It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump's Ignorant Pitch to Black Voters

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+39 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Even though Trump has been invited to speak to the NAACP, the Urban League and the National Association of Black and Hispanic Journalists conventions, he has declined, preferring to give his Black Vote pitch in towns full of white people... He is making his pitch in areas that are overwhelmingly white (Fredericksburg, VA and Charlotte, NC). And recently, he said this to the people of Dimondale, Michigan, which is 93% white.

"What do you have to lose? You're living in poverty, your schools are no good, you have no jobs, 58% of your youth is unemployed... What the hell do you have to lose?"

Charlotte, NC
Video: mediamatters.org...

Trump's senior advisor, Jack Kingston, spoke with CNN's Brianna Keilar, about Trump's outreach to black people... When she pointed out that Trump wasn't exactly speaking to black people, but to places with white populations, low unemployment and wonderful schools, he said, "I mean, maybe it would have been nice if he went and had a backdrop with a burning car..." And he then pointed out that Trump had met with a black man, the Sheriff of Milwaukee.

Why is his pitch so misguided?

Trump Misleadingly Claims Black Youth Unemployment is at 59%

The latest figures from the federal Bureau of Labor Statistics pegged the unemployment rate for blacks, ages 16 to 19, at 27.1 percent in May.

It's Hard to Imagine a Much Worse Pitch Donald Trump Could Have Made for the Black Vote

Consider: Black Americans are not "living in poverty" as a general rule. Most black Americans don't live in poverty, just as most white Americans don't.
Black voters are perfectly able to evaluate candidates on qualities other than their political parties. Black voters began supporting the Democratic Party heavily thanks to the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Since then, they have consistently voted for the party — a party that is one-fifth black and which since 1964 has elected the vast majority of the black members of Congress.

People React to Trump's Pitch

Donald Trump is getting African American outreach wrong in the exact way that the GOP has been getting it wrong for my entire life.
Among other things, Trump has spoken all kinds of craziness about President Obama. Why would black folks vote for such a man?
Trump speaking *as if* he is appealing directly to black voters - note that campaign chose West Bend for this address, which is 95% white.
Why isn’t Trump making this speech in the black areas of Milwaukee? Oh right: gutless.
I'm trying to imagine the conversation at Trump HQ.
"We need to make a pitch to black voters."
"Let's do that in a nearly all-white town."
Is Trump... trying to pretend ... that he cares about black people? Holy crap. This speech needs a laugh track.
Ohhhh, I get it. This speech is written for conservative pundits to talk about how this speech is written for African-American voters.
He doesn’t even know he’s being racist.

Trump's numbers among blacks are in the single digits, worse than Romney's. Thinking that he can speak to his white supporters about how much he'll do for the poor black people to gain the black vote, by patronizing them is just... ignorant.
edit on 8/21/2016 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

+87 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Every thing Mr. Trump said about African American Voters in that Speech was Brutally Correct . Question is , are African Americans somehow Happy about that , or are they just Indifferent to it ? The Only way Out of Poverty is with a Personal Effort , and a Fair Chance to be Successful in Life . Here is a Man who is Offering just that , Hmm...What to do , What to do.....

+24 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I don't know where the # this guy finds his stats...
But he needs to fire his statisticians pronto.

This isn't the first time he has misled people on the numbers.

Sometimes I wonder if he is just trolling everyone.
Which would be the most wonderous troll in history.

Then I just revert back to thinking he really is a buffoon.

+65 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   
The DEMOCRATS have made Blacks/AfricanAmericans dependent upon that party to the degree that they actually make money from their suffering. Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, NAACP, etc.. would be out of business if African Americans started doing better on their own. A Trump economy would enable this to happen!

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Trump doesn't pander. Come one, come all.

#AllLivesMatter

+10 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

It is true that a lot of what Don said is true, regarding quality of schools, real opportunities to succeed, etc.

How, exactly is Don offering any improvement over the current situation? It's not enough to say "Believe me, you'll be winning so much you'll get tired of winning."

How, exactly, is he going to bring that about? I have yet to hear anything even close to credible on that angle.

+18 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

The Only way Out of Poverty is with a Personal Effort

Right, if only the African Americans worked harder is that it?
No other reasons for poverty, lack of education & opportunity?, just work harder that's your insight?.

K~

+18 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   

It gets better too, his campaign ad... though to do with immigration, cites 'statistics' provided by a group that's anti LEGAL immigration started by a eugenicist that believes black people are intellectually inferior to white people.

NYT article on John Tanton from 2011

Trumps campaign is literally being run by white supremacists using white supremacist 'research and data'.

Nice pivot Donnie. Teleprompters aren't going to save his campaign.
edit on 8/21/2016 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
Even though Trump has been invited to speak to the NAACP, the Urban League and the National Association of Black and Hispanic Journalists conventions, he has declined, preferring to give his Black Vote pitch in towns full of white people... He is making his pitch in areas that are overwhelmingly white (Fredericksburg, VA and Charlotte, NC). And recently, he said this to the people of Dimondale, Michigan, which is 93% white.

