It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump: "I regret my words"

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: SudoNim

Because that is how politics work? Call it a deflection, but Hillary supporters are no different.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
Actually I have never defended any Trump mistakes.

Guess you missed the "anyone" in that sentence. So it affects your argument even if you were not one defending his mistakes.

I have defended him against those who would seek to create a mistake out of nothing in order to further a narrative, but that is very different.

If he accepts that the mistake was his and not just a fabrication by others to further a narrative then he is telling you that you defended his mistake, not anyone else, and it is not different at all, although you might feel the need for it to be.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
Seems to be the go to narrative when they run out of fake controversy to peddle.

Not for everyone so your blanket statement is untrue.

Of course you should already know that blanket statements usually are so, why toss one out there?

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99
a reply to: SudoNim

Because that is how politics work? Call it a deflection, but Hillary supporters are no different.

I didn't say they weren't.

Anyone who fits the description you posted I would class as ignorant.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: kruphix

You gotta stretch pretty far to make that assertion.

No, it wasn't an apology and we shouldn't expect one, but it was an admission of responsibility and regret.

You make a good point. For anyone already a "hater", one time at the mic won't be enough. It's a start, though.

The other part of the situation is the last part of his remarks. To say that you are genuinely sorry and feel regret and then close with a promise to always be up front and truthful means that dismissing the first part out of hand requires the assumption that he is being dishonest.

I'm not sure which step it is, but a guy I used to work with was in AA (Alcoholics Anonymous) and told me one of the Ten Steps was making a list of the people you'd hurt and going to them and making amends.

In the jaded world of politics, the usual scene plays out on TV with the politician at the mic and his long suffering wife standing silently at his side and the vast majority of those watching automatically assume it is just one more insincere bit of political theater attempting to save face.

Trump is trying to transition from the bare knuckle world of business to the highly orchestrated world of politics. Politicians learn to "do the dance" while keeping all the ugly realities behind closed doors. A good example is the overused "My good friend from [Name of State Here]" when the eye contact is obviously anything but... If nothing else, Trump's been refreshing because of his candor.

Only time will tell... There's an old joke, "How many psychologists (cognitive therapists) does it take to change a light bulb?" The answer is, "Only one but it will take time and the light bulb has to want to change."

What we've been getting out of Washington for the last few decades hasn't been all that beneficial to the country. I'm beginning to allow myself to hope, at least a little, that a fresh approach might get a chance. The L/R paradigm needed a good shaking up and the system is set up to shut out third or fourth parties before they can gain traction.
edit on 8 20 2016 by CornShucker because: added a few words for clarity

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   
When Donald Trump is actually in the wrong, Trump supporters say, "There's nothing wrong with it, he's just being honest!"

When Donald Trump admits he was in the wrong, Trump supporters say, "See, he's so righteous! Hillary should follow suit."

Does nobody but myself see the utter foolishness here? Both Hillary and Trump are full of BS but we're justifying either side as the "lesser of two evils". It's ridiculous.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: desert
a reply to: DJW001

If he reins it in and reads from a teleprompter like a zombie, he will lose all of his core supporters.

I'm not so sure. This is really starting to look more like a cult. Cult members will follow their leader, no matter what, because they can be manipulated and soothed by words. If we look at Germany and Japan in WW2, we really are witnessing a national cult, with a leader dealing in a fantastical vision for his followers.
-- snip --

Do you realize you just described over at least 85% (D + R) of the part of the population that votes regularly? Whenever I've had discussions with someone who, without a split-second of pause, says, "My family votes [Insert Either Party]" it has been very rare that they can talk intelligently on any of the issues or are familiar with any but the very top of their party. Often they don't even know That!

They just obediently go in and perform their "One & Done" duty. If there's the I chance I can snap even ONE voter out of their complacency, I'll continue to say it... Modify the machines to accommodate their limitations and you can teach the average barnyard fowl to vote a straight ticket!

