It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Donald Trump's companies at least $650 million in debt

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
We're supposed to trust this guy with the economy? Born with a silver spoon in his mouth, $1 million loan from his father, $40 million inherited... and yet he still manages to have how many bankruptcies and have his empire be $650 million in debt:

Donald Trump’s properties are indebted to a number of large financial institutions, including some that he’s repeatedly maligned on the campaign trail, according to a new report by the New York Times.

The newspaper found that holdings by Trump have debt amounting to at least $650 million -- a far cry from the amount ($315 million) filed on the personal financial disclosure forms he gave to the Federal Election Commission (FEC).

The campaign addressed the discrepancy to the Times, attributing it to the limited information the FEC actually requires on such forms

www.cbsnews.com...

New York times first broke the story and now it's doing the rounds.

Maybe this presidential run is just the thing Trump needs. He made $190 million extra since his initial run. Either way this does not look good at all.

You clearlydon't understand how money works.

What's the biggest loan you've ever gotten, and how does it compare to the amount you personally paid in?

He doesn't owe anyone 650mil, his businesses have been able to get loans for that total.

You don't get approved for huge loans without assets to put up against it.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   
This is so sad. The MSM is clickbaiting for low info voters who have no idea how business works and it sounds have never bought a house. These people who fall for this must have terrible credit.
Trump's companies must have some yyyyuugge assets and revenue streams to get approved for these loans. These are not sub prime loan officers loaning out this money.

Environmentalist/techy/hipster god Elon Musk's company Tesla carries 2.6 Billion in long term debt. He must be controlled by the banks!!!! One article alone has 500 million from Deutche Bank and Bank of america with a possible 250 million extension last year.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   

This part of the article right here I found amusing... and disturbing at the same time:

Notably, one of these -- a Manhattan office building which Trump partly owns -- “carries a $950 million loan,” according to the Times. Goldman Sachs and the Bank of China are two of the building’s four lenders.

Trump, while on the trail, has repeatedly slammed his political rivals for their connections to Goldman Sachs. After news reports revealed back in January that his then-primary opponent Texas Sen. Ted Cruz had received two loans from Goldman Sachs and Citibank (totaling as much as $1 million) to fund his Senate campaign, Trump criticized Cruz as being beholden to banks.After news reports revealed back in January that his then-primary opponent Texas Sen. Ted Cruz had received two loans from Goldman Sachs and Citibank (totaling as much as $1 million) to fund his Senate campaign, Trump criticized Cruz as being beholden to banks.

Again, you don't seem to understand how things work. I have Comcast cable service. I HATE THEM. I have CHASE bank, and a f*ckin loathe how they do business.

One of Trumps buildings happens to be financed (pasrtially) by GoldmanSachs, so what??

Ever bought a car from a slimy used car dealership? Or had to deal with a shietty insurance company, mortgage broker, utility company or bank???

Trump may very well hate a lot of bankers' practices and attempt to make real changes to the banking world. Certainly his stance on protectionist trade scares the hell out of big multinational banks and how they reap insane profits. TPP and TTIP are HUGE for banks and Trump is 1000% against those deals.

edit on 22-8-2016 by 8675309jenny because: edited to include full quote

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: dashen
a good developer never puts in his own cash.
he either takes a loan through an LLC that they set up, or sets up an LLC with several investors.
It may just mean he bought a lot of buildings that he is paying off.
Notice how it doesnt say he is in default on any of those loans

Hey I'll be the first to put my hand up and admit I don't fully understand the ins and outs of realstate and investment property.

You say you don't understand,and yet you immediately then make this statement:

That being said, I find it disturbing that he is millions debt to companies the likes of Goldman Sachs and other foreign firms, including the Bank of China.

HE'S NOT IN DEBT TO THEM. Read the article,he is a part owner on a building worth $950million (more actually, that's just the loans on the building), and two of the FOUR lenders on that building happen to be Goldman Sachs and Bank of China

So yes, you definitely don't understand how this works, and I don't mean that with an insulting tone or anything, you just need to understand this all much better.

Given that he has a $650 million loan to commit to, which to me in on itself is an indication he hasn't been all too successful in clearing his loans, and given the possibility he may not even be a billionaire, alarm bells ring.

Successful in clearing his loans ? Imagine if you had a $500k mortgage at 2% and you won $1million tomorrow. Would YOU personally pay off the mortgage? If so, you'd be foolish to do so.

There's not enough information here to really tell much, but if he did have the cash on hand to settle the $650million it's unlikely he would anyway because that kind of cash could be used to make even more money with favorable terms. You also have to take into consideration things like prepayment penalties, interest vs inflation, individual property earnings, occupancy, demand and finance terms.

