It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mandela Effect: Real or Ridiculous?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 01:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phantom traveller
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

I believe that goes under the category of mass hysteria. Someone states something, which knows is a false information and then a second person due to misinterpretation or misinformation says that this is right and then you have a bunch of people "remembering" the same thing.

That cannot explain it as people remember clearly.

I have a crystal clear memory of reading berenstein over and over in the sick room at school. I was young and the cursive writing on the cover confused me.

This is answered the same as the JFK thing.

Everything ends in stein that I can think of off the top of my head and not stain.

When I recreate the picture in my head using "stain" when it is never used hurts my head so I just recreate "stein".
The Berenstains spent their lives correcting people because of this well before the ME term was phrased.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Remembering "Luke" instead of "No".

"Luke, I am your father" This is a good statement that's solid on it's own regardless of context.

"No, I am your father" This requires you to think of the preceding statement when you are just after the one quote and is obviously more difficult.

"No" makes my brain hurt so I use "Luke" and move on.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 02:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
I think it's legit.

I actually kinda feel sorry for anyone who instantly assumes it's a load of hogwash--where's the imagination? Where's the spirit? The world isn't only cold and logical, sorry--it's much more intricate than that. We live in a world that is just as abundant in creativity, as computations.

Where's the imagination?
Imagination is limited to what we can think of. Understanding the reality that is there instead of creating our own allows us to see far more than we can imagine.

Understanding what the Mandela Effect is, is a celebration of creativity not a denial of it.
It comes down the the very nature of how we think, it's really amazing when you look into it logically.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: gort51

Now the "Luke" business........Well once again, I lived thru that....NOONE cared WHAT Vader actually said to Luke......all we got out of the movie, was that No...Vader is Luke's Father... (which the rumours alluded too...all pre internet computer rubbish days)
No, during the 1980s we DIDNT run around querying why the "Mandela effect" (which didnt exist obviously) had chaged it from Luke to No.....
We watched the movie, Vader said he was Lukes dad...which we all suspected....and thats that.

Well as I recall, people did care about that quote, it was a very memorable part of the movie. Also the term Mandela Affect was coined in 2010, the phenomena seemed to explode around 2012-2013 with the whole stein/stain thing. That is one of the points I'm making, it seems very weird that no one would be arguing over these things until a very specific period of time, after which it seems a large portion of the population suddenly started to remember some things differently. I made a post in another thread speculating that the very origin of the phrase Mandela Affect could be subtly linked to the phenomena in some way. Mandela died shortly after the phenomena become a wide spread thing, it seems to me there is some sort of connection here.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 02:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Phantom traveller

I believe that goes under the category of mass hysteria. Someone states something, which knows is a false information and then a second person due to misinterpretation or misinformation says that this is right and then you have a bunch of people "remembering" the same thing.

No it's way too specific to be mass hysteria. I'm reading more into the JFK thing now and what I'm finding is absolutely mind blowing. Other people remember it EXACTLY as I do. I'm talking little details that could not possibly be the result of some made up fantasy. I can remember the raw footage in my head, not a recreation, the actual footage. It's four people, as I remember it the driver turns around just about the same time Kennedy is shot which spurred a lot of theories it could have been the driver. The driver being the shooter seemed to be a much more plausible theory in the reality I remember. I cannot even believe I'm speaking like there was another reality but I find it amazing that so many people remember it like I do, there's something definitely not right here. The following quotes from different YouTube videos are how it happened in the reality I remember:

Only four in car. A black Lincoln four door. After Jfk was shot, Jackie threw her self over him to protect him. My god she actually put her hands in his skull to keep his brains from falling out. She then fell on the trunk lid. Secret service man in street kept JFK from falling in street.I do not know wtf the rest of this is. !!!

what blew my mind is six people in the car there was only 4 people in the car and my reality dude where I come from there was never any talk of Jackie doing it either she freaked out and try to get out of the car climbing up the back of the trunk she was she wasn't even freaking out and that video not not like the one from our reality at all

I have seen the JFK death hundreds of times, it is different now. I remember stopping the video and going through it to see if it was the driver as some claimed, there was certainly nobody in between the driver and JFK, those 2 people just wasn't there (no doubt in my mind)and the way he got shot is different.. his wife obviously done it now but before and for years that was never thought of... and the amount of times it was seen, haha.. this and the bible being changed to the wolf (instead of lion) dwelling with the lamb!!! (wow) are the major things we cant get confused,, all the pop culture things.. possibly debatable.

