It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High Blood Pressure at 25

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Today I went in to get my ear checked out because it had been hurting for a while, it was just an inner ear infection..but they also took my blood pressure and they told me that I had hypertension..I'm shocked...I'm 25 and very active and not overweight..my doctor even gave me a prescription for high blood pressure medication, he said that if I didn't get it under control and start taking medication for it then by the time I'm 40 I would be at serious risk for a stroke, heart attack and other serious medical conditions.

I guess I'm shocked becasue I thought high blood pressure affected mainly people that were older and or over weight...but I guess not? My dad also has it and so does my uncle so I guess it's just a family thing.

Now every time I take the meds I'm going to feel 50

/rant.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Man that sucks.I pray that those BP pills work for you.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: muse7

Age, level of activity, weight, diet etc...has no real bearing. There are children with hypertension. Unusual and not the norm...but it happens. And that it does at any age...is like getting juvenile rheumatoid arthritis at 11. ( I got it at 15 years of age.)

MS
EMT/1st Responder
Advanced Life Support

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Cut out all processed foods, all salt, eliminate stress and exercise...no BS it worked for me.
Cheers

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Have your kidneys checked. PKD can cause hypertension in otherwise healthy individuals. Like my wife.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Well, being young does tend to be a factor in most people having lower blood pressure but it is genetic. But don't fret, you can probably help the situation by changes in your diet. I have changed my blood pressure and cholesterol in a major way by eating healthy. My blood pressure is generally 110-115/70-75 and I drink beer like a fish... haha. I'm also 57 years old. pm me if you want to know how to get there.

Oh, I have to add, I also exercise religiously. Both strength training and cardio. I didn't bench press 300 lbs until I was 50 years old.
edit on 8/16/2016 by wtbengineer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   

How much do you drink?
edit on 8/16/16 by NthOther because: to clarify the intended recipient of my response

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

Are you asking op? That's probably a good question. It does make a difference, however, even when I drink excessively nowadays I still have good numbers. There are things you can do to make it better.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther

How much do you drink?

Not much...at most 1-2 beers a month

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Maybe you should up the dosage.

I used to drink a lot and my BP was through the roof because of it (when I wasn't drinking). It's a withdrawal symptom. I was just trying to think of what, at age 25, could cause that.

Alcohol was near the top of the list.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Do you exercise? That can really, really help.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   

I have a 27 yr old grandson with HBP for a couple years now. As does his father. Bothe super active and both very health conscious.

One thing some enlightened docs do is order a magnesium calcium supplement. Magnesium is well know to be needed by all cells in the body and is a relaxant for all systems including blood vessels.

Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate which is used in bath to relax muscles. Milk of Magnesium is used to relax GI muscles to correct constipation. I have used it it to stop heart palpatations (was drinking distilled water which depleted the magnesium).

Add a good quality magnesium to your diet. Do the research for the most absorbable.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Primary Hyperaldosteronism

columbiasurgery.org...

Simple blood test. If you have high aldosterone and low renin.

Definitely check....

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: KilroyRock
Have your kidneys checked. PKD can cause hypertension in otherwise healthy individuals. Like my wife.

Yes. Rule out kidney disease. This is very important.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   
What medication?

Also, if you don't mind... what were your numbers? There are different levels of hypertension. If your numbers are borderline then personally I would have said to dry various dietary and lifestyle changes before the meds. If they're pretty up there, then I understand.

Age is pretty irrelevant. Genetics plays a much bigger role than most people think. You'll find the same to be true for cholesterol levels, especially triglycerides. A lot of people look for things to blame when they see numbers that aren't where they should be. Often times it's not anything you're doing wrong at all.

Either way, it's definitely good that you visited the doctor and are keeping on top of this. Long term hypertension can damage a lot of our systems. Make sure to stay on top of it.

And if it ends up that you do need a pill every day? So what. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with you. It means you care enough about your health to do something about it.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: JaMeDoIt
Cut out all processed foods, all salt, eliminate stress and exercise...no BS it worked for me.
Cheers

Eliminate stress!

