It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Trump Loses the Evangelicals Will Retake the GOP.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: eNumbra

If the republicans would purge the evangelicals from their ranks, the evangelicals would be just as stopped.

Yes. But isn't it the evangelicals who re-vitalized the Republican Party after Nixon? Working in churches to organize local and community politics that worked up to cities and states that made the party what it is today? The Republicans have been were on their last legs when the evangelicals saved that party. Their grass roots influence has waned leaving little to hang a conservative hat on in the R party. Without the evangelicals, what else is there?

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: DBCowboy

Not the place for platitudes when it could so easily become current events.

Platitudes is all we have left.

Unless you think a nameless, faceless anonymous blogger can fix all the ills of the world!

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: JoshuaCox

You're right. Trump has fundamentally altered the Republican party to reflect, dare I say it, republicanism. If he loses, the void may find itself filled with anything at this point.

True, MAYBE it would be the libertarians who take the party, but I doubt it. I bet it's a return to a establishment/evangelical ran GOP.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

All of you Hillary supporters:
If you want to stop the evangelicals, you must vote for Trump.

Take it to heart!
Stop the Evangelicals!!!

Hillary has little to no chance to make changes...

Trump on the other hand will trade EVERY liberal issue for his Roman emporer a monument to out last the ages, the wall.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
The evangelicals have always had a strong grip on the Republicans. Trump has been pandering to them throughout this process with his references to faith and god.

If Trump loses, it will be back to business as usual for the GOP.

No one believes trump is truly religious or pro life. Hell the Christian talking heads all claim they want to convert him! Can't convert some one who is already faithful!

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Yup! And trump has nearly squandered his shot because he can't stop being a jack @$$...

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
When not if Trump loses. Next election will be the last where the Republican Party has a real voice. It'll be competing with the Libertarians during that election though as they'll be in the debates. Then both will lose. After that the Libertarians will be the new Republicans.

Unless they are laughed off again.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: thinline

Democrats don't buy the "liberal agenda to destroy America" BS...

You actually need proof and logic not unfounded conspiracy theories to win over the left.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: jefwane
Most evangelicals i know voting trump think him at best a cultural Christian. I had a great argument with a cuckservative churchian who is a fairly active local GOP member a few weeks ago about Trump. He and his wife were asking me how as a Christian i could be voting for Trump? I countered with I remember you really supporting Romney in 2012 and I know you both despise Hillary who are you voting for? They answered "Johnson". I said I understand I did that in 2012 myself because I'd vote for an apostate or an atheist before a member of a heretical sect like Mormonism, so I honestly did not vote for Romney, and i promise not to blame you for a Clinton presidency like you did me for an Obama second term.

Evangelicals are a vital part of the GOP as it currently exists and in whatever form it takes post 2016. Christianity is the only thing that can temper some off the more extreme views of certain elements the ascendant AltRight and ethnic nationalists on all sides. I'm an unashamed American nationalist, but I understand that nationalism without Christianity can be really dangerous.

I don't think America has much to fear from a race war and/or racial nationalism. We are far to intergrated for that. Too many interracial relationships and children.

That ship sailed in the 60s

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

If the republicans would purge the evangelicals from their ranks, the evangelicals would be just as stopped.

Yes. But isn't it the evangelicals who re-vitalized the Republican Party after Nixon? Working in churches to organize local and community politics that worked up to cities and states that made the party what it is today? The Republicans have been were on their last legs when the evangelicals saved that party. Their grass roots influence has waned leaving little to hang a conservative hat on in the R party. Without the evangelicals, what else is there?

It was the southern strategy which embraced the pro segregation southern baptist, that reignited the GOP.

Then bush jr. ruined their brand.

Then a black president who won like a celebrity scared them again, so they embraced the Glen beck type conspiracy theorists and fake scandals.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Trump has certainly pushed the right toward accepting the LGBTQ community by the things he's said in support of them and telling the GOP that's how it's going to be now. I'm not sure exactly how receptive they were on the idea or if it was anything more than just words floating in the air either. But I did like that part about Trump.

However, I have to disagree with you when it comes to the idea that the Evangelicals lost any control over things. Trump was relying on them to be part of his base, a major part. Just because Trump told them to back off the LGBTQ folks doesn't mean they listened. Plus he's got Pence as his VP.

Trump not winning I don't think will effect the Evangelicals hold over the GOP at all. Win or lose they will still have a very good solid hold on that party and they aren't going anywhere and neither Trump nor anyone else has the power to change that.

Anyone who thinks they can take on the Christian Religion here in America isn't thinking real clearly. They may make a few things change here and there but you're crazy if you think you're going to cause a major change in such a large and powerful institution like that.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

Trump has certainly pushed the right toward accepting the LGBTQ community by the things he's said in support of them and telling the GOP that's how it's going to be now. I'm not sure exactly how receptive they were on the idea or if it was anything more than just words floating in the air either. But I did like that part about Trump.

However, I have to disagree with you when it comes to the idea that the Evangelicals lost any control over things. Trump was relying on them to be part of his base, a major part. Just because Trump told them to back off the LGBTQ folks doesn't mean they listened. Plus he's got Pence as his VP.