Less than 12 hours ago I realized that my reality doesn't exist anymore. I don't know if they rewrote it, redid it or if I am seeing someone else's, but there was always only 4 people in that car. It was not a stretch limo, no center seat. There was never a theory that Jackie or Nellie were victims (especially because Nellie was never in that car). The last shot came from the grassy knoll area. In our reality the grassy knoll was where to look, not anyone in the car. His head goes back when he is shot

The JFK Limo with 6 people in it freaked me out. It made me almost feel as if I was dead seeing it. Because I had argued with a guy I think is a shill named Alan Lamont, telling him "Jackie did not shoot JFK". I saw the video many times, probably at least 100. But probably more like 200-300 times. ANd according to YouTube, I did the video maybe 3-4 years ago. So it seems like a recent effect, because I did not see 6 people in the vehicle when I did my video. I only saw 4. And I even remember asking my uncle about the names of all the people in the car, Greer, Connally, then Jackie and JFK in the back. I remember the plant in the car. But I do not recall Connally's wife being in the car at all or a second secret service person. I had to go look up the secret service person in the passenger seat, because I never saw him before.

I am pretty sure when I was debating with other people about various theories as to who shot JFK. We openly debated down the whole list, Greer, Connally, and Jackie. The final conclusion with the group I debated with, ruled out Jackie and Connaly, which left only the driver. But we all felt like you could not tell for sure in the video.

had there been a glass patrician, none of us would have considered the driver. And surely we would have also wondered if the other agent in the passenger seat could hve shot JFK. But that person never even came up a REMOTE possibility because I don't remember him even being in the car when we had the debate. Like we ran down the list even though I did not think Jackie shot JFK.

Considering me and several others never rewatched the video 100 times to see what the guy in the front passenger seat was doing, I doubt he was there. Does anyone remember watching the JFK assassination and watching that guy a few times in slow motion to see if he could have shot JFK? I never have.

That last quote is the most important, the video has completely changed to make it look as though the wife is the culprit instead of the driver. Even the trajectory of the bullet looks different, there's no way it could have come from the drivers direction. I don't see how it's possible for me and all these other people to remember a very specific version of events and all agree that's how it happened. I understand it's extremely hard for anyone who doesn't have these memories to take this seriously, but I urge you ask why the comments under many JFK videos are suddenly packed with people saying they remember only 4 people in the car. Mass hysteria is a cheap cop out, there's nothing to get hysterical about here, I'm just recalling events as I remember them.
edit on 19/8/2016 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Well my vote is very ridiculous especially since it is a nonsensical theory made up by Fiona Broome because she thought Mandela died in the 80's.

What I find even more ridiculous is the fact she is now marketing the phrase to sell on shirts...

mandelaeffect.com...

mandelaeffect.com...

So I think it is just a way for a ghost hunter...and that is what the lady who coined the phrase really is...to make money.

The first links were broken so I used these...nothing better when you can make money on a made up false memory.
edit on 19-8-2016 by tsurfer2000h because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 03:34 AM
link   

I think it's legit.

I actually kinda feel sorry for anyone who instantly assumes it's a load of hogwash--where's the imagination? Where's the spirit? The world isn't only cold and logical, sorry--it's much more intricate than that. We live in a world that is just as abundant in creativity, as computations.

Yes, I have been seeing this new location of our solar system in the Milky Way. I have always been schooled that we are on the outskirts of the galaxy.

Most ME 'proofs' are actually just re-merchandising of products over the years, and yes some are admittedly a mis-memory.

I trust my memory. I have an excellent memory. I think there is definitely something afoot here besides blaming faulty memory. I have experienced many inconsistencies that can't be explained by a faulty memory. Who says it has to be caused by time shifting? There could be any number of unknown things going on. We as a species have only been in the technological age how many decades now?

I really just don't understand why people instantly jump at the throat to tell someone it's ridiculous. There are many things about our reality and existence we aren't privy to. To think we know all the rules is a joke. That's the epitome of ridiculous right there, to say, "Ain't nothing new under the sun."

Ahhh. I see. Because we say this is stupid, that means we have no imagination and think there is nothing new under the sun.

Got it.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Most of the people who feel this is real probably won't come in here. They just get ridiculed. I have experienced some of the ME's myself. Something is going on, I just don't know what.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 03:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Yeah I can see all the usual suspects chiming in so they can boil this down to faulty memory, and I cannot really blame them for it. I do enjoy a good debate though, and I've yet to see anyone rebut some of the most important points I've made so far.
edit on 19/8/2016 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Could you clarify the most important points that haven't been rebutted?

Faulty memory is probably a bad explanation for it.
One of the insignificant floors of our highly complex and efficient memory is a better way to put it.

I've mentioned 3 ME's that I have experienced fully. The JFK one only minutes ago.
I thought I made reasonable arguments to explain the reality of the situation.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I agree mostly ridiculous.

I've posted in a few Mandela effect threads, it's an interesting topic but can't see any proof coming from it yet, to many ideas (decent/possible) theory's,,,I put it down to ether forgetfulness of a place or time like a déjà vu type deal, people's minds wander even when things are right in front of your face.

