It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why don't christians follow the laws of Leviticus and kill homosexuals, adulterers, etc.?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Shows the worst side of the bible and the best side of the christians.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Your debate is pointless as trying to change faith with logic goes against the definition of faith.

One day we'll all realise that each of us is God in our own way. Heaven is here, now. Hell is here, now. - you get to see the one you chose or one of the many, many shades of grey in between.

Sometimes scripture gets quoted as fact, sometimes non-contextual, sometimes it can be enlightening - depends on who's doing the quoting.

I am a man of science, but I also bear a conscienceness which is far beyond those of the other creatures on my planet, there must be a unique practical use for this. I wish humans would just be less self-involved.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aedaeum
a reply to: craig732

First of all, it is my opinion that the bible is NOT the verbatim word of God. That being said, the Levitical law exists because man cannot contain his bloodlust. That is my opinion of course.

Star for you, friend. That's very true.
I did some research into when Leviticus was probably written in the 6th century BCE. It's not for sure, but it was probably written either after the Babylonian exile or maybe some during. It wasn't written by Moses, but by the Levite priests.
This of course gets into the Documentary Hypothesis, which attributes parts of the Torah written by different authors ...ie. the Yahwest, the Deuteronomist, the Priests, and the Elohists. There were also the "redactors" who probably tried to blend many of these stories together to show uniformity.
However, since what we call the Old Testament has been written over many, many, years, you still find the contradictions between the different authors. That's why there are two accounts of Creation (Gen. 1 and then starting Gen. 2:3). There are many other contradictions and inconsistencies.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: enterthestage

Neither.

I don't agree with homosexuality. But in this day I am not commanded to kill them or adulterers.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Sorry while there may have been a mixed group of hearers his ministry was to the lost sheep of Israel only.

You are not in the position to correct anyone seeing you fail to rightly divide the word of truth, nor believe ALL the preserved word of God or that there is such a thing

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Sorry while there may have been a mixed group of hearers his ministry was to the lost sheep of Israel only.

You are not in the position to correct anyone seeing you fail to rightly divide the word of truth, nor believe ALL the preserved word of God or that there is such a thing

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Try showing the Bible verse that supports your claim. 10 to 1 it is extra biblical and not found in the preserved word of God.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI
They follow some and not others because it does not apply to them. Leviticus is for Israel not Gentiles or Jews saved today.

But you reject Paul's teaching and explanation for homosexuality and that he never instruct the church to kill homosexuals and adulterers.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Because it was 1000 b.c and nobody understood readings except those few intellectual elites who practiced the word by heart and rephrased it everytime.

It was also to show fear for a God so he could remove all polytheism and become one monotheistic God.

Without the bible we would still be stupid and sacrificing babies and women and children and men, if it wasn't for Jesus as the first and last religion. Consider yourself lucky to be living now instead of those times.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn
That was just a supplementary answer.
My main, considered answer was in my first post on this thread when I DID quote Paul's teaching;

The short answer to your question is;
"Now we are discharged from the law, dead to that which held us captive, so that we serve not under the old written code [e.g. Leviticus] but in the new life of the Spirit"- Romans ch7 v6.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELIactually I thought I was replying to the reincarnation of gnosisisfaith 101 enterthestage.

Anyway, almost everyone over looks Romans 1:18-31 in considering why people turn to homosexuality. It is God's will and purpose because they have rejected God and failed to retain him in their hearts and knowledge.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: luciferslight

Without the bible we would still be stupid and sacrificing babies and women and children and men, if it wasn't for Jesus as the first and last religion. Consider yourself lucky to be living now instead of those times.

Are you for real?? The Native Americans didn't sacrifice babies. They respected nature, lived in harmony with it, and when they did kill an animal for food, they asked it's forgiveness and didn't waste any of it.
Then, here comes the "white man" who slaughtered them, slaughtered the buffalo (just for target practice), stole their lands, and told them they needed to convert to Christianity since THEY were the heathens.
That's just one example.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
a reply to: DISRAELIactually I thought I was replying to the reincarnation of gnosisisfaith 101 enterthestage.

Anyway, almost everyone over looks Romans 1:18-31 in considering why people turn to homosexuality. It is God's will and purpose because they have rejected God and failed to retain him in their hearts and knowledge.

