It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump, Pence to Visit Flood-Ravaged Louisiana Capital Friday

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: SentientCentenarian

As a south Louisiana native and current resident, I'm glad he's coming. At least one of our leaders is even pretending to care about what's going on down here. I have several friends in the area that have lost everything. Had it not been for a merciful 4 hour break in the rain right as my parish's drainage system started to get overwhelmed, that could have been me on the news trudging dejectedly through the floodwaters.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: SentientCentenarian
It's outrageous that ANY celebrity or high level politician like the President would consider going into a disaster zone at this stage of the game. The flooding is still ongoing and there are still lives to be saved. [/url]

Then do tell, why did Obama criticize Bush for his "fly over"?

Bill Clinton and Obama both took Katrina and maximized it
for a political spot in the media, fueling conspiracy and
tensions with the poor and middle class.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: burntheships

Ongoing flooding means it is still in progress your articles say just a small afternoon thunderstorm can be catastrophic.

To compare that with Katrina where it was a hurricane that had already passed is like apples and oranges.
edit on 19-8-2016 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 12:28 AM
link   
He's being more of a leader than Obama is what he's doing.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: JacKatMtn

Here's what you called a 'blog' - sorry for the long quote but it's the only way some people get the facts. I realize that someone with a flooded house doesn't have internet access anymore, but perhaps this information will get out to them in other ways. I'm sure the people waiting on Trump are hoping he'll crack open his wallet but in the meantime, here's what happens in the White House when a disaster strikes.

WHITE HOUSE LA FLOODING UPDATE:

Yesterday, the President spoke with FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate, who traveled to Louisiana yesterday, to receive an update on the response to ongoing flooding in the state. In the latest of a series of updates the President has been receiving since the weekend, Administrator Fugate briefed the President on the resources that have been provided to support the response and recovery, including FEMA Corps volunteers and federal assistance available to individuals who have been impacted.

The President directed Administrator Fugate to utilize all resources available to assist in the response and recovery and asked to be regularly briefed on the ongoing response. In addition, Department of Homeland Security Secretary Johnson visited the impacted region this week to review the ongoing response.

According to the National Weather Service, significant river flooding will persist this week across portions of southern Louisiana. Major to record flooding will continue along portions of the Amite, Vermilion, Mermentau, and Calcasieu Rivers. Additional rain is possible in slow-moving, persistent thunderstorms, with the greatest threat across south central Texas and western Louisiana. Pockets of flash flooding may develop as a result of this additional rainfall.

So here's what you should know about the federal response in Lousiana and the resources that you or anyone you know who is impacted by flooding can use:

Federal Response
President Obama has declared 20 parishes for a major disaster for severe storms and flooding, a declaration that makes federal funding available to affected people in Acadia, Ascension, Avoyelles, East Baton Rouge, East Feliciana, Evangeline, Iberia, Iberville, Jefferson Davis, Lafayette, Livingston, Pointe Coupee, St. Helena, St. Landry, St. Martin, St. Tammany, Tangipahoa, Vermilion, Washington and West Feliciana. Additional parishes may be added to the declaration at a later date as damage assessments continue in affected areas.

This federal assistance can include grants for temporary housing and home repairs, low-cost loans to cover uninsured property losses, and other programs to help individuals and business owners recover from the effects of the disaster.

Last week when flooding began, President Obama spoke with Governor Edwards of Louisiana last Thursday and ordered federal aid last week to support state and local recovery efforts in the area affected by severe storms and flooding -- support that will continue as state and local officials in the affected areas address the impacts of the disaster. Since then, FEMA and Louisiana state officials have convened a Strategic Housing Task Force to explore immediate temporary housing solutions for displaced survivors. The Department of Housing and Urban Development announced it will speed federal disaster assistance to Louisiana and provide support to homeowners and low-income renters forced from their homes due to severe storms and flooding

The Small Business Administration is also opening Business Recovery Center in Waka, LA to provide a wide-range of services. You can learn more about that center here.

