It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boy Sues Math Teacher Who Assigned Summer Homework

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   
i think its disgusting how lazy and closeminded modern society has become. i mean, teenager not wanting to do his homework is pretty normal, but a PARENT AGREEING with him? thats absurd! If a parent cannot see the value of enrichment, how can anybody expect students to? i speak from a modest 16 year old junior in high school point of view, and although i do not particularly enjoy homework, i realize that i can indeed learn more by simply applying the basic principles of the class into gradually more and more complex problems. i agree that the curriculum still has some work to be done on it, but to protest the attempt of a teacher to enrich and prepare a surtdent for the next academic year... it disgusts me. usually i am not opinionated so radically as this, but the laziness which has grown to be commonoplace enough that one who particularly enjoys or does his work without question is viewed as deviation form the norm...it simply makes my head spin.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   
*sigh* Does everyone have to have an opinion on everything? Is it wrong to just say "I don't care"?

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   
As a high school senior im not quite sure what to think, but I can see both sides of the arguement. In our school we're required to read two books over the summer and we are tested when we come back. I personally dont think summer homework should be required unless the student is not performing up to expectations.

While the people filing the lawsuit do have a bit of a point about schools exceeding the 180 day mandate, if a student is putting up a sub-par performance the school should step in. I would say the students with a cumulative B average or better thru 4 semesters should not be subject to summer schoolwork, under that it should be enforced. High school kids today are lazy. I have friends that are pretty smart (23 ACT) yet have around a 1/4 GPA (D average), just because they dont do the work.

To the people claiming that school should be going all year long. You have to remember that the average high school, while lazy with school work, has a very busy schedule (sports, student counsils, FFA, etc.) and needs a fairly good supply of money to pay bills thoughout the year. The summer is needed to earn money. I could see going to the 6-day schoolweek however.

Also, No Child Left Behind is having an impact on the situation as well. For instance my school was deemed non cmpliant because reading scores are too low. So my school is now cutting down our lunches to 25 minutes from 36 and cutting 1 minute between every class for a "Drop Everything And Read" time and instituting Home Rooms to help enforce attendance. This was understandable when I last had to do this in 5th grade, but seems to be overboard for high schoolers. Especially for someone like me who barely every misses school and scored a 31 on the reading portion of the ACT (29 overall). It just makes me feel like Im being punished for others in my school (teachers and administration included) not taking care of their responsibilities.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Really funny how some people consider themselves as slaves in the hand of school, court, etc.

The kid and his parents are old enough to decide what they need and what they do not need. If the kid believes he does not need to do that homework, he shouldn't do it and period. No one would force him to.

>> because of how i lokk at homework, which is as practice that you need to scucced in life...

Interesting illusions some have... how does homework help one succeed in life?

[edit on 21-1-2005 by BRT25]

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 07:12 AM
link   
No schools should not be allowed to give our children reading or math or any other HOMEWORK!!!!!! Summer is not that long and some of us parents wants time to enjoy relaxing and spending it with our kids. Not saying did you do your homework. NO you cannot ride your bike no you cannot go fishing or hiking till you do your homework. Its terrible. My kids got assigned a reading assignment last year and it totally pissed me off and them. When i was in school the first day was not till September after Labor Day and we were out in May. Now they start in August and dont get out till June. Theres no time to be a family anymore. They go to school all day then come home with homework all night. And now the schools want to take my summers away from my kids. TOTALLY WRONG. Yes they learn while they are there. Kids are still just kids let them be a kid it last for about 16 to 18 years then their on their own. Kids need some down time.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   

As a little seeing-by-photo, I can say that this kid has high ambitions and will go very far in life.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Forced to do an assignment that will reflect upon a grade? I don't think that it should be forced, but I am not against homework over the summer vacation. Lets see! One or two days to complete this homework and be done with it? Now he must go to court, and spend more time doing that then he would have just to do the assignment. From what I read, it would reflect upon the students grade, but I am still on the fence about that. So, say he goes to court? The jury doesn't side with him. Now he is forced to pay the lawyers and still have that assignment. Atleast one good thing might come from this. Employers in his town might remember this event and when the kid applies for a job they will say "aren't you the kid that didn't want to do homework over the summer?".

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Employers in his town might remember this event and when the kid applies for a job they will say "aren't you the kid that didn't want to do homework over the summer?".

I, as an employer, more value people for their charisma and ambitions. And I would be very careful about hiring someone who was very good at school and collage. As practice shows, they aren't good in doing anything on their own, someone has to stand behind their back and tells them in details what to do.

Yet, of course, everybody has his own opinion.

