It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planetary Engineering

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Ok so essentially I want to present an idea that will require an enormous amount of work.

This has to do with the Planet Venus and in potential the benefit developing the technology of blocking all solar radiation from it's surface.

As well as alternatively being able to apply the same technology towards adjusting the amount of radiation the planet in question is exposed to at our discretion.

We could cool Venus rather quickly this way and introduce substantive amounts of Hydrogen at the surface, while at discretion altering the temperature.

Thoughts?

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I think for Venus the first thing you need to do is reduce the CO2 in the atmosphere (something like 96%).

If you can figure out how to do that, I'd first sell that technology on this planet - you'd make a bajillion dollars (roughly).

It's the runaway greenhouse, because of the co2 in the atmosphere, that's the problem there.

(Of course receiving roughly twice as much solar radiation as we do doesn't help)

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: TommyD1966

But if it was possible to reduce the effect of Sol to 0?

The temp would drop really fast and if could be regulated through technology?

Another problem Venus has is its proximity to Sol.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Kashai

Venus is a lost cause, the terraforming tech involved simply doesn't exist. We could however, make Mars warmer, and at 1/2 the size of Earth the task would be a LOT easier than cooling Venus.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

It would take way longer to make Mars habitable in compared to Venus all things considered.

Blocking light from Sol to Venus could actually be accomplished with a proper Hologram.

Alternatively materials designed to reflect radiation are well within current potential.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Its too damn hot.

Surface temp of Venus

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

So if radiation from Sol is rendered to 0% that would not cool it down substantially like in a year?

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   

No, you need to do more research.

Blocking light from Sol to Venus could actually be accomplished with a proper Hologram.

Holograms are transparent. You are aware of this right?

Alternatively materials designed to reflect radiation are well within current potential.

In that case current climate change models should be no issue for earth, yet we keep setting records for heat and extreme, unpredictable weather. (I am not in any way advocating man-made global warming with that statement, it's just what planets do)

I'm sorry to tell you, Venus is simply not a candidate for terraforming.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kashai
a reply to: intrptr

So if radiation from Sol is rendered to 0% that would not cool it down substantially like in a year?

No, it wouldn't

Geothermal activity and current gaseous content of Venus prevent such a thing.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Someone with better math/physics skills than I could probably figure this out.

Could you use Newton's Law of cooling?

I'd ask this in the 'ask any questions about phyiscs' thread. As a matter of fact, I'll do just that that.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 10:51 PM
link   

We don't even know if Venus is still thermo-geologically active. We have recent evidence that it actually is, but the thick gaseous atmosphere it has hinders our observations quite a bit.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 10:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

We don't even know if Venus is still thermo-geologically active. We have recent evidence that it actually is, but the thick gaseous atmosphere it has hinders our observations quite a bit.

Right. I did ask the question in the other thread -- assuming that there is no heat factors other the solar radiation and greenhouse effect.

Going from memory here, but didn't someone calculate that based upon the earth being essentially molten at one time, and its temperature now, that the earth was something like 100 million years old (the time it would take to cool to current temp)?

I think the math worked, but radioactive materials weren't taken into account, which is why the calculation was off.

(maybe that was a different timeline
)

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Well actually in relation to the tech and given one can make something invisible using Holograms I really do not see a problem in that regard.

A rather popular magician about a decade ago used to make all kinds of things disappear this way.

It would depend upon how much energy was used and I really have no problem taking such a "road" as an option.

I would disagree if we can cool Venus enough it would be a Paradise.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 11:02 PM
link   

That's the thing, we were pretty sure for some reason venus was geologically quiet and dead. It had expelled everything it had and that created its thick atmosphere. Now we see signs through thermal imaging that show otherwise, and given Venus' extreme temps we aren't sure if those are false positives or not.

I personally think it's active.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Well actually in relation to the tech and given one can make something invisible using Holograms I really do not see a problem in that regard.

Do you actually know what a hologram is?

A rather popular magician about a decade ago used to make all kinds of things disappear this way.

You mean Criss Angel? Yea, he kinda didn't actually do those things in real life, they were televised stunts involving casted audiences and lots of camera play/editing.

I would disagree if we can cool Venus enough it would be a Paradise.

If we can't cool Earth how in the hell will we cool Venus?

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   

I am presenting the idea there is "no" radiation from Sol and in as much Venus would cool to a degree way faster than earth did, when it was molten and exposed to solar radiation to its surface. Its to suggest an equivalent hypothetically that Venus was pushed out of the Solar System in its present state to a location outside the orbit of Neptune within months due to some phenomenon.

In this case the phenomenon is that Mankind finds a way to block all solar radiation to Venus with technology.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 11:08 PM
link   

We can cool the earth and I am not into politics.

I know what a hologram is and what I am offering is not impossible.

edit on 19-8-2016 by Kashai because: Added content

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 11:24 PM
link   

I don't think you actually know what a hologram is. It is a projected image containing zero density

We can cool the earth and I am not into politics.

How?

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Actually it really does not matter the point is we find a way to reduce the amount of radiation to Venus to 0% and so what is the result?

That's actually the topic.

edit on 19-8-2016 by Kashai because: Added content

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 11:33 PM
link   

To start with...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join