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: WhateverYouSay

originally posted by: Abysha

originally posted by: slider1982
Imagine a scenario... Hillary and Trump where the captains of sinking ships, which one would you put your money on to help others and go down with the ship and which would be the first into a life boat??....

I also think Trump would have a f#cking amazing handshake, not that limp crap that the millenials use, a good firm look you in the eye handshake. The short of handshake that would seal the marriage to a daughter, the type of handshake that you get after a really good hard fought sports event where both of you ended up blooded and exhausted but the respect flows.. The type of handshake you get after stopping at the side of the road in the middle of no where to help a guy that hasn't got the right breaker bar for his truck to mend a flat but you do....
RA

Every example you gave sounds like it came from a Bush era Budweiser or Ford commercial.

How can sane people argue against people who think like this?!

You don't argue, you just look into Hillary Clinton's steel blue eyes, eyes that remind you of the rocky mountain sky or cracking open a Pabst Blue Ribbon - working man's beer. And you know when you look in her face that she's going to win whether you like it or not. God damn that's alpha - a real man's man woman.

You're proving my point. Are you so myopic that you assume I will vote for Hillary just because I see through Trump? Seriously?

And for the record, I didn't know the color of her eyes until you told me.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Translation: "I keep opening my big fat mouth without thinking...please vote for me, as I have no real chance"

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   

I heard this 'apology' too. But what I got from it was he is now playing a version of the conservative "Political Correctness" that is being imposed on him by the party supporters.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

You didn't actually assume I was serious did you?

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: SudoNim

Trump literally cannot lose his core supporters.

That is a true indication of how ignorant his core supporters are then.

Care to expand on that thought? WHY is that an indication of ignorance?

You implication is that Trump could do or say ANYTHING and not lose his core supporters.

That means they will blindly vote for him no matter what.

He could change his views, change his policies, make as many racist comments as he wants, insult people, incite violence and they will still vote for him.

You tell me how thats not ignorant.

Hillary is the same way though. she can go out and kill a kid too and still get elected.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: WhateverYouSay
a reply to: Abysha

You didn't actually assume I was serious did you?

Yes, because I'm the queen of satirical sarcasm and nobody else is allowed to do it. So shame on you.

ps - sorry. I actually thought you were serious, shame on me.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

Trump literally cannot lose his core supporters.

That is a true indication of how ignorant his core supporters are then.

Care to expand on that thought? WHY is that an indication of ignorance?

You implication is that Trump could do or say ANYTHING and not lose his core supporters.

That means they will blindly vote for him no matter what.

He could change his views, change his policies, make as many racist comments as he wants, insult people, incite violence and they will still vote for him.

You tell me how thats not ignorant.

Hillary is the same way though. she can go out and kill a kid too and still get elected.

Once again the answer to something Trump related is a completely irrelevant mention of Hillary.

Congratulations on furthering the Trump supporter stereotype.

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Wait, so your argument is that Trump is no better than Hillary?

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

Wait, so your argument is that Trump is no better than Hillary?

Ive said before I dislike them both,but i dislike HIllary more. Id hardly be called a trump supporter though. Id a been fine with Sanders or th e3rd party guy,but they cant even win. SO its the lesser of two evils.
edit on 16000000pppm by yuppa because: oops

posted on Aug, 20 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Fair enough, because at least you're honest. I strongly distrust Hillary & Bill, but I absolutely loathe Republican policy positions. So I'm in the "Stein or reluctantly Hillary" camp.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 02:17 AM
link   

so what about when hilary apologised i guess that doesnt count becuase its hilary.
donald would sell his mother if he thought it might give him a lead in the polls

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Acting like an employee, not a King... or Queen.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: lortl

so what about when hilary apologised i guess that doesnt count becuase its hilary.
donald would sell his mother if he thought it might give him a lead in the polls

Apology? Can you cite what youre talking about? I cant think of any of her press released statements that can be considered an actual apology.

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22 >>

join