It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On the lighter side...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   
... we have this:

Jewelry designers are branded 'trashy' over note that they sent to Ivanka Trump in which they snidely boast about donating proceeds from her purchase to Hillary Clinton

After the 34-year-old ordered an $84 gold Helix Ear Cuff from Lady Grey Jewelry's website, the brand's co-founders and designers, Jill Martinelli and Sabine Le Guyader, took to the company's Instagram page on Tuesday to share a photo of the handwritten note they had sent to Ivanka.

The publicly shared message revealed that the jewelry designers donated the proceeds of the sale to various organizations, including the Hillary Clinton campaign, and while some fans admired their moxie, others accused them of being 'unprofessional' and 'tactless'.

I can appreciate the challenge to their political conscience. I can respect their decision to fill the order rather than just exercise their right to "refuse servce to anyone" for any reason. I can applaud their compromise in accepting the order but donating the profits to their preferred charity. I'm not even especially disturbed by the saccharine sweet note they sent to Ivanka (which I'm sure she'll read for exactly what it is). What strikes me as unprofessional and unacceptable (not to mention petty and oh-so-passive-aggressive) is their snarky Instagram post about it all for the whole world to see... and, presumably, snicker and s'n-word' with them about their, um, cleverness.

I don't support either Trump or Clinton; neither will get my vote. But I sure wouldn't shop here after this stunt! It would serve them right if Ivanka returned the piece for a complete refund and let those donations come out of the jewelers' pockets (not that the donations could have amounted to much anyway!).

I'm curious what my fellow ATSers think about how the jewelers handled this. But I'm even more curious how you would handle such a situation... if you received an order from Ivanka/Chelsea, would you treat their patronage like any other customer? Or what would you do? And why? (Keeping in mind that political affiliation is not yet a protected class protected by color of law, so discrimination is fair play...)

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Great way to retain customers - use their personal life against them (and for your own personal political interests)

(facepalm)

I also won't be voting for either of the goons, but I think what this jewelry company did is pretty low to be honest. I hope Ivanka returns whatever she bought
take that Jill and Sabine - bet they have greatttt reasons for wanting Hillary as our Pres (if they do, which I bet they do)

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   

in the numerous industries i have worked i have often had to service customers whom i disliked greatly, from the hobo at the counter with teeth so rotten you could smell them as he stepped through the door.

to the dea agents bragging about their pot bust on some teens.

even if hillary (whom i despise) personally presented herself to be serviced with the company i worked, even if i where to own that company, i would (as i always have) treat all of them equally and fairly, with all personal feelings aside, that is the definition of professionalism, to toss that aside makes you far worse in moral character then any you would shun.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

Great way to retain customers - use their personal life against them (and for your own personal political interests)

(facepalm)

Right? That was my first thought. I suppose they might have thought that any Trump-customers they lost would be made up for by Clinton-customers they gained/retained, but why? This is just not good business. Cutting off their nose to spite their faces so to speak.

...bet they have greatttt reasons for wanting Hillary as our Pres (if they do, which I bet they do)

They did donate to Hilary, not Stein or Johnson...

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: NobodiesNormal

even if hillary (whom i despise) personally presented herself to be serviced with the company i worked, even if i where to own that company, i would (as i always have) treat all of them equally and fairly, with all personal feelings aside, that is the definition of professionalism, to toss that aside makes you far worse in moral character then any you would shun.

Thank you -- and good for you! I couldn't imagine myself doing any different either. Not just for business reasons either. As corny as it sounds, it's about freedom. Having the freedom to have different political opinions is a virtue. Argue, debate, discuss... but don't publicly shame or mock the person.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

I can appreciate the challenge to their political conscience. I can respect their decision to fill the order rather than just exercise their right to "refuse servce to anyone" for any reason. I can applaud their compromise in accepting the order but donating the profits to their preferred charity. I'm not even especially disturbed by the saccharine sweet note they sent to Ivanka (which I'm sure she'll read for exactly what it is). What strikes me as unprofessional and unacceptable (not to mention petty and oh-so-passive-aggressive) is their snarky Instagram post about it all for the whole world to see... and, presumably, snicker and s'n-word' with them about their, um, cleverness.

