It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Bush Vows to End Tyranny in Our World

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   
In his inaugural address to the nation, President George Bush stated that the ultimate goal of his administration would be "ending tyranny in our world". He also asked the divided nation to find the unity it felt following the 9/11 attacks. He briefly mentioned his ambitious domestic agenda, freedom was the key point of the address.

story.news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON - President Bush sought in his second inaugural speech to define his new term as a fight for freedom in every nation with the "ultimate goal of ending tyranny in our world." At home, he urged a divided nation to find the unity it had felt after the Sept. 11 attacks.

Looking ahead to history's judgment, Bush asked two questions in his speech Thursday from the Capitol steps: "Did our generation advance the cause of freedom? And did our character bring credit to that cause?"

Bush, the 43rd president and the 16th to be elected to a second term, spoke briefly about his new term's domestic goals, including overhauling Social Security. But his 21-minute address to the nation — and the world — focused on freedom, a word he uttered 27 times.

"There is only one force of history that can break the reign of hatred and resentment and expose the pretensions of tyrants and reward the hopes of the decent and tolerant, and that is the force of human freedom," the 58-year-old president said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

According to reports, the word freedom was said 27 times in the 21 minute speech. However, while I doubt highly that the foreign policy imperatives of the first term Bush presidency will change, I think history will key on the domestic changes or not) that are acomplished. This seems to be one of the most ambitious second term agendas I have seen. From tackling Social Security to tax reform, Bush is in a unique position for the next two years. He does not have a Vice president to protect and his party controls both houses.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
In his inaugural address to the nation, President George Bush stated that the ultimate goal of his administration would be "ending tyranny in our world".

Ludicrous. Bush is not going to engage in a militant global democratic revolution, ala revolutionary france.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   
The US does not have that many troops and hardware.

Can't take a country clean in 2 years. Probably still be there "mopping up" in another 4 years.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I guess trying to end tyranny in the world at the expenses of our over used troops and over depleted economy is going to bring the tyranny here to the US and to the homes of the americna people.

Now bringing 9/11 is getting old and I am glad he got over the "war on terror" slogan now is freedom.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
That's the word "freedom" practically spoken every minute.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Words of propaganda are always carved to represent to the citizenry an idealism, a concept, a good deed which in fact the speaker has no intention of living up to.

And there was no intention to do this:
"What we want lies clear before us: not war and not strife. Just as we have established peace within our own people, so we want nothing else than peace with the world. For we all know that our great work can succeed only in a time of peace."

or live up to this:
"You need have no fear that we want anything of you..."

Neither of those were the truth.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   
This tickled my funny bone in a big way. He wants to end tyranny in foreign lands..by imposing it on his own country?

I'm scratching my head here, at a loss, unsure if this is the sign of a sane man. He wants to continue to spend millions daily to enforce peace at the barrel of a gun in assorted desert hell holes, while completely ignoring the steady and frightening erosion of peace, stability, and democracy at home? I'm sorry, my head hurts from thinking about this.

An end note, doesn't this qualify as treason? He's neglecting his own country to go and 'save' a bunch of other, primarily arab nations. How about let's straighten out the domestic agenda first. Then you can go catering to the rest of the world. The patriot act was the least patriotic legislation ever enacted. You can't bring peace with weapons. The lies are not the truth. Isn't anyone else noticing the string of contradictory, confusing statements and actions? I'm not suggesting anything be done about it mind you. I'm enjoying the farce too much, please don't end it. Current affairs are my cartoons.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
The lies are not the truth. Isn't anyone else noticing the string of contradictory, confusing statements and actions? I'm not suggesting anything be done about it mind you. I'm enjoying the farce too much, please don't end it. Current affairs are my cartoons.

Not only contradictory, but centered on conceptual arguements that can neither be proved or disproved. I suggest that something be done about this! These "cartoons" are getting people killed!

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
"Bush Vows to End Tyranny in Our World"

He's going to commit suicide? Oh sorry, I mis-read...or for one ludicrous second thought he was telling the truth.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Ya know, this maniac is suffering from delussions of grandeur, he's a sick puppy. I cant put it any other way. He thinks he's saving mankind, of course in the process we'll be in an all out nukelear war, of which he will be saved in his bunker and too bad for the rest of humanity. This is what we have thanks to the voters and/or the fraudulent votes. It just perplexes me how Americans can be conned into backing a delusional psychotic ruler like this. Honestly, its crazy. We have no future as it stands.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Bush's reality check has bounce. This is like LBJ only wanting to hear good news about veitnam and body counts. all over again

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   
If anyone ever wanted to know what irony meant.

Thats like OJ Simpson saying hes going to wipe out murder or Gary Glitter calling for a clampdown on paedofiles!

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   

...every man and woman on this earth has rights, and dignity, and matchless value, because they bear the image of the Maker of Heaven and earth.

The people of the world have these rights because they "bear the image of the Maker of Heaven and earth?" Uhm... I'd like to put human rights above the confines of religion and broaden it to encompass everyone, regardless of religion. G.W. doesn't I guess.

So it is the policy of the United States to seek and support the growth of democratic movements and institutions in every nation and culture, with the ultimate goal of ending tyranny in our world.

It might be great if every region on earth supported democracy, but some don't and aren't ready for it. So maybe georgy should focus on the problems confined inside our own borders, and the borders themselves before embarking on this crusade of democracy that some may not even want or be ready for.

Although the president says this crusade isn't done PRIMARILY through arms, it makes one wonder if this excuse of "freeing an oppressed people" will be used again when georgy feels like going after whoever he feels like next.

You can read the entire speech here: www.whitehouse.gov...

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 07:07 PM
link   
end tyranny = remove regime = control oil

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
If he's in any way serious he'll start by immediately repealling the so called "patriot act" (which would have Thomas Jefferson spinning in his grave), and shutting down the concentration camp a Guantanamo Bay...

top topics

join