It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why don't christians follow the laws of Leviticus and kill homosexuals, adulterers, etc.?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: NOTurTypical

So you are saying those laws are still in effect for "the children of Israel"?

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Matrixsurvivor

So do you think there should be any type of punishment for murder, stealing, assault, rape etc? And if so then why and who should be performing the punishment? And are ones who are giving the sentences for people who have done these things evil for doing so? Or do you that a loving God would want people punished for murdering, stealing, raping, child molesting etc? Just want to know your stance on this..

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

So then my question is: Why aren't Jews doing all this?

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 11:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
So, you actually want Christians to act like Muslims?

I don't want them to do anything other than explain why they don't when their god commands them to.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

So the verse I posted is a lie? Mistranslated? Incorrect?

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

So then my question is: Why don't the Jews follow this law? The earth is still here. And why do christians follow a book that was written to Jews?

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: SanitySearcher
a reply to: craig732

I give this the most ignorant post award of 2016. For his next trick Craig732 will ask why blacks don't have white skins.

Congratulations for being the first person in this thread to start with the insults. I am actually surprised it took to page 4 to start.

So how about now making a positive contribution to the thread? Maybe refute me with facts if you feel I have said something "ignorant". Please, enlighten me.

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: AaronOfEther

I have been through all that. I was raised catholic. As a teenager I became "born again" I truly believed in it all at that time. With all my heart. But the "holy spirit" never spoke to me. I was in a class once that taught people to speak in tongues by being filled with the holy spirit. I faked it. Several other people in the class admitted they faked it too. So I truly believed, I asked, and was not answered. That was god's perfect opportunity to hook me in forever and he did not answer. Why?

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 12:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

So why don't the jews follow it? And why do christians follow a book written with instructions that are not for them?
edit on 23-8-2016 by craig732 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 12:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fahrenheit

Because gods heart wasn't in it, only humans like to murder each other.

I think you need to go back and give the bible a re-read. God killed MILLIONS.

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

So why don't jews do it, and why do christians follow a book written for jews?

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

Exactly. And the earth still has not "passed". So the law should still be in effect, no??

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 12:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: enterthestage

You can follow them...by doing the 2 Jesus simplified them into.

Only Jews ever were bound by the 613+10 until Jesus came. Knowing that they had been misinterpreted them (Jews) he taught the correct mode of keeping ALL of the Torah. Not just the 10+613, the whole Torah.

Please explain how "kill homosexuals and adulterers", when simplified, becomes "love thy neighbor".

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 12:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: JourneymanWelder
because we dont live in the stone ages anymore? is it really that hard to grasp that we can be better?

So then why follow any of the book if you have evolved and learned there is a better way of doing things than what was written in that book? Doesn't it make the whole book suspect? Why claim to be a follower of that particular religion if you have evolved and learned there is a better way?

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 12:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: craig732

I was in a class once that taught people to speak in tongues by being filled with the holy spirit. I faked it. Several other people in the class admitted they faked it too. So I truly believed, I asked, and was not answered. That was god's perfect opportunity to hook me in forever and he did not answer. Why?

Well, if you're willing to lie about your spiritual experiences (for whatever reason), what does that say about your intent to follow His guidance?

Being truthful in all we do is an explicit commandment (one we all innately know the legitimacy of without being told), which you completely disregarded in that particular instance.

Do you see what I'm getting at?

Can you really say "I believe" if you're willing to lie about believing?
edit on 8+23+16 by AaronOfEther because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Since you bring up the Leviticus laws, it should be said that this part of the law of Moses is called the ceremonial laws and is mostly about what the priesthood should and should not do in regards to the religious ceremonies. The Levites were the priests, and Leviticus is the laws for the priesthood limiting what they could and could not do ceremonially.

In the areas around where Moses and the others went, it was actually not uncommon with ceremonial sex and orgies, performed in front of the crowds, with just about anything that could eat and walk, including sex with children, same-sex and animal sex. The Leviticus laws had to contain paragraphs about this, simply because such religious orgies or sexual ceremonies and festivals were not uncommon.

