It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Christian Groups Accuse SpongeBob Of A Homosexual Agenda

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Feeling that they have political capital, and coming on the heels of a multi state victory regarding gay marriage bans, conservative Christian groups have a new target. In this case, he wears square pants and lives at the bottom of the sea. Cartoon character SpongeBob SquarePants is being accused of promoting a homosexual agenda.

Update: Creator: SpongeBob is Asexual

SpongeBob SquarePants, the wacky cartoon character who sparked a gay alert warning by U.S. Christian conservative groups, is neither gay nor straight

He is asexual, says his creator.
Asexual

sfgate.com
Washington -- On the heels of electoral victories to ban same-sex marriage, some influential conservative Christian groups are turning their attention to a new target: the cartoon character SpongeBob SquarePants.

"Does anybody here know SpongeBob?" Dr. James Dobson, founder of Focus on the Family, asked the guests Tuesday night at a black-tie dinner for members of Congress and political allies to celebrate the election results.

In many circles, SpongeBob needs no introduction. He is popular among children and grown-ups as well who watch him cavorting under the sea on the Nickelodeon cartoon program that bears his name. In addition, he has become a well-known camp figure among gay men, perhaps because he holds hands with his animated sidekick Patrick and likes to watch the imaginary television show "The Adventures of Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Okay I have to think that the conservative Christian groups are getting really out of control. First we had Jerry Fallwell going after Tinkey Winkey, now SpongeBob SquarePants? The creators of the cartoon feel that this is all a big mistake, but these groups seem hell bent about getting out the message about SpongeBob. If they are really concerned about mixed messages, inconsistencies, and false premises, incest, and prostitution, maybe they should take a look at the bible.

[edit on 30-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
This has to go under the category of "Ummm Okaaaay.."
Why is Tolerance the villian these days, why oh why do these fundamentalist.....zealots want to return America to the "Good 'ole Days" when anyone who was different was persecuted. What can they actually do? Can they get the show banned? I should hope not, because as the article said Tolerance is not preached on the show at all and Infact according to the producers and creators of the show is just a Big misunderstanding. The article closed off with this quote that I found quite amusing.

"We see the video as an insidious means by which the organization is manipulating and potentially brainwashing kids," he said. "It is a classic bait and switch."

I'm sure they know all about Bait and Switch tactics along with brainwashing kids....
Why Is fundamentalist thinking on the rise world-wide nowadays? In almost every religion people are seemingly going insane, what is up.

[edit on 20-1-2005 by sardion2000]

[edit on 20-1-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   
It would be funny if these groups were not so serious about imparting thier values and the like on everyone.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I think it, like most Disney, Nickelodeon, and other childrens' shows, promote a much more sinister agenda-the Stupidity Agenda! All the characters of most popular shows are morons, idiots, clueless simpletons! Don't let your children be exposed to subliminal messages telling them that being a good-hearted moron is cool! Make them watch shows about lawyers and moral-less corporate executives, or politicians and their media running-dogs who believe they are beyond question, so they may be successful and not pawns!

But seriously, though....one has got to wonder, just how much Spongebob or Telletubbies an "evangelist" has to watch to come up with this stuff? Methinks they doth protest too much

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I agree with the above post. The only thing I have against most of the popular cartoons nowadays is that the characters are usually just plain stupid and have no depth. Or is that too much to ask???

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
I agree with the above post. The only thing I have against most of the popular cartoons nowadays is that the characters are usually just plain stupid and have no depth. Or is that too much to ask???

One thing that has changed, although I in all likleyhood sound like my parents, is that the cartoons seem to be planned and geared around merchandizing from the get go and not the otherway around. The PBS ones, Barney and Teletubies, are better than most, other are simply a 30 minute commercial.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   
FredT, you sound JUST like your parents!

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
This truly is disturbing. As a gay person whith absolutely no political affiation whatsoever, I'm insulted to be associated in any way with such a hideous cartoon. How embarasing!

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by spike
This truly is disturbing. As a gay person whith absolutely no political affiation whatsoever, I'm insulted to be associated in any way with such a hideous cartoon. How embarasing!

HAHAHAHAHA
Man you gave me a good laugh because originally I thought you were going to say something serious
THANK YOU!

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by spike

maybe you have found common ground with the conservative Christians????