Right now, FEMA, through its regional office in Denton, Texas, is highly engaged in response efforts in Louisiana as flooding continues across areas of the Gulf Coast. FEMA staff are on the ground in Louisiana as FEMA continues to coordinate closely with the Governor’s Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness. FEMA is also monitoring potential flooding in Texas and in states across the Gulf Coast. As of today, the Corporation for National and Community Service has assigned 310 AmeriCorps members serving through FEMA Corps to relief efforts, including 114 AmeriCorps members on the ground in Louisiana to support disaster assistance and other critical tasks and 196 members remotely staffing survivor call centers. In addition, 39 AmeriCorps National Civilian Community Corps (NCCC) members serving through the American Red Cross have deployed to Baton Rouge to support sheltering, disaster assessments, and feeding.

Here's what FEMA is doing on the ground in Louisiana:

More than 300 housing inspectors are on the ground in Louisiana verifying damages reported by survivors who have registered for assistance. The number of inspectors is expected to increase rapidly over the next several days.
FEMA established an Incident Support Base in Camp Beauregard in Pineville, Louisiana to distribute supplies such as water, meals, cots and blankets to the state of Louisiana. These include over 650,000 liters of water, over 800,000 meals, over 20,000 cots, and 42,000 blankets.
FEMA Mobile Emergency Response Support (MERS) personnel and equipment are deployed to the Incident Support Base in Pineville to support the state with secure and non-secure voice, video and information services to support emergency response communications needs.
After the state requested a Federal Urban Search & Rescue task force, FEMA has deployed Texas Task Force 1 to Louisiana.
Six FEMA Incident Management Assistance Teams are deployed to Louisiana to support response activities and ensure there are no unmet needs.
Louisiana residents impacted by flooding can directly apply for assistance online or by phone. Already, more than 80,000 people in Louisiana have registered for FEMA Individual Assistance, and more than $3.7 million has been approved to help survivors with temporary rental assistance, essential home repairs, and other serious disaster-related needs. More than 17,000 National Flood Insurance policyholders have submitted claims for flood loss.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Trump will bring attention to a disaster that needs the help of the rest of the people in the country, because the current leadership won't do it for them. All we need now is Kanye West to grill Obama a little bit.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 03:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: CaticusMaximus

The presence of someone such as Trump is helpful to morale in times like this. Its going to comfort people to see that someone actually might care a little, and it will also win him votes. Another 100k votes for Trump. At this point HILLARY mind as well just drop out... her rapidly collapsing campaign, deteriorating health, mounting lies, and blatant non-caring about anyone below super elite class, has pretty much sealed the deal for a Trump presidency anyway.

The presence of someone such as Trump is a helpful to whose morale? His supporters? It's a frickin publicity stunt. Wait never mind, the rest of your post pretty much sums up how blind you are to the reality of Donald Trump and your willingness to believe anything trending on Drudge.

The Donald Trump campaign is the one that has resorted to another change in management, hiring a Rapey Roger Ailes and Stephen Bannon (the only "good" media is the media he can pay off apparently). When he was up in the polls briefly it was all his followers could talk about and now that the bump has turned to a dip and he's been down for weeks, polls are all rigged and we get multiple threads per day showing things like how Trump is leading in Facebook likes.

What was it that Trump said to Howard Stern in 2005 about raising his own children?

"I mean, I won’t do anything to take care of them. I’ll supply funds and she’ll take care of the kids."

And you think this guy cares about everyday people? You're delusional.

