It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why don't christians follow the laws of Leviticus and kill homosexuals, adulterers, etc.?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I know that most people will say that Jesus formed a new covenant and made the old laws obsolete.

But that view clearly contradicts Matthew 5:17-18:
17 “Don’t misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to accomplish their purpose. 18 I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not even the smallest detail of God’s law will disappear until its purpose is achieved.

So, keeping can anyone explain why they choose to follow certain parts of the bible, but ignore the laws that instruct you to kill a bunch of people, when Matthew 5:17-18 clearly states that the “old laws” are still in effect?

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   
oh man...you're plowing as deep as one can

next comes the ten commandments only...not the Moses laws.....given by himself?....or the 613 Jewish pomagranite seeds

I have this for us here on this topic, it's from the Holy Spirit...are the rules not written now....in our hearts....ha, that just hit me...

edit on 18-8-2016 by GBP/JPY because: our new King.....He comes right after a nicely done fake one

edit on 18-8-2016 by GBP/JPY because: last minute thought there....yezz

+22 more 
posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: craig732
I know that most people will say that Jesus formed a new covenant and made the old laws obsolete.

17 “Don’t misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to accomplish their purpose. 18 I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not even the smallest detail of God’s law will disappear until its purpose is achieved.

So, keeping can anyone explain why they choose to follow certain parts of the bible, but ignore the laws that instruct you to kill a bunch of people, when Matthew 5:17-18 clearly states that the “old laws” are still in effect?

Because Jesus didn't support the corrupted Torah the Priests were teaching, nor did He support the "laws of Yahweh".
If you really pay attention, every law that Yahweh had in place, Jesus violated. He touched the "unclean", He hung out with those considered "sinners", He hung out with women (big no-no at that time and era), He broke the Sabbath, He did a whole bunch of stuff that violated the laws all throughout the Torah.
Most Christians don't even know what those laws were from Yahweh. They've just been told by their church or pastor (or other Christians) that "Jesus fulfilled all the law, thus He could be the perfect spotless lamb and die in our place for our sins".
That's called being spoon fed what to believe.
Jesus taught "do not judge", "love your enemies", "treat others the way you want to be treated", "be merciful", and a whole myriad of other things that totally go against the god of the OT.
No wonder people were amazed at His teachings.
Jesus summed it all up in two commandments..."Love God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength...and love your neighbor as yourself". He said ALL the Law and the Prophets hinged on those two commands. So, my question is this, why the heck didn't Yahweh say that in the first place?

edit on 18-8-2016 by Matrixsurvivor because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 11:12 PM
link   
dude that's excellent ,.. original thought....a reply to: Matrixsurvivor

edit on 18-8-2016 by GBP/JPY because: yessirrr

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: GBP/JPY

Thanks, lol. Oh, and I'm a dudette.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 11:25 PM
link   
The books of the Bible were written by imperfect humans. How many are 100% accurate in what's said and taught?

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 11:31 PM
link   
just saw....vs 17 said come to fulfill their purpose...

hmm
the

law only counted for 2000 years.

the first two thousand there was no law.....then the 2000 years up till Jesus after Moses gave the laws, 10 anyway, or were there 15 and one tablet got dropped....I saw that in a movie ya know .... and then the church age...just about 2000 years within 5 minutes. the law was what...made to show sin, otherwise one doesn't know of the concept exactly, without the law showing oneself about that.

law showed us that we were yes, possibly able to be classified as....dang....sinners

islamm, catholic and Judah.....live with this because they don't know.....know for a fact their in the book of life?

they don't know the message ... forgiveness

it's the hardest thing, we still struggle with it but there' that one group that knows they are going to be invincible.

that brings us to this .....the final day, ok?

that's the day you want to know you are in a rapore with God.

otherwise you will be screaming in horror because it will be plain as the nose on our faces...that God is doing His final day.....

hey, He doesn't want you out of the loop....now ya know what to expect....no need for screaming on the infamous documented in Scripture ....Day of the Lord.....( yes, it's huge in the readings )

edit on 18-8-2016 by GBP/JPY because: you have to read it to get this

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Perhaps it is due to people using their brains and not blindly following words written by men 2000 years ago. That, in many case conflict each other, and do not embrace the "...love thy neighbor as thyself" mantra. It took how many thousands of years for that revelation, and surviving through the terrible inquisition period, for people to realize this.