You could be the GLCCASS (Pronounced Glass)Group: Gays and Lesbians and Concervative Christians Against SpongeBob SquarePants

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Groups like this are why all Christians, even if many don't follow their beliefs, are labeled as "intolerant fundamentalists". They really are their own worst enemy. They preach to the choir and just look silly to the people that they're trying to attract or win over.

I suppose they should get up in arms about Bea Arthur and Barbara Streisand too.

I always thought ol' Bob was a little light in the loafers myself.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
SPONGEBOB IS HOT!

he makes me feel so squishy and moist...

really... i am with fred on this... if it wasn't so scary...it would be funny...

now... there are some disney cartoons that i have noticed have pagan and wiccan undertones... but that doesn't really bother me so much... although I won't be buying them for my catholic nephews for christmas...

the most dangerous cartoons are japanese anime... I siezure myself unconscious, and always wake up hours later with a need to own japenese products...

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   
well as a parent of a little boy who loves watching spongebob, and consequently, somebody who has seen the show very often...i think it's absurd. Putting everything else aside, if anybody here has actually seen the show more then once, they should know about Sandy, the squirrell that lives near him that is his "friend". There are constant innuendos between the two, and nearly every show she's in concerns spongebob going to ridiculous links to impress her, sounds like love to me

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by KKing123
Sandy, the squirrell that lives near him that is his "friend". There are constant innuendos between the two, and nearly every show she's in concerns spongebob going to ridiculous links to impress her, sounds like love to me

I'm with you 110% on this one!

SpongeBob gay? This is the most absurd thing I've heard since they tried to say that Ken (Barbie's botfriend) is gay!

Anyone with a half-a-brain knows that SpongeBob loves Sandy and Ken is in love with Barbie!

Sometimes I don't know what to think about radical groups that promote nonsense!

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling

Originally posted by KKing123
Sandy, the squirrell that lives near him that is his "friend". There are constant innuendos between the two, and nearly every show she's in concerns spongebob going to ridiculous links to impress her, sounds like love to me

I'm with you 110% on this one!

SpongeBob gay? This is the most absurd thing I've heard since they tried to say that Ken (Barbie's botfriend) is gay!

Anyone with a half-a-brain knows that SpongeBob loves Sandy and Ken is in love with Barbie!

Sometimes I don't know what to think about radical groups that promote nonsense!

These posts are so silly. As long as there is human life on earth somebody will have a problem with something. Mostly the christians, colored people and gay folk. I personally do not have a problem with any of these people, but some are starting to act like total dips.
Even if Ken was Bi and Spongebob to for that matter, whos business is it? Come on already.
These post belong on the nutcase board, not here. And if it has to be here , should'nt these type of posts belong on bts?

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 09:51 PM
link   
This is totally getting out of hand. Spongebob? Come on, when will it end? I guess never....

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by krt1967
These posts are so silly.

The posts or the topics?

Silly posts for silly topics is what I say!

Some elements are just plain ridiculous if you ask me!

I'm talking about the Conservative Christian groups.

I'm conservative and also believe in Christ as my Saviour, but I do think that some people go off (way off) on a tangent when they haven't got anything better to do!

What I say to them is: GET A LIFE!

df1

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I've always been suspicious of the relationship between "Rocky and Bullwinkle". The symbology is too great for it to be coincidence. You have this big horned Moose hanging out with a small creature that is fond of nuts. It doesn't take Fellini to figure out what is going on here. And I haven't even gotten into that cross species thing.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795

Have you ever tried the following cartoons? I think you'd be impressed; these shows are good, intelligent science fiction, with very intelligent characters.

Batman:TAS, Superman:TAS, Justice League, and Batman Beyond

wf.toonzone.net...

Cowboy Bebop

Robotech: The Macross Saga

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the new version, not the original 1980's version, which was horrible)

As for SpongeBob Squarepants... it's a cute little comedy. My little sister grew up watching it, and I've seen many episodes, and nothing on that show strikes me as even subtley having any messages of any kind. It's just a goofy family comedy -- good clean fun, and all that.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by df1
I've always been suspicious of the relationship between "Rocky and Bullwinkle". The symbology is too great for it to be coincidence. .

What about Sherman and the dog guy with the wayback machine?

DOn't get me going on Bert and Ernie

Or Fred and Barney?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join