Trump not winning I don't think will effect the Evangelicals hold over the GOP at all. Win or lose they will still have a very good solid hold on that party and they aren't going anywhere and neither Trump nor anyone else has the power to change that.

Anyone who thinks they can take on the Christian Religion here in America isn't thinking real clearly. They may make a few things change here and there but you're crazy if you think you're going to cause a major change in such a large and powerful institution like that.

I disagree.. Sure they back trump, but trump doesn't back ANY of the ideas they want.

Agnosticism is the fastest growing religion and that will continue to snowball as older generations pass and science continues to debunk their claims.

I think Trump has proven that there are no principles in the GOP.

Half of trumps plans are exactly the things that conservatives have been saying will destroy America. Single payer, min wage hike, Russian reset, exc.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   

I don't either, though I'm less convinced of that than i was 10 years ago. American Nationalist, despite some of the more unsavory altright characters saying it has to, does not equal white nationalism. I served in the combat arms in the US military that was well integrated with whites,blacks, hipanics, and pacific islanders that were and are every bit as patriotic as I am. I'm only willing to put up with the knucklheads that comprise a small part of the altright because they are more loyal allies than establishment conservatives. However, it should come as a surprise to no one that more white folks are embracing identity politics. They appear to work , just look at the success the left has had with them,and I can't tell you how big a favor the left and PC culture did us by over using the term racist and terms like white privilege instead of the more accurate socioeconomic expressions of privilege. I prefer an Amercan Nationalism tempered by Christian values to Amercan Nationalism not tempered by anything.

Evangelicals, simply gave up on Conservatives because of their continual failure to conserve anything Evangelicals valued. They finaly realized that abortion, prayer in school, school choice,gay marriage, and other historically hot button issues do not matter if the country keeps allowing mass migrations from non Christian nations. We are lucky in that the majority of our migration is from Christian but Catholic South America, unlike what the Europeans now face. Also many evangelicals have realized you can't be for limited goverment and unlimited immigration. It just doesn't work new arrivals will eventually vote themselves more bennies or original people will get tired of it and demand goverment do something about the migrants.

I see at the very least a realignment of both parties into new coalitions at least or the death of one and the rise of a new party like what happened with the Whigs but over a much shorter timeframe. Evangelicals have only been a major part of the GOP for a generation. The Democrats while currently distracted and mostly united in defeating Trump have some institutional trust and corruption issues at least as deep rooted as the GOP's that they are going to have to deal with sooner or later and they will be unable to do so with current leadership because they've all tired their future to Clinton who is the the very definition of untrusted and corrupt.
edit on 17-8-2016 by jefwane because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   
1) According to a source close to Kasich, Donald Jr. has said Trump's vice president would be in charge of domestic and foreign policy.

2) Pence is a hard-core evangelical.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

Without the evangelicals, what else is there?

Fixing what's wrong with their party. Fixing what was killing their brand.

Embracing crazy wasn't the answer, continuing to embrace crazy because they're afraid or unwilling to come to terms with necessary change isn't the answer.
edit on 8/17/2016 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Trump has already promised to appoint pro-life, conservative, Supreme Court Justices. With that being the case Trump might as well be one of them.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Trump has moved the right to the center on gay issues, min wage and single payer, but if trump loses that all goes away.....all of it.

The evangelicals will claim Trump just wasn't "pro life enough" and fall back into the religiously inspired death spirle the GOP has been in for years.

Even if trump loses their will be turmoil, but if he wins....

It especially all goes away because Cruz and his winged monkey friends are still there, AND, Mike Pence is one of them!!!

So, if he wins, and then abdicates - Mike Pence becomes POTUS, and he's as Evangelical Right-Wing Westboro-style Dominionist!

It is terrifying right now.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

This is actually a crap 'test run' because Trump is not exactly "outside the establishment". He is very much part and parcel of "the establishment". He represents the rich loudmouths.
Cruz represents the Televangelist crooks.

To have someone "outside the establishment" would be next to impossible. And Trump is the LEAST "outside" of any possible movie-star or celebrity or larger-than-life character. He's like a cartoon character. He is entirely unfettered, unbridled, and off the leash.

That is, a madman is ill-suited as an elected President.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

That's pretty hyperbolic, Westboro has virtually zero support from anyone, but I'm glad you publicly think so. It shows the weakness of your insight and anyone who thinks that they do I really can't take seriously at all. That's laughable seriously.

There are some Dominionist evangelicals but most are Dispensationists of some fashion. I probably lean more Dispensationist but have some problems with it. Dominionism is near heresy in my opinion, but both are arguable amongst believers as long as core beliefs are correct.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: jefwane

Wait. You just said what?

I guess I misunderstood your entire premise here. The Evangelicals are dangerous, and they are only one 'acceptability notch' above Westboro, and that is the truth.

Making ALL abortion illegal, and shutting down ALL welfare, and privatizing ALL utilities and infrastructure, and having NO oversight of education, health and human services.......

that is what they want to do.
Dude - I'm sorry, but you need to get up to speed on who these people really are.

Here is a good thread to get more info

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join