This one can't be repeated enough. My blood pressure is bad right now. I know it. I feel it. But no medical insurance and a job that just started to allow me to possibly buy some.
In the past, all I needed was a Valium prescription and a month between doctor visits to amaze them. Some people are just more high strung than others.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: liveandlearn

I have a 27 yr old grandson with HBP for a couple years now. As does his father. Bothe super active and both very health conscious.

One thing some enlightened docs do is order a magnesium calcium supplement. Magnesium is well know to be needed by all cells in the body and is a relaxant for all systems including blood vessels.

Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate which is used in bath to relax muscles. Milk of Magnesium is used to relax GI muscles to correct constipation. I have used it it to stop heart palpatations (was drinking distilled water which depleted the magnesium).

Add a good quality magnesium to your diet. Do the research for the most absorbable.

THIS!~www.webmd.com...

Pisses me off that a patient with a new diagnosis is just given a prescription rather than a full workup to see if the problem might be dietary and/or based on some other problem like with the kidneys.

Damn people are pill pushers now, not diagnosticians, clinicians or even healers.

Here's a warning to everyone reading this - if your 'doctor' is in and out of the room in 10 minutes or less, doesn't ask many questions at all and doesn't even effin' TOUCH you, much less do a full heart and lung listen, use the stethoscope on your carotid (neck) arteries if you're over 40, palpate your abdomen and schedule a full physical exam including lab work the first time they see you and every year or two after that, get yourself a new doctor (who will probably be just as bad).

What a racket medicine has become. Dangerous 'medications' AKA chemicals and sketchy vaccinations with no regard for your potential exposure to certain diseases, no attempt to take a full medical history (you think they READ that thing you filled out in the waiting room? Bwhahahahaaha!)

All they're good for is life threatening trauma, injuries and near organ failures. Otherwise, get thee to the internet and start doing research, you're on your own.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 10:57 PM
link   
And for the inner ear infection - someone your age shouldn't get getting these; they're common in babies because of the posture they have when nursing and their short easily blocked eustachian tubes. Shouldn't happen in adults and can be a sign of issues with dairy intolerance. Knock off the dairy especially liquid milk unless you're a calf. They create a mucous reaction in people that can cause all sorts of upper respiratory and ear problems. Try almond, rice or soy milk in that order instead. The almonds especially are a source of tryptophan which most people don't get enough of. It's the 'happy' neurochemical that we need plenty of, or we don't make enough melatonin, which is what you need to sleep well and normally.

You can buy generic 'Claritin' - loratidine on the internet (Amazon) for super cheap, pennies a day. Works like a charm to combat allergic reactions and won't cause road rage and anxiety nervousness issues like Sudafed/pseudoephedrine does. In Texas this time of year I'm presuming it's humid and therefore, mold. Whatever, if you sneeze a lot, you probably have allergies. Get a pillow and mattress/bedspring anti-allergy encasement and use them. Wash your sheets once a week. People don't like to think about it but our beds are full of dust mites and most everyone is allergic to their droppings. It'll make a world of difference, believe me.

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   
You said your ear had been hurting for a while. Pain can cause a rise in bp. I'm with some of the other posters who say that unless it was dangerously high, changes in diet and lifestyle, along with the cessation of the pain you've experienced with your ear might take care of the problem without having to take the pill. Blood pressure pills have some pretty serious side effects over time. I'm not really surprised that you got put on medication---it seems that's about all the current crop of docs know how to do.
You'd do well to ask the doc to find the cause of the hypertension as suggested.

Are your Dad and uncle active and within their normal weight range?

posted on Aug, 16 2016 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I'm not sure if this was said because there's so many replies, but try getting your b12 levels up.

I believe I have some form of IBS or Crohns which makes your body not absorb b12. Low b12 levels could cause anemia which will make you have high blood pressure in some cases. I just recently turned 26, have family history of hypertension.

My BP was sitting in the 150+/90-110 area until I started taking a multi vitamin/b complex. I checked it a few weeks ago and I was back down to 133/88ish I believe.

<<   2 >>

join