Thus, we are not talking about homosexuality preference in general, or even zoophilia or pedophilia, but ceremonial sex, performed-- and not as acts of love, but rather acts of twisted religious doctrine.

You won't have a hard time finding Jews or Christians who would cite the Leviticus laws to condemn homosexuality as per se, but it doesn't really hold water, since as a law, Leviticus 18 is confined to the priesthood and related to pagan customs and ceremonies, not sexual preference-- or like the particular text says in its ending phrase (Leviticus 18:30):

“....keep my charge never to practice any of these abominable customs that were practiced before you, and never to make yourselves unclean by them: I am the LORD your God.”

Leviticus 18 describes religious doctrine God finds abominable.
edit on 23-8-2016 by Utnapisjtim because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: craig732

originally posted by: enterthestage

You can follow them...by doing the 2 Jesus simplified them into.

Only Jews ever were bound by the 613+10 until Jesus came. Knowing that they had been misinterpreted them (Jews) he taught the correct mode of keeping ALL of the Torah. Not just the 10+613, the whole Torah.

Please explain how "kill homosexuals and adulterers", when simplified, becomes "love thy neighbor".

"The Torah and Prophets are built on Love."

Said Jesus. Now when he says this your question is as relevant as to his commandments simplified or corrected. The scriptures weren't supposed to be literally believed they are meant to teach and correct evil.

"How?" (to answer your question)

It doesn't. It's an archaic human law that someone put in the Bible a million years ago when they believed that it was what God wanted. They love God so much that they would kill anyone who violates "his" laws.

Love isn't always rational or kind to others but it's love nonetheless.
edit on 23-8-2016 by enterthestage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
a reply to: enterthestage

So go build an Ark.

Why do you say this?

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Sorry it took so long to get back to this. Personal reasons.

I am sorry, did say Peter reminds you of Josephus somehow? I have never thought about that.

It has been claimed that Peter was supposed to be the apostle to the Gentiles. That claim comes from book of Acts. Book of Acts is a sort of myth written long after the events to give a plausible chain of events leading up to the time it was written, probably using some oral tradition.

John 21:17He saith unto him the third time, Simon,'son of John, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.

18Verily, verily, I say unto thee, When thou wast young, thou girdedst thyself, and walkedst whither thou wouldest: but when thou shalt be old, thou shalt stretch forth thy hands, and another shall gird thee, and carry thee whither thou wouldest not. 19Now this he spake, signifying by what manner of death he should glorify God. And when he had spoken this, he saith unto him, Follow me.

20Peter, turning about, seeth the disciple whom Jesus loved following; who also leaned back on his breast at the supper, and said, Lord, who is he that betrayeth thee? 21Peter therefore seeing him saith to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man do? 22Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? Follow thou me. 23This saying therefore went forth among the brethren, that that disciple should not die: yet Jesus said not unto him, that he should not die; but, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee?

This Jesus seems to be offering Peter the opportunity to immediately follow Jesus to wherever it is he was going, the Father's house or maybe Peter should die right then and there or something of the sort. Peter instead "turned about" and didn't follow Jesus. Since he didn't follow, the word that he would be taken prisoner and carried away in his older days kicked in, from AD 30ish to AD 68ish would have made him 38ish years older at the time of the Great Rebellion. Proto-Josephus.

John 10:1Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the fold of the sheep, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.
10The thief cometh not, but that he may steal, and kill, and destroy: I came that they may have life, and may have it abundantly.

11I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd layeth down his life for the sheep. 12He that is a hireling, and not a shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, beholdeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth, and the wolf snatcheth them, and scattereth them : 13he fleeth because he is a hireling, and careth not for the sheep.
16And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice: and they shall become one flock, one shepherd. 17Therefore doth the Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I may take it again. 18No one taketh it away from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again.

Jesus was saying that he could lay down his life and take it up again. When he was talking to Peter later, he seems to have been offering that to Peter so that he could follow Jesus. But Peter chose not to, like the hireling running away. He could have laid down his life, if he trusted Jesus to give it back so that he could follow Jesus to feed these other sheep that are mentioned, but no.

