It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High Blood Pressure at 25

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 11:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: SentientCentenarian

originally posted by: liveandlearn
a reply to: muse7

I have a 27 yr old grandson with HBP for a couple years now. As does his father. Bothe super active and both very health conscious.

One thing some enlightened docs do is order a magnesium calcium supplement. Magnesium is well know to be needed by all cells in the body and is a relaxant for all systems including blood vessels.

Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate which is used in bath to relax muscles. Milk of Magnesium is used to relax GI muscles to correct constipation. I have used it it to stop heart palpatations (was drinking distilled water which depleted the magnesium).

Add a good quality magnesium to your diet. Do the research for the most absorbable.

THIS!~www.webmd.com...

Pisses me off that a patient with a new diagnosis is just given a prescription rather than a full workup to see if the problem might be dietary and/or based on some other problem like with the kidneys.

Damn people are pill pushers now, not diagnosticians, clinicians or even healers.

Here's a warning to everyone reading this - if your 'doctor' is in and out of the room in 10 minutes or less, doesn't ask many questions at all and doesn't even effin' TOUCH you, much less do a full heart and lung listen, use the stethoscope on your carotid (neck) arteries if you're over 40, palpate your abdomen and schedule a full physical exam including lab work the first time they see you and every year or two after that, get yourself a new doctor (who will probably be just as bad).

Got 1/3 through your post when gave a star...AMEN to all you said but will add. A diagnosis of HBP should not be given from one blood pressure reading due to something called 'white coat syndrome', which equates to anxiety at a Dr. office. Dr should have you take your BP a couple times a day for a week and check again himself in both arms. What many people don't know is that every diagnosis you have stays with you for life and since each diagnosis makes you a more complex patient, the reimbursement is greater. I used to audit Dr.s records for compliance with set standards of 'good practice' thus I am familiar with expectations. My current Dr. would not pass those standards. Like 'SentientCentenarian' said, if your Dr. doesn't give you a physical or ever touch you...as mine hasn't...move on. When I came in complaining of severe palpitations which I thought could be from my long time prolapsed mitral valve, I had to actually ask him to listen to my heart as he was sending me away. Pick the latest pill and prescribe. You have to become your on advocate by educating yourself. Remember the internet can be your friend. Look at traditional and alternative.

Don't know how this ended up in original post so underlined response

edit on 16-8-2016 by liveandlearn because: (no reason given)

edit on Wed Aug 17 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: fixed code

edit on Wed Aug 17 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: removed underlining to make it easier to read

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Eat celery every day.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 01:06 AM
link   
a reply to: JaMeDoIt

No salt?!?! What kind of devil are you!?

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 03:00 AM
link   
I would not take the med before going to a cardiologist first, unles you have 180 or something and your life is at inmidieate risk.

Also as has been said check your kidneys, hypertension is a symptom o f kidney disease but also it can damage them.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Had the same WTF moment but with cholesterol,genetics are a real bitch sometimes.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 06:00 AM
link   

This is not necessarily the bad news that we used to suspect. I read a report last year (either in New Scientist Health section or in the journal Nature) that the latest investigations were showing that high or low blood pressure were not necessarily a problem. The health implications actually appear to revolve around fluctuations between the 2, rather than one or the other.

Now, obviously, it is your health so i would certainly do some further research into that rather than simply taking my (or the articles) word for that. However, it is certainly some research worth doing as it could help to prevent a life on meds - something none of us really want.

I would try Medical and scientific journals but it was definitely last year i read that. If you find the relevent information, discuss with your doctor. It is worth remembering that drug companies sponsor medics to promote their pills, so medics may be unaware of the latest research. If i find any links, i will post.

Good luck. If nothing can be done, no worries life goes on. But if you don't have to take the pills, pursue that course.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Oh my gosh, that is scary.
My children's father has high blood pressure (massively high) and has been told that it and his other issues like high cholesterol and heart disease are hereditary.
He too was active, thin, and his heart disease evidently began in his 20s. He ignored his blood pressure issues for many years. He worked hard and played harder (sex, drugs and rock and roll type lifestyle), still does but at least he takes his medications today. What shook him out of his 'fog' was a heart attack last year at age 44 and finding that his right coronary artery was completely blocked. There's nothing they can do for that. He has nearly daily angina and takes nitro routinely (now).
Just two weeks ago, he had a sonogram on his neck and there is blockage there now.
What's my point? As rare as it is, it can happen and it is good that you know now. Please take those medications regardless of feeling 'old' about it.
I also agree with the above poster who mentioned a good cardiologist. He is now, finally, with one of the best teams in the state and the difference is massive regarding how he had been treated by a PCP and how they are aggressively treating his illness.
Good luck to you sincerely.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   

get another opinion. if the doctor based in diagnosis on either a lousy reading or an anomolous moment, then you may not need it.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   

How many times did they check your BP before prescribing meds? How did it compare to previous recent readings? My BP was generally always excellent, then one time I had a "hypertension" reading. Low on sleep maybe, dehydrated? Or maybe just a bad reading. Seems they may be jumping the gun on the dangerous meds, though i don't know the whole story.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   

I had almost the exact same story. Went in for a check on my eye which I kept getting 'spots' in, and as a routine they checked my bp. Nurse came back concerned and asked if I had a history of high blood pressure, and from there the adventure began.

I was shocked to say the least. Bit older than you though at the time, I was 37. But that's still way too young. I am highly strung though - get annoyed at silly things, and quite emotional in confrontations.

I'd say ignore those that say to keep away from meds, though. I'm no doctor of course, but the longer it goes on the worse it is for you. They measure these things over years though, not weeks - so don't stress too much about it - bit of a catch 22 I know!

I'm on a combination of tablets as not one size fits all. That, and a mix of losing weight (which if you're over is hugely important and plays a big factor in most cases), excercise (at least 45 mins to an hour each day - make time. Also avoid doing it between 6 and 9am as apparently that's when your bp will be at its highest, arteries are harder and blood thicker) and trying not to overstress about things will help.

For me it was definitely stress - had a very stressful contract at a major software vendor with a load of responsibility, so I left as I needed a break. Feel much better now - meds are on a lower dose, with the aim to get rid once I'm a bit fitter after taking up running and kayaking.

So remember, don't stress!

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Your Dr. should recheck it in a month. Your mood, time of day, level of activity prior to the check all can mess up the numbers. Stop into a drug store and check it yourself. If it id high, then worry about the treatment.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

That's good advice. If it's a pain to make the appointments then invest in a BP machine as well - they're not expensive and whilst not 100% accurate, do give you a good idea which way you're going.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join