Just for statistics sake.. Dimondale is 10 min outside of Lansing,our state capital and it is only 62% white... It is also close to Michigan State University where the are voters of all different kinds of demographics...

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Open_Minded Skeptic

The ability to Improve All American Citizens Lives in this Country has Always been in the Hands of State and Federal Governments . Why they have chosen not to do so in some ways is the Question that no one seems to want to Answer . Money is just a Means to an End , and it takes People with Determination and Vision to Improve the Quality of Life for all of us . At Least Mr. Trump is Willing to give it his Best Shot .

+18 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

Every thing Mr. Trump said about African American Voters in that Speech was Brutally Correct . Question is , are African Americans somehow Happy about that , or are they just Indifferent to it ? The Only way Out of Poverty is with a Personal Effort , and a Fair Chance to be Successful in Life . Here is a Man who is Offering just that , Hmm...What to do , What to do.....

Most of the things Trump said in the speech were not true and contained incorrect statistics. The speech could not be more wrong.

+21 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   

To tell the truth, is really actually the truth, so far presidential candidates offer a lot of lip and then they just keep increasing the welfare system so they can keep the poor in the country, (mostly blacks) happy with crumbs every month.

So yes, what they have lose, unless many rather keep sitting at home getting crumbs, rather than work for a living, after all why to work when we have a hard working class that pay for all the social services in the nation

Only a minority of Black Americans have the change to become successful in this nation, so for many the American dream has just become that a for anybody else specially foreign immigrants dream but for them.

I love when politicians tells the truth, good for trump, is raw, ugly but at least he is not pandering to public opinion

+14 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

Every thing Mr. Trump said about African American Voters in that Speech was Brutally Correct .

Actually, much of my post shows that what he says about black people is no different from white people. Check out some of the links in my post. Black youth unemployment is the same as white youth unemployment. Most black Americans don't live in poverty, just as most white Americans don't.

And how, specifically, did Don offer a fair chance to be successful?

+10 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

To tell the truth, is really actually the truth, so far presidential candidates offer a lot of lip and then they just keep increasing the welfare system so they can keep the poor in the country, (mostly blacks) happy with crumbs every month.

So yes, what they have lose, unless many rather keep sitting at home getting crumbs, rather than work for a living, after all why to work when we have a hard working class that pay for all the social services in the nation

Only a minority of Black Americans have the change to become successful in this nation, so for many the American dream has just become that a for anybody else specially foreign immigrants dream but for them.

I love when politicians tells the truth, good for trump, is raw, ugly but at least he is not pandering to public opinion

So, Black people are sitting at home and collecting welfare and they vote democrat so they can continue to do so?

+19 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   

I guess the Progressive way of sugar coating lies to keep people slaves on the Democratic Plantation is a much better than someone who tells the brutal truth about how people have become victims for believing the government will always be there to give them crumbs to live off of.

Eight years of Obama, and how is that working out? lawlz

Trump is what ya'll get for sticking us with Emperor Obama for 8 years!

+12 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   
So many opinions about how black people live there lives with no facts as usual.

Durp durp durp democrats are the real racist, durp durp durp blacks are lazy people, free stuff for everyone.

I do enjoy this time of the year, it reminds me that even if we have evolved so far, some of us are still stuck in a racist world.

FYi i am an equal racist, i hate everyone the same.

edit on 21-8-2016 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: aethertek

" The Only way Out of Poverty is with a Personal Effort , and a Fair Chance to be Successful in Life "

You failed to Quote the rest of my comments there . The Fair Chance I mentioned would Infer ending Biasness and Racism in any form for All Citizens of this Country . A Heavy Task for any Leader , but Possible if People Embrace it for the Good of All .

link   

originally posted by: misfit312
Just for statistics sake.. Dimondale is 10 min outside of Lansing,our state capital and it is only 62% white...

Population by Races
Race Population % of Total
Total Population 1,234 100
White 1,144 92

Dimondale, Michigan over 90% White
edit on 8/21/2016 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: aethertek
Right, if only the African Americans worked harder is that it?
No other reasons for poverty, lack of education & opportunity?, just work harder that's your insight?

African Americans today are faced with two major options:
1) Blame an external enemy for all their problems and rely on others for solutions
2) Take responsibility and effect change through hard work and determination

I'm sure you can try justify everything with the slavery/racism cards, but that doesn't tend to fix things. Number two is by far the more logical and reasonable choice.

+20 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Would it have been better for Donald Trump to mimic Hillary Clinton's method, by showing up at a Black Church in Chicago, and pretending like he was one of them by declaring in a southern drawl, "I aint in no ways tired of fightin for you!"

At least Donald Trump is addressing black voters from a position of respecting them as intelligent human beings. He also knows that he's never just addressing the people in a room, because the mainstream media is always present.

Maybe Donald should stay home 3 days out of every 7 and rest, like Hillary.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join