It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US moves nuclear weapons from Turkey to Romania

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   
This could be a troubling move in a time of serious tension between Russia and Ukraine...

Romania denies the report, but you never really ever get outright acknowledgement of who is storing the US nukes..

It's also a further sign of the troubles between the US - Turkey post failed coup..

euractiv.com

EXCLUSIVE/ Two independent sources told EurActiv.com that the US has started transferring nuclear weapons stationed in Turkey to Romania, against the background of worsening relations between Washington and Ankara .

According to one of the sources, the transfer has been very challenging in technical and political terms.

“It’s not easy to move 20+ nukes,” said the source, on conditions of anonymity.

According to a recent report by the Simson Center, since the Cold War, some 50 US tactical nuclear weapons have been stationed at Turkey’s Incirlik air base, approximately 100 kilometres from the Syrian border.

During the failed coup in Turkey in July, Incirlik’s power was cut, and the Turkish government prohibited US aircraft from flying in or out. Eventually, the base commander was arrested and implicated in the coup. Whether the US could have maintained control of the weapons in the event of a protracted civil conflict in Turkey is an unanswerable question, the report says.

Here's the wiki for the source of the article, since it's a new one for me:

en.wikipedia.org...

It's pretty tough to keep up with the region if you rely on US sources... I have an ill feeling that the globalists are very close to unleashing all out war...

YMMV

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: JacKatMtn

Definately suspicious if true. Maybe WW3 Will do us some good in the long run, Aslong as people wake up to wtf governments have been doing and take power back. More than likely we will just nuke the # out of each other and the generations of mutated survivors would look back on our part in history and say "these people were going full retard".

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Isnt the missile shueld base in Romina?

It is

www.bbc.com...

The fake defensive shield is in Rominia
edit on 18-8-2016 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Romania is pretty unstable. It's also an ultranationalist regime which is barely democratic whose leadership is absolutely convinced all the problems in the country are because of the Communists or that King who was deposed in the 40s.

You know you must be a #ty leader if 48% of your people think life was better under Ceausescu than the current system.

Hopefully this is just a temporary move until they can find somewhere sensible to put them. Back home in the United States might be a good place to start.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Ww3 start in Rominia? Let's wait and see

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Hmmmm I don't know. The site looks legit but.....if I were a US planner, I don't think I'd want to move my nukes to Romania. Romania is basically a Kleptocracy run by competing mafia style crime families. Corruption is rampant and securing these nukes would be near impossible, or at the very least, Very difficult.

The US will doubtless have to move the nukes as Turkey goes its own way, but I'd think they'd return them to the US. Or, who knows............they might just ship some to the Syrian Rebels on their way to ISIS! That's a plan HRC and Kerry is well familiar with. Which reminds me..............after HRC is installed as Potus.........we need to remember to send an email to the US Ambassador in Turkey to...........find another job before he's "Benghazi'ed".

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   
It's a fake defensive shield

That's because its offensive

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Starting to look like alot of us were right on thinking Turkey may leave NATO.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Here's all the articles

google news search

pretty much all the same right now, will check that search in a couple of hours to see if anything new develops..

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Romania is just a waystop, they're probably headed for Belgium, it's where we store a bunch of our Western European B61s

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   

The response to the attempted coup in Turkey was over-reaching. I can't believe the base commander was arrested along with so many others. It was an excuse to get rid of political opponents to the regime.

Also, it is a good idea to get our nukes out of there.
edit on 18pmThu, 18 Aug 2016 14:38:06 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   

PCR has a new piece and he brings up what we might suspect if happening on the ground behind closed doors

The US and NATO don’t really have the conventional military power to pressure Russia. The pressure comes from American missile bases in Poland and Romania. These bases can very easily be converted in a few hours to strategic nuclear missiles. That could put Russia in defensive position. That is the real danger. If Turkey leaves NATO, it will weaken NATO. And it may encourage thoughts out in Europe.
www.informationclearinghouse.info... looks more and more like the failed coup was a real deal and Turkeys reattachment to Russia is turning the tables .Not sure if its a stronger or weaker position but can imagine that NATO looks weaker

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jordan River
It's a fake defensive shield

That's because its offensive

How is a system designed to bring down a missile offensive?

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

The US just opened a base in Romania a few years ago I think.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   

It does make sense that they would do this. From a Western World and US perspective had the coup worked and toppled Erdogan, it would have been much better for us.

Turkish media all in on anti-Americanism in wake of failed coup

Once a key ally of the U.S., Turkey has become a hotbed of anti-American rhetoric, with government-controlled media openly accusing the CIA and other Americans of taking part in a plan to assassinate President Recep Tayyip Erdogan

It would be foolish I think at this point to not move the nuclear weapons.
edit on 8/18/2016 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam
Romania is just a waystop, they're probably headed for Belgium, it's where we store a bunch of our Western European B61s

if they are moving from Turkey to Romania and not to Belgium or anywhere else, they are going to stay in Romania. There isn't anything longer than the temporary

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

they need to be KICKED OUT of nato
edit on 18-8-2016 by starfoxxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: starfoxxx

Your not wrong on that. They are a lose cannon, almost got us in WWIII. That being said, the scenario this transpiring in is not a good one. There are natural alliances in the world, and ones with more bleak meaning, them becoming more totalitarian us sad for their country, and Russia and NATO getting allies in line spells disaster for the future.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 05:22 AM
link   
This may have nothing to do with the coup and a lot more to do with the build up of Russian troops and weapons.

But the coup makes a nice cover story.

Presuming any of it is true.

edit on 19-8-2016 by joho99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 06:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
Starting to look like alot of us were right on thinking Turkey may leave NATO.

This is actually very true. In defensive mode it is next to useless and more symbolic than anything.

However, offensive missiles can be fitted and they do work.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join