Paul wrote,

6But from those who were reputed to be somewhat (whatsoever they were, it maketh no matter to me: God accepteth not man's person)— they, I say, who were of repute imparted nothing to me: 7but contrariwise, when they saw that I had been intrusted with the gospel of the uncircumcision, even as Peter with the gospel of the circumcision 8(for he that wrought for Peter unto the apostleship of the circumcision wrought for me also unto the Gentiles); 9and when they perceived the grace that was given unto me, James and Cephas and John, they who were reputed to be pillars, gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship, that we should go unto the Gentiles, and they unto the circumcision; 10only they would that we should remember the poor; which very thing I was also zealous to do.

Paul didn't neglect the Ebionites(the poor), he collected money from Gentiles to send to the poor. How about Peter?
According to Acts 4&5, there was a sort of commune running with landholders selling property and putting the money at the feet of the apostles. Kind of like following the words of Jesus about selling all that you have and giving it to the poor in order to gain eternal life.

Acts 5:3But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thy heart to lie to the Holy Spirit, and to keep back part of the price of the land? 4While it remained, did it not remain thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thy power? How is it that thou hast conceived this thing in thy heart? thou has not lied unto men, but unto God. 5And Ananias hearing these words fell down and gave up the ghost:
7And it was about the space of three hours after, when his wife, not knowing what was done, came in. 8And Peter answered unto her, Tell me whether ye sold the land for so much. And she said, Yea, for so much. 9But Peter'said unto her, How is it that ye have agreed together to try the Spirit of the Lord? behold, the feet of them that have buried thy husband are at the door, and they shall carry thee out. 10And she fell down immediately at his feet, and gave up the ghost:
11And great fear came upon the whole church, and upon all that heard these things.

So that's the sort of way that Peter chose to feed the sheep. And that's the sort of spirit he had.

Stephen was a Hellenized Judahite. He was one of the seven deacons chosen to distribute food and such because the Hellenized Judahites were being left out. There was great prejudice against the Hellenized among the ranks of "undefiled Judahites". When Stephen was killed, the Church scattered. But the apostles stayed in Jerusalem. Interesting. Friends in high places? Obviously.

Peter was also a great hypocrite.

Galatians 2:11But when Cephas came to Antioch, I resisted him to the face, because he stood condemned. 12For before that certain came from James, he ate with the Gentiles; but when they came, he drew back and separated himself, fearing them that were of the circumcision. 13And the rest of the Jews dissembled likewise with him; insomuch that even Barnabas was carried away with their dissimulation. 14But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Cephas before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest as do the Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, how compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?

It reminds me of a riddle:

When you go fishing with a Baptist, how do you keep him from drinking all your beer?

answer: You invite two Baptists.

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: pthena
Sorry it took so long to get back to this. Personal reasons.

I am sorry, did say Peter reminds you of Josephus somehow? I have never thought about that.

It has been claimed that Peter was supposed to be the apostle to the Gentiles. That claim comes from book of Acts. Book of Acts is a sort of myth written long after the events to give a plausible chain of events leading up to the time it was written, probably using some oral tradition.

John 21:17He saith unto him the third time, Simon,'son of John, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my

20Peter, turning about, seeth m Jesus loved following; who also leaned en, that that disciple should not die: yet Jesus said not unto him, that he should not die; but, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee?

This Jesus seems to be offering Peter the opportunity to immediately follow Jesus to wherever it is he was going, the Father's house or maybe Peter should die right then and there or something of the sort. Peter instead "turned about" and didn't follow Jesus. Since he didn't follow, the word that he would be taken prisoner and carried away in his older days kicked in, from AD 30ish to AD 68ish would have made him 38ish years older at the time of the Great Rebellion. Proto-Josephus.

John 10:1Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the fold of the sheep, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.
10The thief cometh not, but that he may steal, and kill, and destroy: I came that they may have life, and may have it abundantly.

Peter was admired by the Ebionites who produced some great Apocrypha about him and a Roman disciple of his. Point is that the closest to the Messiah disciples, the Ebionites of Jerusalem, respected him so I think he is properly vouched for in Righteousness as Cephas the Rock of Rome and beyond.