Yeah, I have to pretty much agree with you. It was totally within their rights to do all those things, but it was a bit tacky to broadcast the personal note on social media.

I certainly don't support Trump, so I'm not broken-hearted about what they did, but it would upset me a little more if say, this was a bakery, and the owners sold a wedding cake to a gay couple, then sent them a note that they were taking the proceeds from the cake and donating it to a anti-gay organization like the Family Research Council - and flaunted that note on social media. All within their rights, but pretty darn petty.

I give them a thumbs down for the Instagram.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   
*shrug* Their money to do with as they see fit.

Maybe bakers and other catering companies could be proactive with things like this. On the front door of their business they could hang a sign that says "All proceeds from forceful catering of a same sex union or reception will be 100% donated to the National Organization for Marriage", then let the buyer beware.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Huh, didn't see your post. Anyways a taunting after the fact (especially on social media) is tacky, but a notification up front would be just fine in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

I certainly don't support Trump, so I'm not broken-hearted about what they did, but it would upset me a little more if say, this was a bakery, and the owners sold a wedding cake to a gay couple, then sent them a note that they were taking the proceeds from the cake and donating it to a anti-gay organization like the Family Research Council - and flaunted that note on social media.

Yes, I'd agree -- mostly/especially whereas Ivanka has made her political positions public and herself a public person, such an act by the bakery would be public harassment of a private transaction with private individuals. Not cool at all.

All within their rights, but pretty darn petty.

Yup! That about sums it up. If they want to be that person on the world stage, okay. (Referring to the jewelers -- NOT the bakers!)

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu
*shrug* Their money to do with as they see fit.

Agreed. Pretty much stated as much in the OP. That wasn't what I took exception too. Also stated in the OP.

Maybe bakers and other catering companies could be proactive with things like this. On the front door of their business they could hang a sign that says "All proceeds from forceful catering of a same sex union or reception will be 100% donated to the National Organization for Marriage", then let the buyer beware.

I wouldn't have a problem with that. In that same spirit (kinda sorta), I would much rather see such bakeries have to post a public notice that they do not serve same sex unions or vice versa, and let people take their dollars elsewhere if they choose, than to force anyone to serve anyone in any way. Let freedom -- and the free market -- work.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
I wouldn't have a problem with that. In that same spirit (kinda sorta), I would much rather see such bakeries have to post a public notice that they do not serve same sex unions or vice versa, and let people take their dollars elsewhere if they choose, than to force anyone to serve anyone in any way. Let freedom -- and the free market -- work.

I'd prefer that too, but we currently live in a hyper litigious society with people that would rather destroy a person's livelihood with onerous lawsuits instead of walk down the street to another store that would cater to personal whims.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I agree with the free market.
I expect these pipsqueaks will lose a bit of business.
I experienced a similar situation a few years ago at our local Farmers' Market. I had written a letter to the editor of the local paper taking some local and state Democrats to task for shady business dealings. One of the market vendors took offense because he's a big Dem supporter. I had been purchasing from his stall for a long time but when I walked up to his stall on that particular morning he announced in a loud voice---"We don't sell to Republicans." Because I had criticized his party he immediately assumed I was of the other party. I smiled at him and said, "Wow, that's good to know but you'll not be getting any of this independent's money in the future either." Now it's true that I didn't spend a lot of money each weekend but I was consistent.
After about a month of ignoring his stall completely his wife approached me to say, "You know he was only joking with you, don't you?" I thought that was strange but I told her I just couldn't appreciate his brand of humor. Later I was told by the vendor next to him that several other vendors had approached him and said, "I guess you don't want my Republican dollars." after his outburst to me.
That was just one little outburst in the local Farmers' Market but they felt the repercussions because I and others had choices to make about whose products we bought. He and his wife have every right to be good Democrats and support their party. I have every right to take my business elsewhere.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

Because I had criticized his party he immediately assumed I was of the other party. I smiled at him and said, "Wow, that's good to know but you'll not be getting any of this independent's money in the future either."

I love it. Took the wind right out of his sails -- and he hopefully learned a valuable lesson. Lots of lessons. About making assumptions. About labeling people. About the free market. And about free will. Lots of lessons to learn there!

There are always better ways to support one's causes than being hateful and hurtful to anyone that disagrees.

top topics

join