Apparently that oxygen tank you're sucking on has CNN kool-aid..kinda like a pacifier...until someday you have to grow out of it unless you just want to look and sound like a toddler. It seems you can't stand the thought of a leader doing something positive and constructive. Just like the crap the mass media regurgitates and spits out, you'll take anything he says or does and do a pretzel twist to make it somehow something bad. The media takes a sound-byte and uses it ad-nauseum out of context, to further their blatant agenda of playing the shell game and distracting viewers from the real news and the real problems we face. Trump isn't the candidate who's been committing perjury, Trump isn't the candidate who has been giving State Department favors in return for exorbitant speaking fees and "donations" to the Clinton Foundation, also known as Pay to Play. Trump isn't the candidate taking millions of dollars from special interest groups and big bankers to get him into office. Trump isn't the candidate who is against law enforcement. Trump isn't the candidate who is supporting BLM, a group perpetrating violence. Trump isn't the candidate who has received millions of dollars this election cycle from George Soros, whose blatant agenda is global communism and causing havoc to achieve that goal. This is just the beginning. I haven't even started talking about Radical Islamic Terrorism, Libya, creating the conditions for Isis to thrive, etc etc etc. At some point you have to look at reality. Instead of slamming Trump for visiting Louisiana, and using your cracked crystal ball to tell everyone what you think his motives for doing something good are, why don't you spend some time researching some facts?

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 05:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Thankful to see at least one Presidential Candidate and VP going to visit and see what can be done to help.

What?

What exactly do you think Trump is going to do to help? Is he going to open his "yuge" mouth and suck in the flood waters?

You may be unable to give him credit, but the fact he is going, when others are not (Obama is too busy golfing) is to his credit.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 05:14 AM
link   
a reply to: AreUKiddingMe

It is way too late for some to extract themselves from their hatred and offer objectivity. They are the exception though.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Hillary can not go.

The situation would not be controllable by her handlers.

To big a risk of being asked a non scripted question that may not look favorably upon her.

Can't risk being asked REAL questions by the peasants.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I'm glad to see Trump do this. I would say it should shame Obama into action, but then I realize, Obama, or Hillary for that matter , has no shame.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I don't understand how time and time again Obama is shown to be a classless political hack and yet he still has supporters.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

To compare that with Katrina where it was a hurricane that had already passed is like apples and oranges.

To be fair to the people, the number of displaced is virtually the
same, 40,000k for Katrina, and 40,000 during this flood.

So how is that not an even comparison?

Besides that, you make it sound like 40,000 people displaced
is something to wink at?

Not really sure what your point it.....

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Trump isn't even President yet, but he is acting more presidential towards his own countrymen than Obama does. Meanwhile Hillary is having her beauty sleep and won't be woken up until Sunday.

edit on 19-8-2016 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
You know, love him or hate him, but he is there talking with officials and helping unload trucks. Yes, he is helping unload trucks. I just saw footage of this. You can scream it's a publicity stunt but the victims are grateful he's there. Can I say the same thing for Obama? Or even Hillary?

The people there seem to support him. There are crowds of people waving caps and begging him to sign them.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: IridiumFlareMadness

Both Obama and Clinton are so self-centered, and anxious over what the next leak will bring, that the thought of reaching out to the residents of flooded Louisiana never occurred to them. I hope this "sneak-peak" into the mind (or lack thereof) of Hillary Clinton gives her supporters one less reason to support her.

BTW..as expected, only FoxNews.com has the Trump-Pence visit to the Baton Rouge area on the website. The others are all conveniently ignoring his empathy. If it was Hillary visiting...

edit on 8/19/2016 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
Puh-leeze...

If Hillary did show up you'd all complain anyways.

Get a life.

I'm a Trump supporter and I would not be complaining if Hillary showed up.

Wouldn't it be neat if both Trump and Hillary could drop their attacks for one second and work side by side to help the victims of this devastating flood?

Each side could feel good about our own candidate.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   

What exactly do you think Trump is going to do to help? Is he going to open his "yuge" mouth and suck in the flood waters?

A. Shines a national spotlight on the problem.

B. Watch the footage, he's actually helping hand out relief supplies, etc. Are you? Am I? Nope.

Always this little gem, on what Obama said before about Presidents and vacation....

Obviously, he's full of it.

edit on 19-8-2016 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   
How come the Clinton Foundation or the George Soros organizations aren't sending emergency grants?

Hmmm

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join