I see no likeness to Josephus who is of questionable character and Paul is closer in type and incidents like the previously mentioned shipwreck.

11I am t,re good shepherd: the good shepherd layeth down his life for the sheep. 12He that is a hireling, and not a shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, beholdeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth, and the wolf snatcheth them, and scattereth them : 13he fleeth because he is a hireling, and careth not for the sheep.
16And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice: and they shall become one flock, one shepherd. 17Therefore doth the Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I may take it again. 18No one taketh it away from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again.

Jesus was saying that he could lay down his life and take it up again. When he was talking to Peter later, he seems to have been offering that to Peter so that he could follow Jesus. But Peter chose not to, like the hireling running away. He could have laid down his life, if he trusted Jesus to give it back so that he could follow Jesus to feed these other sheep that are mentioned, but no.

Peter was crucified upside down. His request. His family was killed too. Peter did more than those few Biblical mysteries that are far more than simple mistakes but either way I sense anti Petrine sentiments.??? Peter was greater than Paul and so was James. Everyone is better than Paul he was an Apostate that the Ebionites rejected which got them on the "Heretics" list and eventually they were "eliminated."

This is documented. Historically by the heresiologists about Paul how they rejected him as apostate

Paul wrote,

6But from those who werewhen they saw that I had been intrusted with the gospel of the uncircumcision, even as Peter with the gospel of the circumcision 8(for he that wrought for Peter unto the apostleship of the circumcision wrought for me also unto the Gentiles); 9and when they perceived the grace that was given unto me, James and Cephas and John, they who were reputed to be pillars, gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship, that we should go unto the Gentiles, and they unto the circumcision; 10only they would that we should remember the poor; which very thing I was also zealous to do.

Paul didn't neglect the Ebionites(the poor), he collected money from Gentiles to send to the poor. How about Peter?
According to Acts 4&5, there was a sort of commune running with landholders selling property and putting the money at the feet of the apostles. Kind of like following the words of Jesus about selling all that you have and giving it to the poor in order to gain eternal life.

Acts 5:3But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thy heart to lie to the Holy Spirit, and to keep back part of the price of the land? 4While it remained, did it not remain thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thy power? How is it that thou hast conceived this thing in thy heart? thou has not lied unto men, but unto God. 5And Ananias hearing these words fell down and gave up the ghost:
7And it was about the space of three hours after, when his wife, not knowing what was done, came in. 8And Peter answered unto her, Tell me whether ye sold the land for so much. And she said, Yea, for so much. 9But Peter'said unto her, How is it that ye have agreed together to try the Spirit of the Lord? behold, the feet of them that have buried thy husband are at the door, and they shall carry thee out. 10And she fell down immediately at his feet, and gave up the ghost:
11And great fear came upon the whole church, and upon all that heard these things.

So that's the sort of way that Peter chose to feed the sheep. And that's the sort of spirit he had.

Stephen was a Hellenized Judahite. He was one of the seven deacons chosen to distribute food and such because the Hellenized Judahites were being left out. There was great prejudice against the Hellenized among the ranks of "undefiled Judahites". When Stephen was killed, the Church scattered. But the apostles stayed in Jerusalem. Interesting. Friends in high places? Obviously.

Peter was also a great hypocrite.

Galatians 2:11But wheseparated himself, fearing them that were of the circumcision. 13And the rest of the Jews dissembled likewise with him; insomuch that even Barnabas was carried away with their dissles, and not as do the Jews, how compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?

It reminds me of a riddle:

When you go fishing with a Baptist, how do you keep him from drinking all your beer?

answer: You invite two Baptists

Paul, Paul, Paul. He didn't neglect the Ebionites, you are right he CURSED them and every follower of the "other gospel" unless you take the make believe stance that his beef in Galatians and Acts with James, John and Peter and his constant blatant and subtle (depending on if he needs to use their authority) insults against James and the Apostles just wasn't about them even though names are mentioned.
Why is this a polemic against Peter pro Paul? You think he is a hero?
edit on 23-8-2016 by enterthestage because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join