Still worth reading into or explaining a theory with others.
edit on 19-8-2016 by DarkvsLight29 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 05:28 AM
link   
What is ridiculous are the people that debate context of pop culture and urban legends as it was some sort of gospel to preach they know the truth. While ignoring the extensive science proving the fallibility of human memory and eyewitness accounts. The power of suggestion. The willingness to feed a hoax for personal amusement. Once the ME movement starts using scientific methodology, not tribal knowledge, will it be taken seriously.

It's as ridiculous as flat earth theory and the international space station is a hoax.

People should study the Cottingley Fairies to get a greater understanding of how a hoax becomes embedded in pop culture. en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 06:21 AM
link   

I think it's legit.

I really just don't understand why people instantly jump at the throat to tell someone it's ridiculous. There are many things about our reality and existence we aren't privy to. To think we know all the rules is a joke. That's the epitome of ridiculous right there, to say, "Ain't nothing new under the sun."

Welcome to the new generation of ATS where ANYTHING you say can and will be held against you.
edit on 19-8-2016 by Alundra because: hold = held

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Alundra

I think it's legit.

Welcome to the new generation of ATS where ANYTHING you say can and will be held against you.

In my timeline...

Twas always that way!

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: superman2012
As stated in many threads about this, a faulty memory combined with confirmation bias and stubborn people.

Yes, look at any thread and see for yourself which camp is the more stubborn

*rolls eyes til they get stuck that way*

Proof is in the pudding and personal anecdotal evidence has NEVER been considered evidence. Not here and not anywhere else. At least to people that believe in science. ME people have never produced any pudding. Only a couple ingredients.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I don't think ME is about time lines. The faulty memories are too consistent and reproduce in other persons too accurately to be caused by random time line jumping. I think ME is caused by people hacked by aliens, reprogram, and will be turned into a zombie army once the invasion begins. Also solves the problem of ME of the displaced persons victimized by the time line jumpers. There is no time line jumping.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Real for me as i remember Mirror Mirror on the wall , Pretend was not in the mammas and the pappas California dreaming version ,Billy Graham died 25 + YEARS AGO .

Earth was on the outskirts of the galaxy when i was a kid but for religious people to get some important bible verses wrong is a wtf moment , I have known people who could recite the bible from heart and they did frequently when i was young , no television just read the bible every moment they had , would not touch money on the sabbath or cook food type of people , I can remember making a stupid comment one day in my Aunts house in front of some of those people about Billy Grahams funeral on the television in her home and know i am told this did not happen --WTF , This embarrased me more than my grandmother playing the sex pistold frigging in the rigging instead of one of her holy records one day all her church chums were round the house .

I would love to say it is a faulty memory on my part but some little things you do stay with you

edit on 19/8/2016 by stonerwilliam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Really ridiculous...

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
OK this is getting silly.

All these topics are just a circle jerk with noone actually wanting to know the answer.
But I'm not giving up quite yet.

I've already explained 3 ME's. Maybe I'll try some more, I will limit this to ME's that I have personally experienced...

1) Interview with a vampire, Remembering with "a" vampire doesn't require thinking about who the vampire is. It's just any old vampire. Interview with "the" vampire requires you to remember which vampire it was. I remembered the easier and incorrect option.

2) The Flinstones, I probably just remember this how I say it and how I hear the song in my head. Just saying FlinTstones feels wrongs and it slows you down whilst saying it. I remembered the easier and incorrect option.

3) Sex in the City, this flows much better than Sex "and" the city and just like flintstones it is slower to say. Once again I remembered the easier and incorrect option.

4) Looney Toons, This is impacted a little by the term toon which grew in popularity. It loses a bit of it's luster when you consider the shows were called Merrie Melodies as well as looney tunes. But they are toons and they are looney and once again I remembered the easier and incorrect option.

5) Life is like a box of chocolates, when doing a silly voice like everyone did with this it's probably not a surprise we chose the one that is easier to say.

6) C-3P0's is one colour, His lower leg being silver is something I was sure I'd remember but surprisingly I remembered the easier and incorrect option

7) Silence of the Lambs, just found this one out now. I didn't realise it was "The" Silence of the Lambs. Definitely one of the weaker examples but still I remembered the easier and incorrect option.

With the 3 I already mentioned earlier, that's 10 examples of ME's that I have experienced.

Now here's the tricky part...
Can anyone see the pattern?
edit on 19-8-2016 by Krahzeef_Ukhar because: editing is fun

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

But people would rather feel special, put a use to their knowledge of pop culture, and be the chosen of time line jumping. ME has nothing to do with reasonable, simple, logical explanations.

Your mindful explanations will go ignored by the ME cult.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join