There are far more reasons NOT to immediately pay of the loans.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
a reply to: Aazadan

Sure, we know about his business but judging by his track record can you imagine what his personal debt is?! Having such debt can most definitely be used against him as leverage.

To put it in perspective, if you're gonna work for the gov't/military and require a clearance (TS/S/C) you have to pass a background check which includes your debt. If you have too much debt you don't get a clearance and that's because it could potentially be used to lure you into selling information. So with that, I suspect Trump is full of debt and continues to be grossly disqualified to be POTUS.

LOL oh man.

His personal debt is likely NOTHING or totally minimal.

My company has large debt, but personally I have absolutely zero debt. Everything in my possession is paid in full. In fact it kinda has to be because my credit went to hell (from my own doing) after the 2008 crash and I never bothered to repair it. I paid all my credit cards off in full and closed the accounts and live 100% in the black.

Maybe not the wisest choice honestly, but if I really need credit for anything I will open some recurring accounts, maintain the optimal balance/limit ratio and quickly build whatever rating I need.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
As they keep digging I suspect we will find a great deal about Trump is being hidden. The 650 million is interesting but, the other 2 billion in debt he shares with others is interesting since we have no idea what percentage of it is his.

The irony is of course that when it was revealed Cruz has about a million in loans from Goldman Sachs Trump made a huge deal about it and turns out he has the same thing just 100 times worse. They are going to beat him over the head with this big time. Not to mention the debt to China.

None of this of course will affect his loyal followers but, for most people it will be yet another case of Trump saying one thing and doing another.

JesuChristo you must be thick as molasses.

Cruz took CAMPAIGN FINANCE loans directly from Goldman Sachs. You don't think that might come with some expectations?????

Trump is PART OWNER (so either a partner or investor) of a building that was partially FINANCED by GoldmanSachs. Partially financed. Who knows what portion, but they are only ONE of FOUR lenders on the building. This is like me asking you personally how much you are in debt to Alcoa because your car has aluminum wheels on it, and is still financed.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: 8675309jenny

We're supposed to trust this guy with the economy? Born with a silver spoon in his mouth, $1 million loan from his father, $40 million inherited... and yet he still manages to have how many bankruptcies and have his empire be $650 million in debt:

Donald Trump’s properties are indebted to a number of large financial institutions, including some that he’s repeatedly maligned on the campaign trail, according to a new report by the New York Times.

The newspaper found that holdings by Trump have debt amounting to at least $650 million -- a far cry from the amount ($315 million) filed on the personal financial disclosure forms he gave to the Federal Election Commission (FEC).

The campaign addressed the discrepancy to the Times, attributing it to the limited information the FEC actually requires on such forms

www.cbsnews.com...

New York times first broke the story and now it's doing the rounds.

Maybe this presidential run is just the thing Trump needs. He made $190 million extra since his initial run. Either way this does not look good at all.

You clearlydon't understand how money works.

What's the biggest loan you've ever gotten, and how does it compare to the amount you personally paid in?

He doesn't owe anyone 650mil, his businesses have been able to get loans for that total.

You don't get approved for huge loans without assets to put up against it.

Yep.

You need a good credit history also.

1 word, Solyndra.

Do people really want hillary to keep giving $500 mil to crap ass fronts?

Whatever, I've owned businesses and know how it works on a smaller scale.

These other people wonder why they can't get a $500.00 credit card.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Invicid

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: Swills
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Wouldn't all this debt disqualify him from being POTUS? Could be why he refused to release his tax returns.

No. It's debt owned by his business, not by him. The real question you should be looking at is if his real estate assets are worth more than the debt carried by them.

Shallow comment at best. Learn business ^. Do you think he outright owns his real estate assets? This is why people shouldn't speak before they know. Because I have yet to read one person on all of ATS who has even a kindergarden level of business acumen. He is a fraud, who is entirely un-successful at nearly every endeavor he has focused on. Get a #ing grip already.

Hahahaha, entirely unsuccessful ????? LOL

And Kindergarten business acumen...... LOL again, about half a dozen posters in this thread own businesses and understand how ludicrous this OP article is.

Get back on the short bus bro.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I do taxes for a living, I want to see his schedules b, c, d, and e. The ignorance in this thread is astonishing, an LLC can be taxed as a disregarded entity and placed on a schedule c, a partnership, which pays no taxes as it is a pass through entity, an S-corp, which is also a pass through entity, or a C-Corp which will pay taxes if they have a profit.