That is complete and utter Bull****.
My best friend is gay. He almost died several years ago and had an NDE. During that NDE, he encountered a being of complete love, and when he asked who this being was, it said, "Elohim".
Since then, all he does is seek to know God more. He has been rejected by Christians, by many in the homosexual community, and yet still strives to know Jesus and the Father. He's also a vegetarian, since he doesn't believe in hurting another being just so he can satisfy his tastebuds. AND HE'S STILL GAY!! He has more compassion and love for others than most people I've met, and that includes Christians.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Just skip past the Ten Commandments.....Thou Shall not murder.... Skip past the part where Jesus says love your enemy.Skip past the part where Jesus says to pray for everyone.

Nevermind in reailty the muslims mass murder homosexuals and the christians do not like it and have called it out.

Nevermind homosexuals tramping on top of christians when they refuse to marry them,what happened to christians rights of faith and religion?

Forget it that christians never even existed back in the old teestament days and it was really jewish laws.

Classic bible scripture jumping to scorn people and generalize everyone.

The old laws where fullfilled but are not still in effect read more of the bible and not cherry pick through stuff.Jesus did not come to stop the old laws he came to fullfill them.
edit on 21-8-2016 by Jobeycool because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: NOTurTypical

originally posted by: enterthestage
a reply to: NOTurTypical

I have been reading a few of your answers and I don't think issue is you I think you need to find a better Bible teacher because you just said that Leviticus was only for Levite priests.

There is no more Levitcal priesthood and it is still in the Bible so whether or not it was ever only for Levites it's in the Bible now. That response had to have been taught you by a pastor who is not so good at the Bible.

No, it's part of basic Biblical hermeneutics. It's taking the texts in context, and one of the fundamental ways to do that is identify the group of people the speaker was writing to so you don't misapply what was being said. Leviticus was written to instruct the Levite priests and God told Moses to address it to the children of Israel to follow. (Is says this in the first few verses)

The same glaring problem arises in the NT where people think the book of James is at odds with John chapter 3 or Ephesians chapter 2. It's not, James is writing to believers, not the unsaved. It's not an evangelistic letter, James is a pastoral one. In layman's terms, James isn't telling his readers how to be saved, he is telling them how saved people should act or in other words, the evidence of genuine faith.

Correct contextual application is crucial component to accurately dividing the word of God so errors aren't applied.

Fun fact, the word Hermeneutics is associated with Hermes Trismegistus or Mercury to the Romans, Thoth to the Egyptians because they were guardians or gods of wisdom.

It's just funny that people use that word without realizing why. Hermes is like Jesus in so many ways and Christianity has no idea who he is but loves his Hermeneutics.

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   

It basically means "theory of interpretation".

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: craig732

uh, because if we did, then our lives would be forfeit because we are supposed to love one another--not kill one another.

and, we're all sinners. We all have our vices. So we are in no position to judge anyone, not even ourselves, really.

The Muslim extremists think it's cool to do, though. And I think that's sick in the head and EVIL.

Being an extremist is the only way one could warrant doing these things--and by being an extremist, one is wrong. Being extreme for things like that never works out well for anyone.
edit on 21-8-2016 by rukia because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: NOTurTypical

I know what it means (obvious as I would not know the root of the word and not its definition) so your not telling me anything I don't know but likely are trying to save face as someone who just unwillingly learned something from someone who you don't want to learn anything from, a non Christian.

I recommend you read more, not just you everyone. Christians have a tendency to see evil where there is none and especially in harmless educational and philosophical books.

Your screen name implies that your not typical but I don't see that being the case. Branch out a bit and stop being a theology dependent Christian unless you want not to learn.

Friendly advice, thats all. You thought I knew the etymology of Hermeneutics but not the definition. On what planet is that a logical deduction?

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Wrong. "Make disciples of all nations baptizing in the name of the Father, Son and Spirit."

You must not read the Gospels. Now you know that isn't true though so 👏

This was AFTER his "lost sheep" remark which was early in his ministry and strategic.

There is no such thing as rightly dividing the "word of truth" and you didn't know Jesus said to make disciples of all nations so you are in no position, not me. I get it, you don't.

Truth is Universal, not exclusive.

If you were to divide the "word of truth" who gets what books, and who decides?
edit on 21-8-2016 by enterthestage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Neither.

I don't agree with homosexuality.

You don't agree meaning...?

But in this day I am not commanded to kill them or adulterers.

But you would if you weren't commanded not to (kill gays and adulterers)?

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join