of time or distance it would be obvious that all appears instantly. How long does it take for what is here now to appear? Look directly at what there actually is - don't go to the mind for an answer - the mind just tells stories about what it believes - don't believe the mind stories - look and see.

We keep measuring things though, lots of things.
What is there to measure really though? How can you measure time when there is only what is actually happening? Can you go anywhere else (past or future) and get a measuring tape and place it in the past and stretch it to now?

I can't help but think when we measure something and see what was and predict what will be we can deduce that something is.

What something is cannot be truly defined - it can only ever be an approximation - as the some 'thing' is always changing, morphing and unfathomable. Defining some 'thing' is drawing a line around a bit of the whole - it never harms the whole but it will seem to divide it.
The whole is 'this that is' - where is any 'thing' else? - just in the mind as an idea - which also happens to appear within the whole presently. Nothing can appear outside the perceiving presence. The perceiving presence and the perceived presence arise as one seamless happening.
edit on 23-8-2016 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   

How does one organize a collective of like minds in a city with none like the intended association of free religious belief in a united family of friends?

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Should we listen to you?

If so, why?

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Aristotelian1

I'm a philosopher and am willing to answer any questions you have a about life in a philosophical sense. I don't know everything obviously but this should be fun.

What happens if Pinocchio says, 'My nose is about to grow?'.

Either he's lying and his nose begins to grow, or he's telling the truth followed by a lie and his nose begins to grow. Unless of course, he's wrong about his own prediction in which case his nose won't grow.
edit on 23-8-2016 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Visitor2012

Good answer. Better than the non-philosopher answer from the Original Poster's philosophy professor.

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: hubrisinxs

I thought that you would say that, being that you feel the "soul" is a real philosophical category. So now for my new question: how do you know humans are not part of the physical universe, outside your personal belief in a soul, how can you prove to others that such a soul exist? and how can you be certain that you are not the one who is making the categorical mistake? Also, given that we do have some free will, where did this ethical system come from and why should an entity with free will be forced to follow such a code or system? is morality also beyond physical existence? Do you really think sociopaths do what is wrong out of ignorance of what is right?

I have heard these kinds of arguments before from C. S. Lewis's Mere Christianity, have you read our heard of this work?

Anyway, glad there are others who like good philosophical conversations. It is a stimulating workout for the mind and perhaps the soul.

Your question is one of epistemology. What i know I'll say here. As to how I know it, you can personal message me about that if you'd like. I have read "Mere Christianity."

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Are Time and Fear symbiotic?

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   
OP,, if the yellow card means (caution) and red means (out).

What card colour is this thread in?

Just a joke.

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Visitor2012

I'm a philosopher and am willing to answer any questions you have a about life in a philosophical sense. I don't know everything obviously but this should be fun.

What happens if Pinocchio says, 'My nose is about to grow?'.

Either he's lying and his nose begins to grow, or he's telling the truth followed by a lie and his nose begins to grow. Unless of course, he's wrong about his own prediction in which case his nose won't grow.

More details about the "magic" rules regarding P's nose would be necessary.

Is nose growth triggered on "non-factual" statements or "intentionally incorrect" ones?

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   

come on man, lets quit the philosopher aspirations and get back to getting stoned and watching anime.

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Why are we on Earth and is there an Afterlife and a God? What experience has lead you to this answer?

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: DigitalResonance
a
Pinocchio doesn't exist in a way that you could ask him a question.

I thought that was obvious. I guess not.

He exists as an existential construct.
He exists as a phantasmagoric construct. Which exists but not in the physical universe.

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: 51545155

Every human being feels that they are unique from the rest. Therefore, they are utterly normal because they feel this way. Do you agree or disagree with this statement?
Every human being is unique in the sense that they are themselves and no one else and normal in the sense that they think they are unique.

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: enterthestage

How does one organize a collective of like minds in a city with none like the intended association of free religious belief in a united family of friends?

I do not understand the question.

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fingle

Are Time and Fear symbiotic?

No.

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
Why are we on Earth and is there an Afterlife and a God? What experience has lead you to this answer?
Each individual is on Earth for a different reason, but most people were sent here for being non conformists in some capacity. There is life after death and God. Reason and evidence led me to these conclusions.

I think using the Genius Formula. I learned the formula from MegaGenius.com
edit on 23-8-2016 by Aristotelian1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 04:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: enterthestage

I do not understand the question.

Well then I guess you aren't fit to answer and are philosophically stumped. I want to form an organization of spiritual and not dogmatic or religiously intolerant people.

I want to encourage people to explore all the wise faiths and not reject everything besides the religion they grew up with.

I want to organize people who think like this, that all religions are essentially true paths to The One God who is Holy beyond comprehension and is not a religiously bias God(ess?).

And I want to get people to read all the scriptures of the wise faiths plus the Apocryphal books.

So I can form a spiritual not religious community of enlightened (not intolerant) souls who b want to learn and share knowledge.
edit on 24-8-2016 by enterthestage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 04:34 AM
link   
why do the globalist insist on depopulating the "un worthy"? what's their philosophy ? a reply to: Aristotelian1

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join