I can only hope other religions can reach the same conclusion that blindly following a book written at a time and place that no longer exists, and trusting in your own mind can work just as well. But, it's not for everyone I guess.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 11:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Matrixsurvivor

Thanks, lol. Oh, and I'm a dudette.
hey

do you have any idea that post of yours should I swear be a " sticky "....the best display of cerebral horsepower ever seen in the religion forum

edit...radio edit....would it be ok if I tell my friends I came up with that??.....he...he
edit on 18-8-2016 by GBP/JPY because: our new King.....He comes right after a nicely done fake one

edit on 18-8-2016 by GBP/JPY because: last minute thought there....yezz

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 11:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: craig732

Because Jesus fulfilled the Levitical Law. That is why He stopped the Pharisees from stoning the adulteress.

Matt 5:18“For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.

All of the Law was Accomplished/Fulfilled when Jesus died on the cross for our sins. So the answer to your question is in the verse you cited.
edit on 19-8-2016 by BELIEVERpriest because: added point.

+14 more 
posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 12:07 AM
link   
What I'm trying to figure out is why you're criticizing Christians for not killing people.

I would hope you'd applaud the idea that our understanding and application of moral principles can evolve and mature over time.

You seem to perceive it as mere inconsistency, and therefore evidence of falsehood.

I see it as spiritual growth, and therefore evidence of an active divine presence in the world.

But that's just me, and this is my first post. Hi, everyone!

edit on 8+19+16 by AaronOfEther because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 12:07 AM
link   
for the trekkies out there....

yes, we wage war, we are always warlike... on those we disagree with, but we choose not to do it today......Capt. Kirk
edit on 19-8-2016 by GBP/JPY because: our new King.....He comes right after a nicely done fake one

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 12:27 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 12:43 AM
link   
what a great individual.....clear thinking, too

I like that...helps me

glad to meet ya!!

a reply to: AaronOfEther

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Because it's RUDE,ILLEGAL and really, I won't have it.
BAD Christian...
edit on 19-8-2016 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 01:10 AM
link   
a reply to: craig732

Perhaps because they aren't officers of the court legally empowered to carry out those punishments.

Despite that fact, all sin is equally liable under Old testament Law. One punishment for all.

Even in the Old Testament times, if you went about killing people, you were a murderer.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 01:21 AM
link   

for the trekkies out there....

yes, we wage war, we are always warlike... on those we disagree with, but we choose not to do it today......Capt. Kirk

Yep. Kirk was addressing President ANAN of planet Eminiar Seven. That was Jim Kirk's response, after he changed his mind about destroying all life living on the planet.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 01:49 AM
link   
You can tell that the Law had been fulfilled by events after the Resurrection. Had it not been, the great commission would have been "take the Law to all the peoples of the Earth" not spread the gospel to all people of the Earth. Dietary and circumcision aspects of Jewish law were specifically addressed in the New Testament, as well as sexual immorality that the OP specifically mentions. Nowhere in the New Testament does it call for the death of those that practice such sins. It does call for denunciation, separation, and repentance. As Christians we are to call people out of their sin, and leave the judgment to God. That's not to say that there should be no societal punishment for things like murder, theft, and other crimes that a society must punish in order to survive, but Spiritual Salvation is available to the worst of us if only we repent and acknowledge the sacrifice of Our Lord for those sins. A society that put to death a murderer even after he repented is not culpable for his death, as those consequences imposed by society are the result of his sinful actions. However, human institutions may only punish anyone here and now, and not eternally.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 02:06 AM
link   
From my point of view.

At least in this case the Christians who refuse to follow what the bible tells them when it is insane are following the golden rule better than the ones who wrote the bible.

Many Christians think the bible is inspired by god/divine and dislike those who goes literal meaning. Maybe they inside know about objective to subjective degradation that happens when information is translated between unconscious to conscious. How synchronicity and telepathic knowledge is manifested on this level of being.

While religion have not evolved spiritual knowledge the source of that spiritual knowledge have refined how humanity understand everything including itself.

Other culture have to make the same journey where they can question the holiness and choice of the words in scripture without being a heretic. From my point of view the divine seem to love souls who question things on all levels. Those who want to really understand how everything fits together. Seek and you shall find is a perfect example in the bible for that questioning.
edit on 19-8-2016 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 02:17 AM
link   
a reply to: craig732

Why do you suppose that many/most don't actually do so, or even want to?

There must be a reason, correct?

I'm gonna go with most believe there is no reason to, and that they aren't the unthinking sheep that so many seem to believe they are.

Leviticus is the word of God. According to who? Did God come down and speak to the compilers of the Old Testament as though they were Moses on the mountain? I doubt it.

Leviticus, and any and all religious teachings are merely mans interpretation of what they believe is the Word of God. Doesn't make it so. If it were actually the word of God, from his mouth to our ears, there wouldn't be any need for the various sects, creeds, and other nonsense that has caused so much wanton destruction.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join