It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mary Magdala, more important than you might think

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Everyone loves Mary Magdalene so I thought I would share something I noticed from the ancient lands of Sumer and Canaan.

A king (or queen?) from the Sumerian Kings list is named Magdal A Magdal Mukh

A deity or deified person from ancient Cannan was Illatu Magdali

Illatu Magdali was The Goddess of the Tower in Canaanite, literally.

Magdala means tower, so whatever the definition of the word Miriam is (priestess or prophetess is my guess) is a good indicator of how important she was.

Miriam was the Prophetess sister of Moses and Aaron, it's the name of the mother of the Messiah, it's an honor.

It's solid evidence that says she was more important than Rome could stomach.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: enterthestage

Perhaps, she's here now!

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   
enterthestage

I love a great mystery, and Mary Magdalene is definitely one of those. Thought by some to be the goddess Sophia there are many other varied interpretations of her identity..I have always been interested in knowing for sure who she truly was...hopefully someday we will find out..

Thanks,
blend57

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Ahhh, so she is more important than Jesus I guess
Isn't everyone more important than Jesus

Isn't that the message you want to inspire, why not just say that then rather than all these convoluted story's

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Mary mandela?

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   

I think she was just a woman.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: ServantOfTheLamb

I think she was just a woman.

Ah, the simple rout, I understand. I prefer to ponder the meaning of things beyond just the simple and in Hebrew culture names were considered useful in determining a persons character and background because they had meaning beyond being the name only. This is done all throughout the Old Testament such as Israel meaning wrestles/wrestled with God and Joshua meaning Salvation or Yah' Saves.

But I hear ya.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

I didn't say that, why are you?

Isn't that the message you want to inspire, why not just say that then rather than all these convoluted story's

That's a hell of an example of reading into things too much and assuming meaning that isn't there.
edit on 21-8-2016 by enterthestage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Ah, the simple rout, I understand. I prefer to ponder the meaning of things beyond just the simple and in Hebrew culture names were considered useful in determining a persons character and background because they had meaning beyond being the name only. This is done all throughout the Old Testament such as Israel meaning wrestles/wrestled with God and Joshua meaning Salvation or Yah' Saves. But I hear ya.

Well sure. The entirety of Genesis 5 is a list of names. These names spell out a sentence, "man is appointed mortal sorrow, but the blessed God shall come down teaching his death shall bring the despairing rest."

Adam Man
Seth Appointed
Enosh Mortal
Kenan Sorrow;
Mahalalel The Blessed God
Jared Shall come down
Enoch Teaching
Methuselah His death shall bring
Lamech The Despairing
Noah Rest, or comfort.

But how are these situations similar to what you are doing where you mix and match a couple of names from earlier cultures?

The name Miriam means one of these no one really knows which "wished-for child", "bitter", "rebellious" or "strong waters".

The last name is similar to saying "of Magdala". Also in all of the instances in the Bible it only seems ascribe titles of deity to the Messiah and Christ everyone else is always just a person.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 09:02 AM
link   
The Magdala Effect...? xD

Maybe it´s because all of "our" religions are copied from the sumerians?
The names of the "saints" and all that fairy tails characters are almost the same, in sumerian and in "our" religions. Those religious fairy tails are related to the stars, somehow.
If there is a saint and his name begins with M, it´s because of a star constellation that looks like a M.
Don´t know how to explain better, it´s a long time ago that i watched a very long documentary about that stuff.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

Or maybe the Sumarians copied the bible, they copied the prophecy
That documentary was well debunked but you wouldn't have watched the doco about the debunking, just what confirmed your opinion
edit on 21-8-2016 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: enterthestage

I didn't say that, why are you?

That's a hell of an example of reading into things too much and assuming meaning that isn't there.

Yeah oops, my apologies
Just use to be a person called gnosisfaith who use to post strange stuff, never backed it up with anything, kinda wierd

So what makes you think you are right, had a dream?

And what is the meaning then, what are you saying without saying, what's the point of your comments
How do you want people to respond

Obviously not like me...