This kid will have his own company. Mark my words.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Speaking as a nerdy kid (4.0 GPA 2 1/2 years and working for three), no, I don't think homework should be given over summer. I have to say, the homework load of today is extremely heavy (sometimes four hours of work, but usually around two in eighth grade) and we do learn a lot. My writing's gotten much better, I've learned about fiber optics and other technological devices, I've learned triangulation (I'm going through gemoetry.), etc., etc. in less than 90 days.

I can see that the teacher was trying to keep the student's memory up from last year, though. I don't think a single homework assignment will change that, however.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   
actually, when homework is assigned for over the summer, it is usually from a teacher the student will be having the upcoming year....it consists mostly of reading materials and probably occurs most often for english classes as opposed to math classes which would require being taught something in order to complete it.....obviously, most of the kids in high school do not need to be taught how to read a book......3 months to read a book and do some critical analysis should be more than enough time anyway....however, it should be optional

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Teachers shouldn't have any authority unless the student said they would do extra homework or are in a summer school class and need to do the extra work. Otherwise, it should all go though the legal guardian(s) of the student. This civil case should be interesting.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 09:13 PM
link   
It depends on the Boy!

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Lawsuit to End Summer Homework Fails.

MILWAUKEE — The Wisconsin (search) attorney general says a student's lawsuit to end mandatory summer homework doesn't make the grade.

The state's chief law enforcement official says putting limits on homework is a local issue, not a state one. The attorney general considers the complaint "unmeritorious," and wants a court to order the student and his dad to cough up lawyers' fees.

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   
While I think that we are far too litigious in this country, and while I do agree with year-round schooling, (actually my kids will be home schooled) I think my problem with the school and teacher in this case goes above assigning homework over the summer.

It has to do with when and where does the school cease having authority over the students.

It reminds me of a case nearby here last year, whereby a couple of high school kids were caught by the police at a drinking party... during the summer. The school district (a publicly elected, tax-funded quasi-government entity) decided to exercise their "zero tolerance policy" and expel the students from school when the school year started. Understandably, there are no-alcohol-on-campus policies which could mean expulsion if broken, but the district took it upon itself to regulate a kid's life outside of the regular school year. This, to me, goes too far. Likewise, the summer homework issue, while far inferior in scope than drinking related expulsion, reeks of the same rat, and that is government control where it shouldn't be.

[edit on 3-2-2005 by Bill_DeBurgh]

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Oh no, only 3 months to do homework. I swear, what a little bitch. Of course, nowadays you don't need passing grades, just do what everyone else does, get a lawyer and sue the school to pass you on time. Every year at the end of a school year you have easily 10,000-20,000 lawsuits from students who didn't pass and are suing to be passed anyways. What is the point of working hard and making the grade if all you have to do is sue to be passed. I had summer work, read The Chamber, The Street Lawyer, The Testament, and The Client.(english teacher was a huge John Grisham fan, can't say I blame him) Anyways, didn't matter if you had the same teacher, the new one would give you a test to see if you read the book. But I had him junoir and senoir, so no problem. Besides, I had already owned/read those books anyways, love Grisham books. But you get the "Like, totally like to much, you know, like, ow my gosh reading." bimbos and the "hey, wat up frydog home skillet g yo." whites who want to be ghetto who didn't read anything, ever. Guess who got better grades, guess who got better treatment?(one day late, allowed bathroom breaks, allowed more lee-way) Thats right, the people who did what they were told to do over the summer. Sit and read what I(and matt, Sarah, couple others) wanted while the other 25 people were forced to read out loud. Funny, all these popular kids having trouble reading 8th-9th grade level books while me and the other 5 were reading Grisham, Cussler, Crichton, Patricia Cornwell, Jean Auel, so forth. Also guess who scored higher in IQ tests? The stoners or the geeks? The jocks or the nerd? The bimbo like you know, totally, or the book worm? At least the ones in social science did.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Alot of school'sin vegas are yr round. But they do get the same amount of time off as if they had summer vacation but it is split up.

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Pretty much all homework is just bull#, anyway. If you get so much math homework, when are you supposed to learn mathematics? As Mark Twain said "Don't let your schooling interfere with your education"

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
UPDATE

Judge throws the case out of court.

Read Me

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   
bless the kid and his father i think i should sue the school too for brain washing my sisters into selling 10 cent candys bars for a dollar...yep the old fund raiser trick bs....

its bad enough when by law you HAVE TO GO TO SCHOOL!!!

the school system shouldnt have anysay so whatsoever during summer time when there is no school..

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 12:50 AM
link   
We dicussed this at ID (www.ignorancedenied.com...) but here are my thoughts

I think that the required classes(Algebra 1, Regular English, etc) should not have homework. Those classes are required to be passed to graduate. However, the class this boy wanted to take was an honors class. AP and honors classes have summer assignments. thats the facts of life. If you don't want to take them, you dont have to.

Im glad the judge threw this one out.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join