Schedule B will tell me about interest and dividends

Schedule C will tell me about any disregarded entities.

Schedule D will tell me about short/long term capital gains, selling stocks, bonds, properties, etc

Schedule E will tell me about his partnerships.

This guy is hiding stuff, and has claimed tax credits in NY for people making less than 500K a year, RELEASE THE RETURNS.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 09:55 PM
link   

So ... Trump's properties are not as indebted as the properties of our federal US government already.

I guess I just do not see the reason for drama with this thread.

I mean, if anything, maybe Trump is more qualified to lead this totally bankrupt US nation because he has experience with such things hahaha

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fowlerstoad

So ... Trump's properties are not as indebted as the properties of our federal US government already.

I mean, if anything, maybe Trump is more qualified to lead this totally bankrupt US nation because he has experience with such things hahaha

We have no way of knowing that, because he refuses to release his tax returns. He may be upside down in everything he owns, but we have no way of knowing.

(post by Invicid removed for a manners violation)

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   

If plunging businesses into more debt that can be sold off is a strategy to run a country then yes. But that leads to wars, not jobs. Are people seriously talking out loud so misinformed about the general functions of finance and business?

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Invicid

This country is already in so much debt that it will never be paid off, without a currency devaluation at a minimum, or total default at a maximum.

It is not a matter of 'if' but 'when'. The next president will only be able to affect the 'when' and not the 'if', depending on whatever Congress gives him or her to sign or veto....

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: BubbaJoe

That is true ... we cannot know for sure, but the United States Federal Government is in trillions of dollars worth of debt, 100 trillion plus if you include future unpayable promises not yet paid.

I don't think Trump's debt could be more than in the billions range; so, I still think the US national debt is higher, regardless.

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   

I'm no fan of Trump, but getting a loan for a large real estate project is very different from being friends with bankers and getting donations from them.

A commercial mortgage on an income-producing property is the normal way such real-estate businesses work. Equity holders take on more risk for the chance of more return, and the loan holders take on less risk for a fixed income return. There are investors in the market for all sorts of risk profiles (some want bonds, some want RE equity).

Bankers make money off loans. They spend money and effort on political favors to make more money.

I think the reason Trump won't release his tax return is that they will show he makes much less money than what he wants portrays in his image.

What if he made less than HRC? She (and presumably Bill) reported an income of $10.6 million. That's a lot of "speaking fees".

"Donald made less than Hillary" --- that would hurt his chances more than any BS he's said, because it would hit at one core attraction to his supporters. His supporters would feel betrayed, because they are voting for him under the emotional myth of "Trump is Mister No BS, he says what he means, he is what he appears to be, he's not a sleazy politician". If they find out that Trump was just a con-man, he's done.

Not only that, but Trump's real goal (Set up Trump News/Trump TV network) would also be finished.
edit on 23-8-2016 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 12:37 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr
Thanks for the lesson! I didn't consider that a business (or property, if it is making a profit) would be more than the actual liquidated assets of that property. I think that clears things up pretty well! I personally don't think he should have to release his taxes at all. It might hurt his business in more ways than one. To say that he should anyway is not understanding how that kind of thing is run, and what kind of liability to shareholders, etc he would be under if his private assets were to become public.

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   

This country is already in so much debt that it will never be paid off, without a currency devaluation at a minimum, or total default at a maximum.

It is not a matter of 'if' but 'when'. The next president will only be able to affect the 'when' and not the 'if', depending on whatever Congress gives him or her to sign or veto....

Never be paid off? What the # are you talking about? Countries sell each other their debt, there isn't "paying anything off" - this is a misconception because people have no #ing clue what they are talking about. No countries are outright paying off their debt in the manner you speak of, which is pure ignorance. No wonder Trump has somewhat scary numbers. People really think this is how these things work?

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   

This is off topic, I admit ... but there are a lot of articles out there about the 'un-payability' of our US National debt.

No countries are 'currently' paying off their debts, true. You have some good points, but my belief is that we are just at the end of an incredible debt cycle, which has distorted government spending around the globe. Most countries are passing around their debt like hot potatoes, like you said, agreed and true. But it cannot mathematically last.

One link

A more sophisticated analysis, perhaps

posted on Aug, 24 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

If it makes you feel better hillary lost 6 billion under her watch.

The problem is she out scumbags trump on just about everything. She makes him look like a cubscout.

Eitherway we r screwed but she is the bigger proven evil. She will be our POTUS because she is part of the corrupted system.

6 billion lost?....what a joke....prove it, IN DETAIL

new topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join