The bible describes Magdalene as a follower of Jesus, there were many followers, how do you arrive at this special deified person thingy, I don't see it in the bible at all

Mary was quite contrary in another book, maybe Mary means contrary as well, remember miss muffett, her first name was Mary as well. Maybe Mary Magdalene didn't like spiders

You say some strange stuff and try to relate unrelatable names to draw confused outcomes

I just wondered why

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   

There are rumors that Mary Magdalene's descendants still walk the Earth to this day, protected by a Secret Society because the Vatican will 'silence' them if they found them.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

There are rumors that Mary Magdalene's descendants still walk the Earth to this day, protected by a Secret Society because the Vatican will 'silence' them if they found them.

So tell me what do they know that's such a big secret and why would they hide it for two thousand years, they could write a book and be millionaires
Also there are so many strange story's, what could they possibly say or know that would be as strange or disruptive as the stuff already written and talked about, then who would believe it outside of ats thread writers who want a few stars and flags

Descendants, no doubt there are descendants unless they got wiped out in the holocaust, she probably had a few kids, most women did back then as they do now

Sounds like to much Dan Brown around here

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: ServantOfTheLamb

Ah, the simple rout, I understand. I prefer to ponder the meaning of things beyond just the simple and in Hebrew culture names were considered useful in determining a persons character and background because they had meaning beyond being the name only. This is done all throughout the Old Testament such as Israel meaning wrestles/wrestled with God and Joshua meaning Salvation or Yah' Saves. But I hear ya.

Well sure. The entirety of Genesis 5 is a list of names. These names spell out a sentence, "man is appointed mortal sorrow, but the blessed God shall come down teaching his death shall bring the despairing rest."

Adam Man
Seth Appointed
Enosh Mortal
Kenan Sorrow;
Mahalalel The Blessed God
Jared Shall come down
Enoch Teaching
Methuselah His death shall bring
Lamech The Despairing
Noah Rest, or comfort.

But how are these situations similar to what you are doing where you mix and match a couple of names from earlier cultures?

The name Miriam means one of these no one really knows which "wished-for child", "bitter", "rebellious" or "strong waters".

The last name is similar to saying "of Magdala". Also in all of the instances in the Bible it only seems ascribe titles of deity to the Messiah and Christ everyone else is always just a person.

So why did you say somewhat smugly maybe she "was just a woman"? If you knew how meaningful and significant names could be when looking for deep meaning it seems likely you'd have not asked.

Either way I think it's pretty obvious that no matter her real history there has been attempt at slandering her, as a prostitute specifically and by covering up her history and importance.

So it seems unlikely that she WASN'T more important than theo-"logy" says.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

This sounds fantastic and you can thank Dan Brown for making it mainstream. But I actually wouldn't be surprised if it was true so I hope the See never finds them just in case it is true.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Ahh, so we can confirm Dan Brown is a source of your theology, a fiction writer, how cool

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Ahh, so we can confirm Dan Brown is a source of your theology, a fiction writer, how cool

That's a silly thing to say, I didn't even imply I believe what that author of fiction says in books was true, you incorrectly infered something I didn't come close to saying.

I think that confirms you don't like this thread which is weird because it isn't offensive at all. Making things up about me in a lame attempt to discredit me as a (Im not) Dan Brown fan.

I was blaming dan for creating a ridiculous fervor actually, try reading what I really said and not making up things that I didn't say.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Fantastic means like fantasy, OK?

"Thank him" was sarcasm.
edit on 21-8-2016 by enterthestage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   

So why did you say somewhat smugly maybe she "was just a woman"? If you knew how meaningful and significant names could be when looking for deep meaning it seems likely you'd have not asked.

Because all of the people in Genesis 5 are just people. Their names express a deeper message about God not about themselves. Again the only time it seems to express deeper meaning about a person it is about the Messiah. Take Genesis 5 again. Mahalael means the blessed God, but in relation to this passage it is speaking of the Messiah. Immanuel, "God with Us", is told to be the title of the Messiah. The Bible isn't about us. Its about Jesus.

I am confused how you think what you are doing is similar to what I am doing. You are taking ancient cultures and applying it to a random person in the 1st century that has similarities. I just don't understand your reasoning for doing so.

Either way I think it's pretty obvious that no matter her real history there has been attempt at slandering her, as a prostitute specifically and by covering up her history and importance.

I don't know if she was a prostitute or not. I don't think there is anything in the Bible that directly points to that. I think some believe her to be the woman brought before Jesus. Regardless she was a sinner just like me and just like you. No better no worse.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join